Poll: Views on COVID vaccinations some 3 years on

Which sentiment best describes your position with respect to COVID-19 vaccines

• I believed the vaccine is very harmful, but no longer believe that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believe the vaccine is very harmful, but it will take years for the vaxed to suffer effects.

• I believe the vaccine is very harmful, and most vaxed people are indeed dead.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some people have promulgated the view that COVID-19 vaccines were harmful, even inescapably fatal, to those who received them.

Early on, there was "Tennessee Nurse" who fainted when she received one of the first doses. She was fine then, and was still fine as of earlier this year.

Others supposed that even being in contact with vaccinated people might lead to harmful 'shedding'.

More recently, some supposed that the vaccine was implicated in NFL player Damar Hamlin's collapse on the field early this year. And even that he died on the field and has been replaced by a double.

And in a rare conspiracy theory/Hogwarts cross-over, dating sites for "Purebloods" have sprung up for the unvaccinated to find each other.

So I wanted to take a poll to check the pulse of CF for views on vaccination today, some 3 years after the first introduction.

I will stipulate that I have vaxed at every opportunity, and am one of the 14% of Americans who have taken the recent reformulated vaccine.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My only reservation along the way was the period when Americans were getting multiple boosters while some people in less wealthy countries couldn't access vaccines at all. In general, when I have more than I need and my neighbors have less than they need, I try to share, and I wondered if there was a way to share access to the vaccines more equitably.

The vaccine itself is an amazing scientific achievement (and a blessing from God, if you believe in God).

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
my wife had a mysteriously severe allergic reaction to the second pfizer dose, we expected something to happen, but we did not expect spending 4 days in the hospital and getting her stomach scoped, to investigate what was actually going on. they found nothing wrong, but after 4 days they begrudgingly admitted it might have been an allergic reaction to the vaccine. so they tried Benadryl and sure enough within an hour or so, she was able to eat food and drink water again, without severe abdominal pain.

i did get the first two pfizer shots and a booster, and, it might be other health matters that finally caught up to me but, i'm concerned i haven't felt the same since then.

last winter (12 months ago) got sick with the usual cold viruses, 3 or 4 times in a row. first time in my life that's ever happened. (from age 15 to age 34 i really just never got sick, not once, in any noticeable manner) not sick this year yet.

jan/feb 2019 i think i caught the original covid strain, from my mom who didn't get sick, who gave it to me from a person who had just traveled back to the states from the east.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The fact is... no virus has ever been isolated and proven to exist. Vaccines are a historic fraud.
:rolleyes:

Just COVID-19:

Viruses were shown to exist 130 years ago. The first virus isolated occurred in 1901!

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
my wife had a mysteriously severe allergic reaction to the second pfizer dose, we expected something to happen, but we did not expect spending 4 days in the hospital and getting her stomach scoped, to investigate what was actually going on. they found nothing wrong, but after 4 days they begrudgingly admitted it might have been an allergic reaction to the vaccine. so they tried Benadryl and sure enough within an hour or so, she was able to eat food and drink water again, without severe abdominal pain.

A friend had almost the inverse reaction.

They caught COVID-19 twice before the vaccine was available and ended up with long COVID. Within a week of their first vaccine dose, their long COVID symptoms ended.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Within a week of their first vaccine dose, their long COVID symptoms ended.
i heard the same thing from the person who gave me the booster shot, and.. i think a couple other people, but can't remember.

friend of mine caught covid in the early months at the beginning and he was running up to 14 miles no problem. after covid, he couldn't run more than 2-3 miles without his heart rate spiking above 150. it took him over a year to recover, i don't think he got any shots.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
At the very beginning I had some reservations because I did not trust Trump. He was pushing for shortcuts in the approval process. The demonized big pharma companies refused to bow to his pressure.

Once he was out my physicians were no longer concerned about shortcuts in the process and I was confident.

After my second dose I had some pain in my right arm! Thing is I got the shot at Dodger Stadium and did not get out of the car, which makes it obvious I got it in my left arm!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At the very beginning I had some reservations because I did not trust Trump. He was pushing for shortcuts in the approval process. The demonized big pharma companies refused to bow to his pressure.

Once he was out my physicians were no longer concerned about shortcuts in the process and I was confident.

After my second dose I had some pain in my right arm! Thing is I got the shot at Dodger Stadium and did not get out of the car, which makes it obvious I got it in my left arm!
The soreness was surprising after my initial vaccination. It reminded me of DOMS and felt like I had somehow isolated the single portion of my deltoid that the needle was stuck in then worked it past failure.

The second go around was less sore even though it was the same Pfizer shot. It may have been lost in the general immune response unpleasantness as I had a flu shot at the same visit.

Still want my magnetic powers.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The soreness was surprising after my initial vaccination. It reminded me of DOMS and felt like I had somehow isolated the single portion of my deltoid that the needle was stuck in then worked it past failure.

The second go around was less sore even though it was the same Pfizer shot. It may have been lost in the general immune response unpleasantness as I had a flu shot at the same visit.

Still want my magnetic powers.
Actually, my shot going into Flu season this year had some pain that lasted for a few days. No way to tell which shot caused it. First time in decades I can remember any reaction at all to any vaccination.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Actually, my shot going into Flu season this year had some pain that lasted for a few days. No way to tell which shot caused it. First time in decades I can remember any reaction at all to any vaccination.
The "immune response unpleasantness" I mentioned took the form of moderate joint aches not confined to the injection site which is a typical symptom of flu/general sickness for me so I am going to hang that one of the flu shot for me at least.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just know I'm going to regret replying to this topic. For one, this type of topic seems to derail elsewhere. For another, my opinions on this topic are apt to tick everyone off. But that's no real surprise.

I voted "Other." I took the initial round of vaccinations, though hesitant because of the expedited manner of approval. The vaccine was granted emergency approval to streamline things, since normal approval would have taken longer. What convinced me was data for my state that showed a significant decrease in COVID-19 mortality among the vaccinated in my age group. I did not have a reaction to the first shot, and practically none to the second. I'm of the opinion that how a shot is administered contributes to post-injection site pain.

Anecdotally, several others, including family members, had a reaction to the second shot. I heard many complaints of fever and tiredness. One complained of a disrupted menstrual cycle.

Viruses, though, mutate. I contracted what was likely the Omicron variant (per the doctor, who said that was the most common variant circulating locally at that time). Felt worse as my fever was going up that afternoon. Actually felt better when I went to the doctor the next morning, though I still had a fever. Test confirmed COVID-19, was prescribed medicine, and went home and isolated. Felt tired and sleepy the first day or two. Interestingly, my fever lasted about as long as those I knew who ran a fever after the second shot.

Have I gotten subsequent boosters? No. First, I had Omicron, which sort of made a booster then moot. Second, subsequent mutations (including Omicron) were milder. Right or wrong, I don't think the testing of the current booster approached that of the initial vaccine. Maybe that was due to it being the same type of mRNA vaccine, just for a different variant. Would have to know how updated influenza vaccines are tested to make a comparison.

Side effects is where I have a great parting of the ways with many. All vaccines have the possibility of side effects. That's not discussed much, nor is the idea of trade-offs. The question is always whether the potential benefit (preventing death due to a disease or its complications) outweighs the potential risk. I'm not freaked out by the idea of side effects.

As to the incidents of coronary disease, the great unanswered question seems to be whether those who are unvaccinated and contract COVID-19 also experience the same types of coronary disease in the same percentage. If (and this is speculation), it's a result of the body's immune response, then vaccinated or contracting COVID-19 should show the same level of incidents. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

The big thing is not to make medical decisions based on anecdotal information of unknown pedigree that you come across on a website. Always, always, ask your doctor. Always. Please, if you have any questions or concerns, talk to your doctor. Always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got the first two shots ( shortly after I could) and ONE booster which is all I intend to get.
I got the first two as well. I discussed getting a third with my doctor because they always make me sick. She said that I had none of the risks so she said it was okay to skip it.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I have only had a sore arm with the vaccines. I got novavax recently to visit some elderly elders (their request and I have no problem with it) and for upcoming travel. I had no side effects at all. Or I might be dead right now but with great cell phone service. You decide.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people have promulgated the view that COVID-19 vaccines were harmful, even inescapably fatal, to those who received them.

Early on, there was "Tennessee Nurse" who fainted when she received one of the first doses. She was fine then, and was still fine as of earlier this year.

Others supposed that even being in contact with vaccinated people might lead to harmful 'shedding'.

More recently, some supposed that the vaccine was implicated in NFL player Damar Hamlin's collapse on the field early this year. And even that he died on the field and has been replaced by a double.

And in a rare conspiracy theory/Hogwarts cross-over, dating sites for "Purebloods" have sprung up for the unvaccinated to find each other.

So I wanted to take a poll to check the pulse of CF for views on vaccination today, some 3 years after the first introduction.

I will stipulate that I have vaxed at every opportunity, and am one of the 14% of Americans who have taken the recent reformulated vaccine.
For me, I am vaxxed three times. I didn't get the 4th and 5th because I caught corona in late September 2022, 10 months after my third shot, so that gave me natural super-immunity, and would rather the have the vaccines go towards folks in third world countries instead of wasting a 4th or 5th vaccine on a young healthy man such as myself. Interesting thing, the corona symptoms were mild, and my temp never went above 99°F (37.2°C), while my typical temp runs at 97.7°F (36.5°C). Minimal symptoms is thanks to the effectiveness of the three Moderna vaccines I have gotten prior to catching corona. :)

Vaccines are good for helping protect others from disease, though maybe the vaccine release should have been delayed by another two months to get more data, but overall, I believe the majority of corona vaccines are safe, though I wouldn't recommend anyone pregnant or allergic to eggs to take the vaccine until after pregnancy, or take a vegan vaccine.

Upvote 0