Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

A Texas man is behind bars after he allegedly held multiple migrants at gunpoint on New Year’s Eve and said he was “doing it for America.” Steven Matthew Driscoll, 27, was taken into custody last Wednesday and charged with one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, disorderly conduct – displaying a firearm, and evading arrest in a motor vehicle, records reviewed by Law&Crime show.

A federal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas also charged Driscoll with one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. In 2018, Driscoll was convicted on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and sentenced to three years in a state prison.

In subsequent interviews with investigators, Driscoll allegedly admitted to being in possession of a firearm despite knowing that possessing a gun was illegal due to his previous felony conviction. He also allegedly admitted to intentionally evading law enforcement because he had a firearm in his vehicle when he was stopped by police.

Reactions: iluvatar5150

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A Texas man is behind bars after he allegedly held multiple migrants at gunpoint on New Year’s Eve and said he was “doing it for America.” Steven Matthew Driscoll, 27, was taken into custody last Wednesday and charged with one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, disorderly conduct – displaying a firearm, and evading arrest in a motor vehicle, records reviewed by Law&Crime show.

A federal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas also charged Driscoll with one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. In 2018, Driscoll was convicted on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and sentenced to three years in a state prison.

In subsequent interviews with investigators, Driscoll allegedly admitted to being in possession of a firearm despite knowing that possessing a gun was illegal due to his previous felony conviction. He also allegedly admitted to intentionally evading law enforcement because he had a firearm in his vehicle when he was stopped by police.
Provided the gun was sold to him after he'd already reached "felon status", whoever participated in that transaction should face some charges as well.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Leviticus 19:33: And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.
Leviticus 19:34: But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Exodus 22:21 - Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Exodus 23:9 - Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

There are so many verses more.

Reactions: crixus
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Provided the gun was sold to him after he'd already reached "felon status", whoever participated in that transaction should face some charges as well.
If he bought the weapon from a private seller in Texas, that seller was not required to do a background check.

Hooray for the gun-show loophole!

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If he bought the weapon from a private seller in Texas, that seller was not required to do a background check.

I think the more accurate description would be the "private transfer loophole"

Any gun show I've ever been to has all been licensed gun dealers setting up stands and moving last year's merch they couldn't sell in their store and still doing the same paperwork and background checks they'd do in their physical store, but it may be a little different in Texas than it is in Ohio.

But private transfers would be tough to track regardless. Even if there were stringent laws on paper and every state had a registry, the cops can't be everywhere at once. It'd be tough to track down a person who scratched the serial numbers off and sold it to a random guy at a truck stop when no one was watching.

So while it's a loophole, it'd be a very tough hole to plug... at least in terms of prevention. If you can get the perp to roll over on the person who sold it to them, they could be caught that way, but that's not really a prevention measure since the damage is already done at that point.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Whoo-Hoo! With more guns out there more people can protect themselves from the "bad guys." :clap:

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This may come as a shock to a non-American, but individuals can sell their firearms without going to a gun show. That's probably going to cause a serious case of the vapors right there for non-Americans, but there it is. And now all the non-Americans will probably tell us how this is terribly wrong.

Since I've never considered selling a firearm, I don't know about the applicable laws for individuals, but I do know there are laws against straw buying, buying a firearm or firearms for someone else. I also know there is a risk for the buyer, because there is the question of where the firearm came from. Being found with a stolen firearm is seriously not cool.

Something else not cool is to sell a firearm to a convicted felon. So here we have a convicted felon who is forbidden from having firearms found with a firearm that he bought from someone who may well have known he was a felon. My, how well those gun laws work.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But private transfers would be tough to track regardless. Even if there were stringent laws on paper and every state had a registry, the cops can't be everywhere at once. It'd be tough to track down a person who scratched the serial numbers off and sold it to a random guy at a truck stop when no one was watching.
Will add we have no information about this private seller. It could have been a hood in a back alley.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This may come as a shock to a non-American, but individuals can sell their firearms without going to a gun show.
That's what the loop-hole of private sellers in the US not needing to do a background check is called, so you can save yourself the condescension.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
At least someone tried to stop them.. the wrong way lol and was stopped but.. need to build that wall.
You know a wall was proposed to be built but it was simply impossible to complete? That kind of infrastructure is just too big/complex for America to construct.

Even with the full weight and oversight of a president and control of both houses it was found to be impossible.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is indeed not a condescending statement.
Tell you what: Since most likely my objecting to your condescending statements will likely not stand, then why don't I just elsewhere. I'd add "Does that work for you?" but I don't particularly care if it does.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Tell you what: Since most likely my objecting to your condescending statements will likely not stand, then why don't I just elsewhere. I'd add "Does that work for you?" but I don't particularly care if it does.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How does pointing a gun at migrants do anything for America? Does it help with wage stagnation, the huge and growing wealth gap, an insanely expensive and mediocre healthcare system, environmental pollution, or something else that affects the country?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0