Fauci's Former NIH Boss Finally Admits COVID Lockdown Was 'Another Mistake We Made'

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What was the mortally RATE of co-vid maybe 2% locking down for months over something that kills MAYBE 2 in 100 people that get it?
On a planet with 8 billion people, we are talking about a lot of unnecessary deaths.

Most people that died had other issues anyway.
I’ve heard abortion advocates make similar sounding arguments.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
co-vid really had a lower than 2 percent rate if 2% of people that made it to the hospital died ( which would be the 1 in 50 the user earlier asserted yet most people did not end up in the hospital with it.
You've been given very accurate excess death rates. Why ignore them?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing "Lockdowns" but I never really saw it, I worked at Wal-Mart 5 days a week, people were shopping every day I was there, No toilet paper or Clorox wipes but there was other stuff, was able to get lunch at McDonalds, managed to drive to Indianapolis and get a hotel room, drove to Arkansas and got a hotel there too, Drove to Virginia, Got rooms in Pennsylvania and Virginia, visited two Navy bases (Little Creek and Norfolk) wife got a dependent ID card, went to Jamestown but they closed because of a wind storm, Williamsburg was fun though, was able to drill with the Michigan National Guard and do two week summer, flew to Virginia on a pretty full plane, got a Commission as an officer in the US Navy, Flew to Hawaii for my first ship on a pretty full plane, I did have to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel (the Hale Koa), finished my tour in September 2021, flew home, went to Niagara New York for a Rev War re-enactment at FT. Niagara, Chilled for a week at Gettysburg PA so wife could buy out the outlet stores and flew back to Virginia on another pretty full plane, and was put on a new ship. Now, I'm sure that there were lockdowns because that's what people are saying, but I didn't see any of the Wal-Mart shoppers or employees, restaurant workers, gas station attendants, rest stop personnel, hotel workers, airline workers, truck drivers, military personnel, Hawaiian tourists, outlet store employees, or historical reenactors "Locked Down" I guess I just managed to live a sheltered life.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How long did those people think the economy could survive lock-downs what were people trying to do get it to go away,
LOL, you don't even know why the lock downs were happening?
Perhaps educate yourself before making all these comments in the forum.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some thoughts more random than usual:

Lockdowns are what happens in prison when prisoners are restricted to their cells. That the same term is now applied to citizens as a whole is interesting.
Prisoners also exercise in the yard and buy food at the commissary. That the same term is used for something that happens in prison and something that happens in civil society isn't really relevant.
Look for a study out of New York City that showed surprising levels of transmission of COVID-19 among those who were "locked down." In hindsight, this is likely due to people having to buy necessities, which means going out into public and handling surfaces handled by others.
Surface transmission of COVID is pretty low, despite the initial fears. Unless you stick your hand in a puddle of snot (ewww) or touch a surface that someone just sneezed on and is still wet, you're probably not going to pick up a sufficient amount of the virus to cause an infection. Precautions like leaving packages outside for a week after dousing them in alcohol and/or bleach were excessive, in hindsight. However, many buildings in NYC have shared ventilation systems with inadequate filtration. So even if you're locked in your apartment, you're probably still breathing the same air as the guy next door. It also could be transmitted through poor plumbing (here's an example from the 2003 SARS outbreak, which is from the same family of viruses).
The first confirmed case was in Wuhan. There is a biolab in Wuhan that was doing gain-of-function research. And we can't ask "Hey, could this be man-made?" That's interesting, too.
You're absolutely allowed to ask that. The question has been asked many times, by many people, and is being investigated by experts who know a lot more about that kind of thing than you or I. The answer so far is, "We're not sure." There is evidence that the Hunan Market was the origin point (most of the early patients had a connection to the market, and genetic data points in that direction as well), but there are also reasons to believe that it could have originated at the Wuhan lab (they were working on coronaviruses and had some issues with safety procedures). Investigations into the origins of the virus are still ongoing, and probably will continue for many years. The problem is that it's been turned into a political issue, and certain groups of people have decided that the answer is one thing or another, despite the lack of any conclusive evidence in any particular direction.
Most locally are employed in what's termed essential services, which means while cities were "lock downed," most of us were still "going out amongst them," even though everyone was doing that when they shopped for groceries. I don't recall our incidence of infection were any higher than cities.
But were they significantly lower? Transmission in cities is driven by the inherent proximity that you have to other people just by existing there. As I already pointed out, living in an apartment building means that you're sharing air with hundreds of people, and in many cities, you could spit out your window and hit another building. Moreover, cities have plenty of "essential workers" as well, so people were still going out there despite the "lockdowns" too. In a rural area, assuming a full lockdown, the rate of infection should approach zero, with any pockets of cases easy to isolate (since the only people you would come into contact with are the people in your household). Add in any level of in-person interaction with outside groups, and that rate will quickly rise. It still may not be worse than a city where a smaller percentage of the population is going out, simply because you're not being exposed to anyone else's germs when you go home, but you're definitely going to get more spread than you would if no one went out.
Saw a lot of kneejerk reactions during the pandemic. One municipality banned large gatherings, which made sense and which it had done during the Spanish Flu pandemic, but then also enacted a curfew. Hello? If large gatherings are banned, why do you need a curfew? I don't recall any COVID-19 viruses arrested for breaking curfew.
Curfews are a way to reduce the load on a city's police and emergency services. Even if they're not actually arresting anyone for violating it, it reduces traffic (and corresponding traffic accidents), reduces crime, and makes enforcement of other laws easier. All good things when EMS is overwhelmed by COVID cases and police staffing is reduced.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I keep hearing "Lockdowns" but I never really saw it, I worked at Wal-Mart 5 days a week, people were shopping every day I was there, No toilet paper or Clorox wipes but there was other stuff, was able to get lunch at McDonalds, managed to drive to Indianapolis and get a hotel room, drove to Arkansas and got a hotel there too, Drove to Virginia, Got rooms in Pennsylvania and Virginia, visited two Navy bases (Little Creek and Norfolk) wife got a dependent ID card, went to Jamestown but they closed because of a wind storm, Williamsburg was fun though, was able to drill with the Michigan National Guard and do two week summer, flew to Virginia on a pretty full plane, got a Commission as an officer in the US Navy, Flew to Hawaii for my first ship on a pretty full plane, I did have to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel (the Hale Koa), finished my tour in September 2021, flew home, went to Niagara New York for a Rev War re-enactment at FT. Niagara, Chilled for a week at Gettysburg PA so wife could buy out the outlet stores and flew back to Virginia on another pretty full plane, and was put on a new ship. Now, I'm sure that there were lockdowns because that's what people are saying, but I didn't see any of the Wal-Mart shoppers or employees, restaurant workers, gas station attendants, rest stop personnel, hotel workers, airline workers, truck drivers, military personnel, Hawaiian tourists, outlet store employees, or historical reenactors "Locked Down" I guess I just managed to live a sheltered life.
I think the problem with this post is that you're using evidence your own eyes and ears rather than uncritically accepting what far-right misinformation sources were saying.

• Wow
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prisoners also exercise in the yard and buy food at the commissary. That the same term is used for something that happens in prison and something that happens in civil society isn't really relevant.
Oh? It's called a lockdown in prisons because the cells are locked down. The use of the term implies a less than flattering view of citizens.

Surface transmission of COVID is pretty low, despite the initial fears. Unless you stick your hand in a puddle of snot (ewww) or touch a surface that someone just sneezed on and is still wet, you're probably not going to pick up a sufficient amount of the virus to cause an infection. Precautions like leaving packages outside for a week after dousing them in alcohol and/or bleach were excessive, in hindsight. However, many buildings in NYC have shared ventilation systems with inadequate filtration. So even if you're locked in your apartment, you're probably still breathing the same air as the guy next door. It also could be transmitted through poor plumbing (here's an example from the 2003 SARS outbreak, which is from the same family of viruses).
Odds still favor transmission because people have to buy things like groceries and could not truly isolate.

The problem is that it's been turned into a political issue, and certain groups of people have decided that the answer is one thing or another, despite the lack of any conclusive evidence in any particular direction.
That's true. Even asking the question is frowned upon in some circles. If you ask if I have evidence that it originated in the lab, my answer is no. If it didn't, it's an interesting coincidence, but coincidences do happen. China was very sensitive about being associated with the disease, and that's interesting; if it's a coincidence, maybe they wondered the same thing.

In a rural area, assuming a full lockdown, the rate of infection should approach zero, with any pockets of cases easy to isolate (since the only people you would come into contact with are the people in your household).

In rural areas, people tend to do things like grow food, raise livestock, log, mine, pump oil, and other things deemed essential services. Lockdown barbers, and people have longer hair. Lockdown farmers, and people starve. So it was each day we went out amongst them, before masking, before vaccines.. And while you insist apartments have shared ventilation, such isn't always the case. If lockdowns were "all that," we should see less cases where they were prevalent. Offhand, I don't recall that, and that may be because even if you couldn't work or go to a restaurant or a concert or any other large gathering, you still had to buy essentials. There was still contact.

Curfews are a way to reduce the load on a city's police and emergency services. Even if they're not actually arresting anyone for violating it, it reduces traffic (and corresponding traffic accidents), reduces crime, and makes enforcement of other laws easier. All good things when EMS is overwhelmed by COVID cases and police staffing is reduced.

So to trim their workload, they add to it by looking for curfew breakers? Remember, there was already a ban on large gatherings. I suspect that municipality went with a curfew for the same reason I saw people buy cases of water at the start of a pandemic: That's what we do here during natural disasters. Curfews during and after a hurricane, tornado, or ice storm is due mainly to road hazards, and also for looting. That's why we stock up on water and foods that don't require refrigeration if there's a possibility the power will go out. At the start of the pandemic, locals stocked up on items anticipating quarantine, which was wise, but out of habit also bought water, because that's what we do to prepare for a disaster. I strongly suspect the planners in that municipality enacted curfews because that's what they do following a disaster, and was more habit than anything else.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh? It's called a lockdown in prisons because the cells are locked down. The use of the term implies a less than flattering view of citizens.
What would you call it then?
Odds still favor transmission because people have to buy things like groceries and could not truly isolate.
That definitely factored in, but the same circumstances would apply everywhere - everyone needs to eat. You said that the rates were "surprising" in NYC - I provided some potential explanations.
In rural areas, people tend to do things like grow food, raise livestock, log, mine, pump oil, and other things deemed essential services.
And in cities, people run hospitals, emergency services, government administration, shipping, grocery stores, etc. Nowhere was truly "locked down" in the sense that no one was going out - there are essential workers everywhere. I would agree that a higher proportion of rural inhabitants were considered "essential", and were not subject to stay-at-home orders, but that would still be a smaller number, and because rural communities tend to be more insular (i.e. they don't get a lot of traffic "just passing through," relative to large cities), the number of cases would be smaller than in cities.
So to trim their workload, they add to it by looking for curfew breakers?
No, because most people will follow the curfew. If the purpose of the curfew is just to reduce workload, then it need not be enforced rigorously as long as it reduces the number of people on the streets.
I strongly suspect the planners in that municipality enacted curfews because that's what they do following a disaster, and was more habit than anything else.
Maybe, but as I've pointed out, there are other things that a curfew can help with. And note that those things would also apply during natural disasters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

<Snip>

It is also called a lockdown when military members are required to remain on base for reediness purposes. I did not find the term to be unflattering of citizens or anyone else.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would you call it then?
The traditional term is quarantine.

And in cities, people run hospitals, emergency services, government administration, shipping, grocery stores, etc.

At what percentage of the population? Low enough that there was a moratorium on evictions because people couldn't work and pay rent? Low enough that there was money available for the same reason to help with the rent? Low enough that there was relief monies given because a significant portion of the population was in financial distress because they weren't allowed to work?

Compare that to a rural environment that relies heavily on agriculture, logging (is that considered part of agriculture now?) or mining. It's the nature of industries. Sort of hard to grow acres of wheat in downtown Manhattan; sort of hard to run a publishing company from the middle of the woods.

No, because most people will follow the curfew. If the purpose of the curfew is just to reduce workload, then it need not be enforced rigorously as long as it reduces the number of people on the streets.

Suure.

Maybe, but as I've pointed out, there are other things that a curfew can help with. And note that those things would also apply during natural disasters.

As someone who's had the joy of dodging trees and downed lines and other debris during and in the aftermath of a natural disaster, as well as the "fun" of driving on slick roads and in high winds, I have a pretty good idea why there's curfews during a natural disaster. For decades that was just part of my job.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The traditional term is quarantine.
Incorrect. You quarantine an individual (or group of individuals) based on them being sick or potentially sick. You don't put people in quarantine to prevent them from being sick. People were under quarantine during COVD as well.
At what percentage of the population? Low enough that there was a moratorium on evictions because people couldn't work and pay rent? Low enough that there was money available for the same reason to help with the rent? Low enough that there was relief monies given because a significant portion of the population was in financial distress because they weren't allowed to work?
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Even if just 10% of the population was being forced to stay home and not work, I'd argue that the government has a duty to alleviate that.
Arguments from incredulity aren't exactly convincing.
As someone who's had the joy of dodging trees and downed lines and other debris during and in the aftermath of a natural disaster, as well as the "fun" of driving on slick roads and in high winds, I have a pretty good idea why there's curfews during a natural disaster. For decades that was just part of my job.
There can be multiple purposes to things like a curfew. They can both keep people safe and reduce the load on emergency personnel.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect. You quarantine an individual (or group of individuals) based on them being sick or potentially sick. You don't put people in quarantine to prevent them from being sick. People were under quarantine during COVD as well.
Not quite. The idea seems based more on people being sick without realizing it, either in the first stages or asymptomatic. In essence, everyone was considered a carrier. The situation is the same as in the days ships were quarantined when arriving at port out of fear those aboard were carrying a specific disease. Remember when it was supposed to be just a couple of weeks to slow the spread?

The problem is that people have to eat and buy other necessities. Unless someone had the symptoms, they still went shopping because they had to. I'm convinced that was the point of failure, just by observing people. A show of hands from those who saw people mask their mouth but left their nose uncovered, or continued to fiddle with their masks without first washing their hands or using sanitizer.

Arguments from incredulity aren't exactly convincing.

Neither is absolute faith in officials.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not quite. The idea seems based more on people being sick without realizing it, either in the first stages or asymptomatic. In essence, everyone was considered a carrier. The situation is the same as in the days ships were quarantined when arriving at port out of fear those aboard were carrying a specific disease.
That was done as well - travelers from overseas, people who were sick, and people who had been in contact with someone who was sick were required to quarantine themselves, and it was specifically called that. (e.g. "I was at Debbie's all day yesterday, and she just told me she tested positive this morning. Guess I've got to go into quarantine for a week.")
Remember when it was supposed to be just a couple of weeks to slow the spread?
Yes, and? Situations like pandemics are highly volatile, and predictions of what might happen can change significantly. Ultimately, most stay-at-home orders lasted ~4-8 weeks.
The problem is that people have to eat and buy other necessities. Unless someone had the symptoms, they still went shopping because they had to. I'm convinced that was the point of failure, just by observing people.
Yes, that is probably one of the more common ways that it spread. But the spread would have been much worse without the stay-at-home orders.
Neither is absolute faith in officials.
Show me where I've expressed that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everything was secondary to that. And that's exactly what I want from a guy who is head of the National Institute of Health. I don't expect him to be up to speed on the societal and financial results of any given lock down. Those are matters outside his area of expertise.

Actually, that type of information is exactly what his job requires him to know. National health concerns are different than an individual concern because everything affects the economy etc etc etc

An overriding concern to save lives is wonderful, but you don't kill 1000 people in order to save one life ..

And you don't destroy the legacy of an entire nation for what amounted to a really bad flu that people living with illness or advanced age had a difficult time combating.

Furthermore, I expect the head of public health to know that, because we knew it really early on. Mere observation and some common sense... It's part of the job...

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that type of information is exactly what his job requires him to know.
He'll be aware of them. But again, they won't be areas in which he is expert. He'll have no idea of the financial implications of a one week versus two week lockdown. Except that the latter will have a greater impact. He'll have no idea as to how to lessen that impact. He'll have no idea how many people could work at home, or whether there needs to be temporary financial payments to companies to keep afloat. He'll have no idea how they'll affect transportation or education. Supply chains. Travel between states. There are a boatload of considerations to be worked through.

His job is simply to tell those making those decisions how many lives he thinks will be saved by instigating lockdowns. And those making the decision whether we have them will weigh the positives - the lives saved, versus the negatives.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you don't destroy the legacy of an entire nation for what amounted to a really bad flu that people living with illness or advanced age had a difficult time combating.

The "legacy" of an entire nation was destroyed. What is this?

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "legacy" of an entire nation was destroyed. What is this?

Our legacy is what we give to our children and to our children's children.

Our national legacy is what our children are inheriting, and they are inheriting a banana republic that's completely bankrupt. This is what rode in on the back of our COVID response.

It's also not what we inherited ergo, the legacy of an entire nation destroyed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0