Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So it's a therapeutic. It does nothing to stop the spread.

"It does nothing" isn't accurate...

"It does less against delta than it did against the original strain and Alpha" would be a more accurate description.

Vaccinated people who contract delta may be almost as likely to spread it as unvaccinated people, but there is still a measure of protection with regards to contracting it in the first place, and if you do contract it, your case will be more mild.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes it is about a free country. The vaxed are just as dangerous to others as the unvaxed. That is what is wrong here. It is pointless as a "vax". Those which have natural immunity are more fit than the vaxed, to not spread it.
No. The vaxed are of very very minimal danger to anyone. If someone says otherwise they are blowing smoke or else very uninformed. Breakthrough infections are rare. Probably due to a mishandled dose or a fluke of biology.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No it is not like other vaccines. Vaccines are to give you immunity. Correct that vaccines are not 100%. Which means you could get the disease anyway. With the covid vaxine, that is not true. They can and do spread the virus, as well as many get sick. That they do not usually get as sick because of the shot, puts it in more of a therapeutic category. Vaxines are for immunity, therefore you do not spread it period.
I guess you have your own facts.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"It does nothing" isn't accurate...

"It does less against delta than it did against the original strain and Alpha" would be a more accurate description.
It does nothing to stop the spread
Vaccinated people who contract delta may be almost as likely to spread it as unvaccinated people,
Yes, that was my point.
but there is still a measure of protection with regards to contracting it in the first place, and if you do contract it, your case will be more mild.
I already addressed this aspect. This is a point of therapeutics to an individual themselves. But when it comes to others beyond yourself, you can spread it just like unvaxxed. So why all the hoopla?

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No. The vaxed are of very very minimal danger to anyone. If someone says otherwise they are blowing smoke or else very uninformed. Breakthrough infections are rare. Probably due to a mishandled dose or a fluke of biology.
No the vaxxed may not get infected but they can still spread it.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's correct, it's not a panacea for preventing any/all transmission...but to be fair, that was never the stated goal.

The goal was to lessen the severity and deaths (as to not burden the medical system), and put a dent in some of the transmission.

Dare I say, it's accomplishing that as planned.

There's a lot of things that aren't perfect (in terms of being a preventative measure) that most reasonable people would agree are a net-positive.

Not sure why so many fall into the trap of the "appeal to futility" fallacy when it comes to covid vaccines.

You know, we seem to have to keep sounding a broken record around the people here regarding "the spread' or "Not being 100%" effective. I am starting to wonder if troll accounts are being made here.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You know, we seem to have to keep sounding a broken record around the people here regarding "the spread' or "Not being 100%" effective. I am starting to wonder if troll accounts are being made here.
Your not the only one to wonder that.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then hospital workers in the US "simply" do not live in a free country as I have never met one (myself included) who was not mandated (sans medical or religious exemption) to be current on all required vaccines (including annual flu shot) and a TB test annually as a condition of employment. You can, of course, opt out by finding another place to work.

This is probably off topic, but when did they start doing that?

I've been disabled for 21 years now, but was a nurse prior to that and they offered vaccines like the flu shot and hepatitis free, and always recommended we take them, but left the choice up to us as to whether we took them.

For myself the flu shot seemed to cause the flu, whereas I never got it when I wasn't vaccinated so I said no on the flu shot (with the exception of one or two initial years), though I did go ahead and get the hepatitis vaccine (just in case)... but things like this were always optional in healthcare before... you were free to say either yes or no.

So I'm curious when did they start mandating stuff like that?

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I've been disabled for 21 years now, but was a nurse prior to that and they offered vaccines like the flu shot and hepatitis free, but left the choice up to you as to whether you got them.

For myself the flu shot seemed to cause the flu, whereas I never got it when I wasn't vaccinated so I said no on the flu shot though I did get the hepatitis vaccine (just in case)... but things like this were always optional in healthcare before... you could say either yes or no.

That was 21 years ago, now...vaccines/immunizations are a requirement. I had to in the field I'm in. Had no choice.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That was 21 years ago, now...vaccines/immunizations are a requirement. I had to in the field I'm in. Had no choice.

That's really weird to me... huh. Thanks for the answer. I'll talk to a couple people I know personally in healthcare still and see if this is localized (to your field or area) or if it's widespread. I cant imagine the flu shot being mandatory...that's shocking to me.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I've been disabled for 21 years now, but was a nurse prior to that and they offered vaccines like the flu shot and hepatitis free, and always recommended we take them, but left the choice up to us as to whether we took them.

For myself the flu shot seemed to cause the flu, whereas I never got it when I wasn't vaccinated so I said no on the flu shot (with the exception of one or two initial years), though I did go ahead and get the hepatitis vaccine (just in case)... but things like this were always optional in healthcare before... you were free to say either yes or no.

It is sad it isn't still like that. Everything is so political anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In some places, if medical personnel don't get the vaccine, they can just opt to a wear a mask on their shift.

Some of the option to require weekly testing for Covid, but that won't be helpful.
Are the masks they use helpful either?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Um...I'm not even going to get into this conversation. Next!

hey, it was an honest question. If they are no different than those paper ones everyone wears, they are not that effective. But maybe that is not the case with medical workers.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
It is neither ironic nor messed up. They advise vaccination but they do not compel vaccination. Which is exactly right for people in a free country. If we are no longer a free country then we can have mandates. It's about that simple.

Maybe the hospital could just advise for mask use, sterlisation and hand-washing procedures before operations too. Since it's a free country...

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I suppose it was regional and hospital specific to some degree back then. I am not sure when it started.

First time I worked in a hospital was in 1991 I was required to have all the "normal" adult vaccines, a flu shot every year and a tb test yearly. At that time, I was not in direct patient care. Typically not even in patient rooms at that time, just on the floors, er and all nursing stations.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
'Hospital/Medical worker' could mean an accountant that works at the hospital, a CNA or LPN (two designations of nursing that don't require a heck of a lot of training), a person who works in the cafeteria, or the Attending Neurosurgeon.

It's basically like saying the Software Engineering Technical Lead for Microsoft's OS development team and the 17 year old kid who works at the Geek Squad at Best Buy are both "Tech Workers"...technically a true statement, but those two are not the same thing.

You've bypassed what the Tampa Bay News said. It said thousands of Doctors and nurses won't take the vaccine. It didn't focus on janitors or clerks.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,338.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes it is about a free country. The vaxed are just as dangerous to others as the unvaxed. That is what is wrong here. It is pointless as a "vax". Those which have natural immunity are more fit than the vaxed, to not spread it.

Ok it is a free country issue.

In this country you are free to work anywhere you qualify (and get hired) and that you continue to fulfill your job obligations. Once you stop fulfilling your job obligations, your employer is free to terminate you.

In this free country, no one owes you a job. You have to earn it and keep earning it every day by fulfilling your jobs obligations.

This happens to apply for all jobs, not just healthcare.

Upvote 0