Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates.

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's get specific, and compare our perception in a friendly way.

Here's a useful calibration example.

How neutral is this Pbs report from today in your view?
Scale: Let 0.0 be far Left, 5.0 be perfectly neutral, and 10.0 be far Right.
What number would you give this:

To me I'd give that a 5.0. And I support education vouchers, and parents free to pick religious schools....

How about you? What number would you rate that calibration example?

I saw that report on the air, and I agree. It was about 5.0. They presented the points that made in the oral arguments from both sides. It left me feelings like I'm not sure how I feel about the case myself. It seems it depends on the degree of explicit religious education in that particular school as opposed to general education given from an ethical perspective where those ethics happened to flow from a particular religion. I did not see a clear choice that did not take into account the particulars of the school in question. I don't think PBS took a side on that question, where it looks like NPR did take a side in the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw that report on the air, and I agree. It was about 5.0. They presented the points that made in the oral arguments from both sides. It left me feelings like I'm not sure how I feel about the case myself. It seems it depends on the degree of explicit religious education in that particular school as opposed to general education given from an ethical perspective where those ethics happened to flow from a particular religion. I did not see a clear choice that did not take into account the particulars of the school in question. I don't think NPR took a side on that question, where it looks like NPR did take a side in the OP.
Ah, so we may possibly evaluate often close. I just took a look at the transcription of the OP NPR segment. It begins:

Since May 2021, people living in counties that voted heavily for Donald Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that went for now-President Biden. That's according to a new analysis by NPR that examines how political polarization and misinformation are driving a significant share of the deaths in the pandemic.

NPR looked at deaths per 100,000 people in roughly 3,000 counties across the U.S. from May 2021, the point at which vaccinations widely became available. People living in counties that went 60% or higher for Trump in November 2020 had 2.73 times the death rates of those that went for Biden. Counties with an even higher share of the vote for Trump saw higher COVID-19 mortality rates.

In October, the reddest tenth of the country saw death rates that were six times higher than the bluest tenth, according to Charles Gaba, an independent health care analyst who's been tracking partisanship trends during the pandemic and helped to review NPR's methodology. Those numbers have dropped slightly in recent weeks, Gaba says: "It's back down to around 5.5 times higher."
(...continues)

The first 3 paragraphs look fine to me. Could you point out specifically where you see any bias in the piece? (and I'll be happy to read another post above if you like)

I'd expect NPR segments to themselves show a scattered distribution on the 0 to 10 scale, mostly hear the middle, averaging close to 5, so some below 5 and some sbove.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They never bothered to ask the PHD's for credentials, nor did the study involve medical professionals. They even admitted that many anti-vaxxers pretended to have a PHD when they replied. The whole thing was a survey done on facebook.
source please that seem like a lot to believe

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Would some punctuation kill you? I had to read that three times.
It was just a request for a link to a reliable source. I don't blame him or her, I am always demanding reliable sources from science deniers (I almost never get any) they have the right to demand the same from us. And that actually makes our side stronger because we can usually support claims with reliable sources.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,076.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When you say "almost any other news outlet you can find anywhere other than..." you are framing the issue in a way that seeks to preclude all criticism.

The fact is, MOST American (and British) news outlets are far to the left in their reporting and editorializing, so it wouldn't hard at all to characterize NPR as not being as biased as they are.

Nevertheless, that doesn't make NPR neutral, as you claimed.

It does have a liberal bias and that's been recognized by others in the industry.

Reality has a well known liberal bias.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,320.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
i'm going to let you ponder about it. as I am done with this conversation.

ill leave you to it im done as well so catch you later in the conspiracy forum if im ever in there some time look forward to it

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you are clearly cherry picking the data, Florida has the lowest cases of covid in the US and they don't force a Jab.
Florida is the state that fires people, that won't hide the truth. OfCourse we can't trust states like Florida. Nothing more . So, your point is mute.

so what do you make of that? Michagin in is a Northern State, Florida a southern state. Michagin is a Biden state, Florida is a Trump state. so Biden State have a higher rate of infections then Trump states. may be the democrats should follow the Trump state plan. It seems to be working.
Trump had no plan, and swiped everything away. And try to pretend COVID-19 was no big deal. As far as I see, Trump supporters in Republican and Democrats states are suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
They never bothered to ask the PHD's for credentials, nor did the study involve medical professionals. They even admitted that many anti-vaxxers pretended to have a PHD when they replied. The whole thing was a survey done on facebook.
I don't think that's right.

The study they keep quoting was done by a university (though I don't konw HOW they did it).
or....wait.....Time trends and factors related to COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy from January-May 2021 among US adults: Findings from a large-scale national survey
This material is based upon work supported by Facebook (unrestricted gift) and a cooperative agreement from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U01IP001121). Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of Facebook or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Facebook was involved in the design and conduct of the study. The CDC provided funding only. Neither Facebook nor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had a role in the collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; or decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
So there's that....but there's also:
Methods January 6 through May 31, 2021, 5,121,436 US adults completed an online COVID-19 survey. Weighted data was used to evaluate change in vaccine intent and correlates of May vaccine hesitancy.
"Online survey".

Well. I used to be interested about this data and PhD hesitancy. Now? I can't really care too much about this study anymore. "Online Surveys" should NOT be used for scientific research.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also they are liberal in their choice of what stories to run and what stories to ignore.
That would not be neutrality, if it were the case.

Can you show me examples from the last week? 7 days.

That's a good time frame, because like you I also listen some to NPR, and will be able just like you to find reports/segments, and we can consider them together.

We can see whether or not it's out of balance like you think. After all, you might be mistaken, right?

I count the segments about inflation as a classic conservative concern, and the main current objection to the increased federal spending the Democratic Congress has aimed to do, has in fact done, and is also currently aiming to increase.

As you probably know, there have been a repeated segments about inflation, more than just a couple, in recent months. So, that's an example of a classic conservative concern and reporting on it is meaningful, not at all trivial. It is changing minds.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That would not be neutrality, if it were the case.
I didn't say they were neutral. I just said that I do trust their factual reporting. But my personal impression is that their editorial decisions in who to interview seem to a bit slanted to the left. (Which is fine for me, since my opinions also slant a bit to the left.)

We can see whether or not it's out of balance like you think.
It is just a personal impression, not a strongly held view that I care to argue. NPR is a lot more balanced that certain other sources I could name. But out of respect for my conservative friends, I am just acknowledging that NPR may not be a perfectly unbiased source in all respects.

When I consume news and information, I try to clearly distinguish in my mind what is factual reporting and what is commentary, and I pretty much discount all commentary, regardless of what side it is coming from. Most reputable sources, including NPR, are pretty good at keeping a line between these two things.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0