Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates.

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am would have to look at it more closely, but don't you think it is odd that the virus skews on political lines. just an initial thought, with no data to back it up, could it rural vs city, or could it be rich vs poor. Trump votes do come from rural areas were access is limited. poor trump votes don't have access to vaccines. while poor biden voters live in metro areas and do. so that could be a possibility. just guessing though.
Obviously the virus doesn't care which political party or ideology a victim subscribes to.

Just pointing out the various rates by the 2020 election outcomes shows some significant correlation (which is odd and interesting), but it doesn't point to causation.

It could be many things:
  • Age of voter
  • Education levels
  • Acceptance of Covid Pandemic
  • Acceptance of measures to combat pandemic
  • Vaccine take up
  • Sources of trusted information (politicians, media shows, facebook, google, youtube etc)
It could be a combination of the above, or some other things that I haven't listed. But it is something that Trump supporters are more likely to do and that non Trump supporters are less likely to do or be.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say they were neutral. I just said that I do trust their factual reporting. But my personal impression is that their editorial decisions in who to interview seem to a bit slanted to the left. (Which is fine for me, since my opinions also slant a bit to the left.)

It is just a personal impression, not a strongly held view that I care to argue. NPR is a lot more balanced that certain other sources I could name. But out of respect for my conservative friends, I am just acknowledging that NPR may not be a perfectly unbiased source in all respects.

When I consume news and information, I try to clearly distinguish in my mind what is factual reporting and what is commentary, and I pretty much discount all commentary, regardless of what side it is coming from. Most reputable sources, including NPR, are pretty good at keeping a line between these two things.
Speaking of NPR, there was a wonderful interview I posted a while back (well more than 1, but 1 in particular) that you might like, possibly. With Carrie Underwood, who is quite an amazing singer.
First a representative performance, and then the NPR link is 2nd, further down below this video:

Enjoy! -- Carrie Underwood shares her faith to millions on National Public Radio

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like this thread is now focused on NPR
Yes, there was some questioning that came up about fact on the wrongful basis that one would need to consider whether something is fact depending on who said it. -- Post #4 might have helped start that.

As if a source would matter for whether something is fact, and perhaps that's the more immediate thing to point out than to try to point out NPR is pretty neutral -- facts don't depend on who says them, but on whether they can be verified.

But...if highly informative fact based reporting like NPR gets trashed, we are losing something far more important in the long run than merely who knows what about recent fact R3.

To destroy the U.S., its enemies would need to make more people distrust the most legitimate neutral sources like NPR and so on.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you. Good observation rendering Tim’s post about vitamin d trivially incorrect.

I live in Florida. We don't go out in the summer alot here, we stay indoors alot. It's our "winter" season in terms of activities. That's why COVID cases surged here during the summer, people were indoors.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But my personal impression is that their editorial decisions in who to interview seem to a bit slanted to the left.
Well, while that's been true it seems to me at times (some weeks here and there) in the past (I've heard hundreds of NPR interviews over the years)...

It's definitely not true anymore, in the last couple of years.

These from this morning were fun to listen to actually:

Virginia's first Black woman lieutenant governor says we need to move on from slavery

On Saturday, Republican Winsome Sears will make history in Virginia by becoming the first Black woman to hold statewide office when she is sworn in as lieutenant governor alongside the governor-elect, Republican Glenn Youngkin.

Sears will preside over the state Senate and cast tie-breaking votes that could prove decisive on her political priorities, including restricting abortion and adding new charter schools. The Jamaican-born Republican frames her success as proof that the U.S. is progressing when it comes to race.

"I'm from another country, another culture," Sears says. "But here I am. I see racism as one more hurdle in life."

The 57-year-old doesn't fit easily into a box. In her campaign literature, Sears is a gun-toting Marine Corps veteran who will banish Critical Race Theory from Virginia's schools. Sears is also a philanthropist, a former director of a homeless shelter and a volunteer for a prison ministry. And she is a comeback story – someone who overcame a traumatic childhood, political setbacks and family tragedy to come within one heartbeat of the governor's mansion.

Sears plans to use her new power to address what she sees as pressing problems: a country that under-educates its children and over-taxes its citizens, as well as a state unwilling to move on from its dark past.

"Slavery happened, absolutely," Sears says. "And there are some vestiges of it. But how long are we going to go back there?"

(...continues at link above, which also has the audio)
===

Not really liberal, right?

Nor this one, which maybe not ultra conservative, is still a great example of how NPR interviews diverse people, and it's really at least in the last years (last 3 years) false to say they interview mostly liberals, as you notice from another from this morning:

Why NBA player and political activist Enes Kanter added Freedom to his legal name

This matters for us as Christians, because -0- (zero) people who say intentional falsehoods can make it into heaven, as we read in several places in the New Testament. Unless they repent. Which includes real change.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status