Fauci's Former NIH Boss Finally Admits COVID Lockdown Was 'Another Mistake We Made'

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Former National Institutes of Health Director Francis Collins has admitted that tunnel vision handicapped the development of public policy to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Collins, who stepped down at the end of 2021, was the superior of former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Anthony Fauci, who along with Collins proposed and supported lockdowns as the major policy element to deal with the pandemic.

During the recently unearthed interview, interviewer Wilk Wilkinson bemoaned the fact that too few open discussions took place about the pandemic and the lockdown policy.

Collins said putting public health bureaucrats in charge meant that a one-dimensional policy would ensue.

“As a guy living inside the Beltway, feeling a sense of crisis, trying to decide what to do in some situation room in the White House with people who had data that was incomplete,” Collins said.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“As a guy living inside the Beltway, feeling a sense of crisis, trying to decide what to do in some situation room in the White House with people who had data that was incomplete,” Collins said.
He went on to say (54:00 in the video) that his prime, overriding concern was saving lives. Everything was secondary to that. And that's exactly what I want from a guy who is head of the National Institute of Health. I don't expect him to be up to speed on the societal and financial results of any given lock down. Those are matters outside his area of expertise. Decisions on them would have been left to others. Who knew very well what the effects were likely to be.

So there is then a choice. Accept those results. Or risk an even worse national disaster than actually occurred. Collins made his recommendations based on his medical expertise. And in the middle of a global pandemic that killed millions he's the guy you really want to listen to.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He didn’t say the lockdown was a mistake. He said the tunnel vision and the singular focus on saving lives was a mistake.

Maybe he’s right, but it’s an interesting point for a bunch of alleged pro-lifers to criticize him over given how strident they’ve been in their positions regarding abortion and end of life care for the terminally ill.

The truth is that the complaints laid out by the WJ regarding the lockdowns weren’t made by a right-wing acting in good faith, trying to balance the various competing interests. No, the right was trying to pooh-pooh the pandemic all along and contrived any reason they could to not take it seriously. It’s no wonder their complaints weren’t taken seriously.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He didn’t say the lockdown was a mistake. He said the tunnel vision and the singular focus on saving lives was a mistake.

Maybe he’s right, but it’s an interesting point for a bunch of alleged pro-lifers to criticize him over given how strident they’ve been in their positions regarding abortion and end of life care for the terminally ill.

The truth is that the complaints laid out by the WJ regarding the lockdowns weren’t made by a right-wing acting in good faith, trying to balance the various competing interests. No, the right was trying to pooh-pooh the pandemic all along and contrived any reason they could to not take it seriously. It’s no wonder their complaints weren’t taken seriously.
I am a conservative. During the pandemic, I served several months in the Missouri Army National Guard as us Guardsmen responded to the pandemic and the orders from Governor Parsons. Although at the time I knew that severe lockdowns for everyone was not a good idea, nevertheless, my fellow soldiers and I still took this pandemic seriously and did not "pooh-pooh the pandemic all along."

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a conservative. During the pandemic, I served several months in the Missouri Army National Guard as us Guardsmen responded to the pandemic and the orders from Governor Parsons. Although at the time I knew that severe lockdowns for everyone was not a good idea, nevertheless, my fellow soldiers and I still took this pandemic seriously and did not "pooh-pooh the pandemic all along."
Then you are an exception among conservatives, because most of the conservative movement, including the president, were trying to make light of it.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then you are an exception among conservatives, because most of the conservative movement, including the president, were trying to make light of it.
Whereas, most of the liberal movement attempted to make everyone believe that this pandemic was the worst pandemic the world has ever seen since the Black Plague hit Europe.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whereas, most of the liberal movement attempted to make everyone believe that this pandemic was the worst pandemic the world has ever seen since the Black Plague hit Europe.
You know that, as far as pandemics go, covid is probably in the Top 5 in terms of total death toll, right?

3,000 people died on 9/11 and that was enough for the US to justify launching two multi-decade wars. Covid has killed 1.2 million people in the US, which is the equivalent of one 9/11 every day for 13 months.

Are you sure you’re not pooh-poohing it?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You don't have to look far too find anti-abortion threads here promoting imprisonment, the death penalty, bans on out-of-state travel, and no limit to the lengths to which the government should go to ban abortion.

But a pandemic that kills 1 in 50, and hospitalizes many more? Dismissed as a common cold and a hoax.

I actually know one person who caught the plague a few years ago and lived. I know 5 or 6 who died from Covid.
No, the right was trying to pooh-pooh the pandemic all along and contrived any reason they could to not take it seriously.
They flat-out told us the economy was more important than saving lives.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't have to look far too find anti-abortion threads here promoting imprisonment, the death penalty, bans on out-of-state travel, and no limit to the lengths to which the government should go to ban abortion.
Oh sure. And I'm old enough to remember the Terry Schiavo case wherein a governor and a president intervened to extend the "life" of a woman who'd been in a vegetative state for 8 years and whose brain had, essentially, melted.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know that, as far as pandemics go, covid is probably in the Top 5 in terms of total death toll, right?

3,000 people died on 9/11 and that was enough for the US to justify launching two multi-decade wars. Covid has killed 1.2 million people in the US, which is the equivalent of one 9/11 every day for 13 months.

Are you sure you’re not pooh-poohing it?
What was the mortally RATE of co-vid maybe 2% locking down for months over something that kills MAYBE 2 in 100 people that get it? Most people that died had other issues anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

But a pandemic that kills 1 in 50, and hospitalizes many more? Dismissed as a common cold and a hoax.

I actually know one person who caught the plague a few years ago and lived. I know 5 or 6 who died from Covid.

They flat-out told us the economy was more important than saving lives.
wow a mortality rate of maybe 2% most of whom had other issues not an awful mortality rate.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What was the mortally RATE of co-vid maybe 2% locking down for months over something that kills MAYBE 2 in 100 people that get it? Most people that died had other issues anyway.

wow a mortality rate of maybe 2% most of whom had other issues not an awful mortality rate.
2% may not be a big deal for a disease that's fairly rare, but it's a very high mortality rate for a disease that virtually everybody will contract. That mortality rate would put it just behind cholera and on par with smallpox. (ETA: smallpox in the vaccinated population)

The mortality rate is down below 1% now, but it still killed a million people in the span of 2 years and another ~200k in the 1.75 years since. It's wild to me how folks are talking about 1.2 million death as if it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
2% is a wildly high mortality rate. That puts it just behind cholera and on par with smallpox.
2 out of every 100 people is not a high mortality rate. That means that if 100 people get it just TWO will die of it. Yet, heart attacks about 30-40% Cancer I do not know the adult rate but the child's rate is 20% . two people out of 100 notably most of those 2 out of 100 had other issues going on anyway VERY few people died of solely co-vid.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2 out of every 100 people is not a high mortality rate. That means that if 100 people get it just TWO will die of it.
I understand the math. But you're just wrong - for an infectious disease, that's fairly high.

And again, covid infected a lot of people. Even with a low mortality rate (which 2% is not), a high infection rate still means a lot of people dead.

Yet, heart attacks about 30-40% Cancer I do not know the adult rate but the child's rate is 20% . two people out of 100 notably most of those 2 out of 100 had other issues going on anyway VERY few people died of solely co-vid.
Yes, cancer and heart attacks are more deadly than covid. :rolleyes: But covid was the #3 cause of death in the US in 2020-2021:

db456-fig4.png

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand the math. But you're just wrong - for an infectious disease, that's fairly high.

And again, covid infected a lot of people. Even with a low mortality rate (which 2% is not), a high infection rate still means a lot of people dead.

Yes, cancer and heart attacks are more deadly than covid. :rolleyes: But covid was the #3 cause of death in the US in 2020-2021:

db456-fig4.png
I cannot understand how 2 out of 100 is a lot.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I cannot understand how 2 out of 100 is a lot.
I suspect you don't have a good handle on the rates at which other calamities occur.

Let's try comparing it to something else - without looking at the stats, what is something bad that you think happens pretty often - often enough to worry about / think it's a big enough deal that it ought to be taken seriously?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suspect you don't have a good handle on the rates at which other calamities occur.

Let's try comparing it to something else - without looking at the stats, what is something bad that you think happens pretty often - often enough to worry about / think it's a big enough deal that it ought to be taken seriously?
drug overdoses cancer (generally not taking good care of yourself ( which happened a lot with co-vid by the way because people put preventive stuff off trying to avoid the spread of something that for MOST people ( not saying people did not die, but if you took everyone who got co-vid most were A fine and most who were not B had other issues that may or may not have been partly their own fault. People wee working so hard to provide something that for most was little more than a bad cold while things that were minor BECAME major because people were either scared of it or doctors were not seeing people. There was always the economy as well places that opened up sooner had less other problems (think economy and educational problems than places who stayed shut down longer. This was the case even within larger areas state/counties that opened back up sooner had not just less economic issues, but also less learning loss.

Going back to the mortality rate of co-vid even if you say the number was high who died most commonly ( the same types of people who are most likely to die of conditions like pneumonia and the flu. The types of people who are in general at higher risks, and yet the only time people panic about those conditions is if there is a REASON to such as the person is very old or very young such as the person is in the hospital and not doing well .

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My friend died from Covid. Perhaps you think "Others should be sacrificed for my ideology" is a good argument but from where I am sitting it is a bad argument and a horrific example of humanities worst impulses.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't fault the governments for the lockdowns or mask requirements because it freaked a lot of people out. This was an unknown but what I didn't like was the censorship on social media to different medical alternatives. At the time I didn't want the vaccine and looked get healthy by strengthening my immune system and videos I tried to share with my family members on Facebook were censored. Even videos that had the title COVID on YouTube were censored.
Then you had the public's reaction the masked vs unmasked, and vaccinated vs unvaccinated it may have not been that bad, but the media amplified it I don't know.

• Agree
Upvote 0