Sweden may have the answer to America’s gun problem

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Are you trying to be provocative or cute? Either way, it's not funny. We have a severe gun problem in the US! There are too many people who use guns inappropriately, bringing danger to themselves and others. It's like giving 9-year-olds the keys to the family car; it's a guarantee that somebody will be hurt or killed.

The Second Amendment is about "a well-regulated militia", not a bunch of untrained, irresponsible people who want to take the law into their own hands (literally).

BTW, I am a lifelong shooter and hunter.

"Well regulated" doesn't mean what you think it means. You should do some research on that. It would be informative.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The law abiding person does not reason the way a non law abiding person reasons.
Stanton E. Samenow wrote this good resource on this-https://reflexhandgun.com/2020/09/22/book-review-inside-the-criminal-mind-by-stanton-e-samenow/

With the criminal it is the probability of apprehension that deters crime, not catching one in one hundred and throwing the book at that person with life-for-petty-crime punishments.
Concealed carry works this way, the thought any person may be armed carries that protection to the unarmed as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it a great idea to build a society that uses violence or the threat thereof to keep everyone in check. Surely that’s only good up to a point?? After that you’ll have to evolve and try to build a society that is kept in check for a better reason that the threat of violence?

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The law abiding person does not reason the way a non law abiding person reasons.
I’m not sure the lines are so black and white as you are stating here. Criminal/non-criminal, good guy/bad guy. Criminals - reason like this. Non-criminals - reason like that.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
There are people born that way as well, some are born with no empathy what so ever I have knew a few like that over the years. Some people get every advantage, good home, loving parents, the perfect childhood and they turn out to be monsters...by that same token there are those who grow up in the worst life you can imagine and turn out good. But the majority of people are formed by the way they were raised.

I disagree with that. Genetics has a much larger role to play than you realize. I think it's.more of a 50/50 deal or maybe more slanted towards genetics. Having had four children and 12 grandchildren I can see it all the time. Also looking around at life and parents and children around me will tell you that as well. I grew up with a good friend who had 2 brothers and a sister. They were all raised the same. 1 brother went off the rails.

My wife had a horrible horrible childhood. Yet she is a wonderful person, her sister also is. Her brothers have some issues but aren't out of control.

Now, that being said, I believe parents, good ones and a home with a mom and dad are vital for a good society. An intact family is necessary to provide kids the safety, security and instruction they need. Sometimes kids still go bad. But I think it is evident that good parenting with an intact home have the greatest influence on how a kid turns out in the long run. I think scientific studies bear this out. Those kids with bad genes can be guided along the right path and probably will be be better off for it.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neither of these two responses give recognition to the spiritual aspect, the adversary comes to steal, kill and destroy, Christ came that we might have life in abundance, 2 children in the same circumstances may make separate decisions on how to respond, and then again a child may answer the temptation to become rebellious even though they have had all the benefits of a stable, loving environment.
And it does appear that brain chemistry may be a factor in children who appear to have been born with aberrant thinking, but then that must also be a part of the sin filled world where satan is the prince.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neither of these two responses give recognition to the spiritual aspect, the adversary comes to steal, kill and destroy, Christ came that we might have life in abundance, 2 children in the same circumstances may make separate decisions on how to respond, and then again a child may answer the temptation to become rebellious even though they have had all the benefits of a stable, loving environment.
And it does appear that brain chemistry may be a factor in children who appear to have been born with aberrant thinking, but then that must also be a part of the sin filled world where satan is the prince.
are you referring to my response?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
When I was a kid toys gun were not very realistic. In fact my brother and I made most our toy guns. We once made Winchester rifles out of wood and finished them with orange shellac.

I had the good old six shooter cap gun and holster. They were great!

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I’m not sure the lines are so black and white as you are stating here. Criminal/non-criminal, good guy/bad guy. Criminals - reason like this. Non-criminals - reason like that.

I think it is black and white. Criminals commit crime because they have the criminal mind set. Non-criminals don't commit crime because they have a law abiding mind set. They know what is right and wrong and would rather do right than wrong. Criminals by and large know what is right a wrong also. But they don't care. They want what other people have and have no compunction against taking what others have, assaulting others, killing others, raping others etc. They have seared their conscience. It's all about them and they don't care how they harm others.

Non-criminals care about others and care about the law. They know in order to have a good society we must be decent people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it is black and white. Criminals commit crime because they have the criminal mind set. Non-criminals don't commit crime because they have a law abiding mind set. They know what is right and wrong and would rather do right than wrong. Criminals by and large know what is right a wrong also. But they don't care. They want what other people have and have no compunction against taking what others have, assaulting others, killing others, raping others etc. They have seared their conscience. It's all about them and they don't care how they harm others.

Non-criminals care about others and care about the law. They know in order to have a good society we must be decent people.
But people do both good and bad things. Selfish and unselfish things. They are a mixture at different times.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If we are truly Christian we view the world through the lens of the Creator and know there are only two kingdoms, His of light and the adversaries of darkness. There is no gray area in sin and any sin separates us from the Father.
we are talking about people though. Are you saying people are either good or evil? And that distinction should be based on a past action(s)?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had the good old six shooter cap gun and holster. They were great!

Never could get the cap guns to work. What we did was to whack a whole rolls of caps with a hammer against the curb. It sounded like a cannon. Neighbors would yell. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Americans have a sin problem not a gun problem. The gun problem as you state is a result of sin and the rejection of God and the morality of God in the United States.
You might call it a problem that they “keep people in check” with violence or the threat thereof. So spiritually immature use of technology maybe??

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But people do both good and bad things. Selfish and unselfish things. They are a mixture at different times.

That's right, but not everyone is a criminal. When I say criminal I don't mean people who have broken a law in their life. I mean people who are criminals as part of their existence.

We not just talking about selfish people who might act selfishly without breaking a law.

Upvote 0