✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Possible scenario?

There's a mass shooting and the shooter escapes with the gun. The state then goes to every registered gun owner and interrogates them and confiscates their guns until law enforcement verifies a strong alibi as to where they were when the shooting took place and checks the ballistics on their gun.
Highly unlikely. Large numbers of gun owners could likely be ruled out a priori before the door-to-door began and then the concentration would be on owners who could or would not produce the gun that was registered to them.

But the shooter got his gun out of state or bought it from a private owner where no background needed to be done.
Under a well-crafted registration program that would no longer be possible.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As most guns used in crimes by felons are stolen from people's homes, and as most accidental discharges resulting in the injury or death of a child are both from firearms that are unsecured, I think it's reasonable to at least to have you agree to safely store your firearm. I really didn't have much of an opinion on this until I had children. That said, if my 15 year old is home alone and someone tries to break in, I think they need a way of protecting themselves too.
that is why I have a problem with being required to secure the gun in a safe or something because what good is it if needed in a hurry?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Highly unlikely. Large numbers of gun owners could likely be ruled out a priori before the door-to-door began and then the concentration would be on owners who could or would not produce the gun that was registered to them.

Under a well-crafted registration program that would no longer be possible.
Pretty much anything is possible if wanted badly enough.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As most guns used in crimes by felons are stolen from people's homes, and as most accidental discharges resulting in the injury or death of a child are both from firearms that are unsecured, I think it's reasonable to at least to have you agree to safely store your firearm. I really didn't have much of an opinion on this until I had children. That said, if my 15 year old is home alone and someone tries to break in, I think they need a way of protecting themselves too.
Quite right. And if your gun is stolen or otherwise goes astray and subsequently used in a crime and you didn't report it, then as the last known registered owner you would be on the hook for abetting. That would motivate owners to keep their guns safe and secure and to not sell them without a proper title transfer.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quite right. And if your gun is stolen or otherwise goes astray and subsequently used in a crime and you didn't report it, then as the last known registered owner you would be on the hook for abetting. That would motivate owners to keep their guns safe and secure and to not sell them without a proper title transfer.
Remember it is on the STATE to prove guilt, so even if they arrested you does not mean a thing unless they can prove it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Remember it is on the STATE to prove guilt, so even if they arrested you does not mean a thing unless they can prove it.
Prove that the criminal his an improperly registered firearm in his possession? Not hard. Prove that you, the last-known registered owner haven't got the gun any more and didn't report it as stolen or sold? Not hard, either.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Prove that the criminal his an improperly registered firearm in his possession? Not hard. Prove that you, the last-known registered owner haven't got the gun any more and didn't report it as stolen or sold? Not hard, either.
no prove that YOU committed the shooting.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also what if you said you sold it and then the new person did not register it?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
no prove that YOU committed the shooting.
That scenario was not contemplated in my example. The cops aren't going to say "We arrested a guy with your gun in his hand standing over a dead body and therefore you did the shooting." Although if your gun was found and linked to the murder but there was no known perp you might be in for some unpleasantness.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Also what if you said you sold it and then the new person did not register it?
Then he would be in trouble, because the paperwork you have to file would show that you sold it to him. As a practical matter, though, title transfer and re-registration would undoubtedly be the same administrative action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That scenario was not contemplated in my example. The cops aren't going to say "We arrested a guy with your gun in his hand standing over a dead body and therefore you did the shooting." Although if your gun was found and linked to the murder but there was no known perp you might be in for some unpleasantness.
and in the latter case the state would have to prove YOU did the shooting else there would be no conviction to stand. Which would also mean that the person who DID the shooting would still be free ( unless charged with another crime.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then he would be in trouble, because the paperwork you have to file would show that you sold it to him. As a practical matter, though, title transfer and re-registration would undoubtedly be the same administrative action.
sounds to me this would take a lot of manpower and red tape. Particularly if done on the national level.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
and in the latter case the state would have to prove YOU did the shooting else there would be no conviction to stand. Which would also mean that the person who DID the shooting would still be free ( unless charged with another crime.
Of course. But the cops would still want to know why you don't have the gun any more. Was it stolen or lost and you didn't report it? That would be a crime in itself. Did you sell it to someone illegally? That would be an even worse crime if they could prove it and we haven't even got to the murder yet.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am aware of the language used by Jefferson. "Endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights ...."

It was hyperbole. Intentionally overstating his case.

So are you saying that what Jefferson said was untrue and incorrect?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you familiar with the term "prefatory clause?" Heller v. DC ruling?

The operative part of the 2nd amendment is "The right of the people"

We are the people:

Amendment II. BEARING ARMS

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

We, ALL PEOPLE, have an inalienable right to bear arms, because we right of self-defense that is self-evident.

I am familiar with it, and I see it as a way to change the meaning of the 2nd amendment and a way to skirt around any reasonable government regulation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics