✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Surely You Jest!

All Scripture is inspired, but some Scriptures are more inspired than other. So we create a canon within the canon. Heresy, anyone?

I note that the original citation of Re 15:3 began half way through the verse. I note that the unposted half of the verse references the Song of Moses. And I note that this is not the Song that Moses sung (see Ex 15), but that what you have is a version of the Song of Moses. Moreover, I note that Moses' Song was sung at the crossing of the Red Sea. And I see that the Re 15 version of Moses' Song is sung in connection with the fiery (red?) sea of glass. Could there be a connection? Does John mean for us to make a theological connection between the deliverance of God's people at the Red Sea, and what he describes in context of Re 15? It seems likely.

Blessings!
Covenant Heart

Sweet! I'm a heretic!!! :clap: Many great men of faith have been called such; I am now in great company which continues to humble me. :)

You confuse the matter of translation with the importance of the song.

God bless,
JS

Upvote 0

Covenant Heart

Principled Iconoclast
Jul 26, 2003
At home
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
I Don't Know If You're Being "Playful" Or What...

But if you seriously believe that there is a canon within the canon (which implies that some Scripture has lower status and some has higher), then I really think that such opinions need to be confined to the unorthodox theology board.

Blessings!
Covenant Heart

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I never said that, but nice try.

I'm not being playful. If you want to accuse me of being a heretic in a round-about kind of way for talking about the Word then that's your choice. I'm a 'heart-on-my-sleeve' kind of guy and I like having free speech; It will offend many when I say things I say but if it makes them think then I'm content. My faith doesn't depend on your canon; It depends on Christ.

God bless,
JS

Upvote 0

Covenant Heart

Principled Iconoclast
Jul 26, 2003
At home
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
The "Canon" Isn't Mine...

"Canon" means "rule," and as such is used to describe our relationship to the Scripture as the word of God. We sometimes hear the expression, the "canon of Scripture," meaning the rule of Scripture, which is God's royal word-rule for our lives.
kanw,n, o,noj, o` from the Hebrew for cane or reed; (1) literally measuring rod or rule; figuratively, as a measure of assessment of a prescribed norm of action or duty standard, rule, principle (Gal 6.16).
Friberg Lexicon​

Blessings!
Covenant Heart

Upvote 0

JesusServant

Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The "Canon" Isn't Mine...

"Canon" means "rule," and as such is used to describe our relationship to the Scripture as the word of God. We sometimes hear the expression, the "canon of Scripture," meaning the rule of Scripture, which is God's royal word-rule for our lives.

Blessings!
Covenant Heart

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere... Jesus said

Mat 22:37 And he said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the great and first commandment.
Mat 22:39 And a second like unto it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments the whole law hangeth, and the prophets.

In simple terms, Jesus was making the point that if every man woman and child obeyed these two simple rules/canons/laws then everything would fall into place.

Upvote 0

Covenant Heart

Principled Iconoclast
Jul 26, 2003
At home
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't It...

The summary of the law is a very powerful thing. I once read that the word "sum" is fitting because the word in Mt 22 is not a shortened version of the law, or a selection of the most important ponts of the law, but a comprehensive summary of the WHOLE law of God. The point being that there never was another word but "love."

Of course, there are other such expressions in Scripture. My personal favorite is Micah 6:8.

"He has told you, O man, what is good. And what does Yahweh require of you but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Powerful!

Blessings!
Covenant Heart

Upvote 0

JesusServant

Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think there's a rapture either; At least not as taught in modern churchianity.

One simple thing is this; If the Lord returns with His reward with Him why would we want to go elsewhere? If Jesus is bringing my reward to me (personally) for my faith in Him then I go fly into another dimension while He's on earth then um... hello... see the failed logic? Then Christ would be on earth and we'd be in Heaven. Not good. Whereever Christ is where we should want to be. I know I've seen very simple things in my own life lately that blow my mind. So I am impatient to see what I know is coming.

Here's a good song to describe what it is like to walk with Christ.

Wherever We Go - NewsBoys

by Peter Furler, Steve Taylor, Phil Joel, Lynn Nichols and Tedd T.

Wherever we go, bluebirds sing
And the flowers bloom, and the grass gets green
It's a curious thing
But it's just our thing

Wherever we go, the bees behave
In the treetops, squirrels smile and wave
It's a curious thing
And it's humbling

Where we go, little glow-worms glow
Little roadrunners run ahead
Gonna tell their friends
Little mice, little men
Get 'em all excited, all invited

HANDS UP
HOLLER BACK HERE
LET'S THROW THIS PARTY IN GEAR
WE BROUGHT THE WELCOME MAT
WHEREVER WE GO, THAT'S WHERE THE PARTY'S AT

HANDS UP
HOLLER BACK NOW
WE DON'T CLAIM ANY KNOW-HOW
WE’RE GIVING GOD ALL THAT

Wherever we go, the dumb get wise
And the crime rates drop, and the markets rise
It's a curious thing
But it's just our thing

Bullies make nice, crooks repent
And the ozone layer shows improvement
It's a curious thing
And it's humbling

Wherever we're led, all the Living Dead
Wanna leave their Zombie Mob
It's a touching scene when they all come clean
God help us, we just love our job

HANDS UP
HOLLER BACK HERE
LET'S THROW THIS PARTY IN GEAR
WE BROUGHT THE WELCOME MAT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.