Louis Gohmert (R-TX) tests positive for COVID-19

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Are you being deliberately obtuse? It's like you've taken the analogy, digested it, and produced a totally contrariwise interpretation.

You really missed the point, so here it is again:

Even if other people aren't acting to improve their own safety, that should not prevent you from taking actions to improve your own.

When that comes to COVID-19, that includes (but is not limited to):

Limiting your physical interactions with other people;
Limiting the amount of time you need to spent in public places, particularly in enclosed spaces;
Wearing a mask while in public spaces;
Maintaining appropriate distancing (~6 feet) when possible.

The key is limiting the risk. SOME risk will always be there (that's life). However, you can take drastic actions to reduce the risk of transmission to yourself, and the wider public, by following simple, easy precautions.
Did you limit the risk in any of the past flus and viruses that killed thousands of people or is it just this one that suddenly is important enough to care?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
At that point, probably not.

Now, wanna debate reality?
Now that I established a number that you wouldn't bother wearing a mask...... at what number is it suddenly wrong to not wear one? if there was a chance of 1 person on the planet dying...... 2? 10? what is the magic number that makes it suddenly wrong to abstain from masking yourself?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Now that I established a number that you wouldn't bother wearing a mask...... at what number is it suddenly wrong to not wear one? if there was a chance of 1 person on the planet dying...... 2? 10? what is the magic number that makes it suddenly wrong to abstain from masking yourself?

This is just a silly debate tactic, and you know it.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Louis Gohmert (R-TX) tests positive for COVID-19

True to form, now Gohmert is questioning as to whether it was the wearing of a mask that got him infected - in this world you can't protect people from themselves - especially when they deliberately choose to be misinformed!

....sigh. I have a new appreciation for stubborn stupidity.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some House members sleep in their offices?

It was not immediately clear in what location Gohmert was planning to self-isolate. His office did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Gohmert is among the dozens of House members who sleep in their offices, according to the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call, and some of his colleagues voiced concern Wednesday that the lawmaker may continue to do so even after contracting the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0974f2-d1a6-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

It was not immediately clear in what location Gohmert was planning to self-isolate. His office did not respond to repeated requests for comment. Gohmert is among the dozens of House members who sleep in their offices, according to the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call, and some of his colleagues voiced concern Wednesday that the lawmaker may continue to do so even after contracting the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0974f2-d1a6-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html
Pandemic Revives Calls To Ban Lawmakers From Bunking In Their Offices

• Informative
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

ugh..

"You know, they sleep on their couches, they then get up in the morning, sneak downstairs [to] the members' gym, shower, change their clothes, and come back up for work," she describes.

"Imagine if you said to a constituent coming into your office, 'Welcome, come into my bedroom.' Because for all intents and purposes, that's what, I mean, I don't know if I'd want to sit on anyone's couch,"

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
ugh..

"You know, they sleep on their couches, they then get up in the morning, sneak downstairs [to] the members' gym, shower, change their clothes, and come back up for work," she describes.

"Imagine if you said to a constituent coming into your office, 'Welcome, come into my bedroom.' Because for all intents and purposes, that's what, I mean, I don't know if I'd want to sit on anyone's couch,"
You'd think the USA could afford to properly house its politicians.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would you not advise your daughter to go on the pill knowing its effectiveness vs telling her to get her bf to use a condom which is riskier? We are asked to use masks that are not regulated in construction perhaps worse than a condom made out of who knows what and expect to "be safe".

You didn't answer my question and the pill doesn't prevent disease, only pregnancy.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,823.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you limit the risk in any of the past flus and viruses that killed thousands of people or is it just this one that suddenly is important enough to care?

Yes.

I get the flu vaccine annually.

When I have a cold or viral infection, and have to be in public (for instance, taking public transport, or dropping my children off at daycare or with grandparents), I wear a mask (surgical N95 mask). When ill, I'll also actively use hand sanitizer in my home (and at the office, if I need to be there for something).

I've lived and worked in Japan and South Korea for a number of years, and that sort of behaviour is just what you do. It's not controversial, or political, or even worthy of mention. It's polite - like sneezing into your elbow in Western countries. I lived in Japan during the SARS epidemic and South Korea during the swine flu epidemic, and their responses (at least, on a personal responsibility level) to that are a pretty good representative model for how the rest of the world could/should behave.

I'm also married to a healthcare worker and I have two children under 4. My relationship with my wife, and the presence of small children in the house, has only reinforced this behaviour.

COVID-19 is significantly more dangerous than previous epidemics/pandemics, and notably more draining on healthcare resources that anything in the last 60 to 70 years. The current best case estimates are that there will be another ~600,000 deaths from COVID-19 by the end of the year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

Colleagues feared U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert would catch COVID-19. Sure enough, he did.
JULY 29, 2020

“I can’t help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, if I might have put some … of the virus on the mask and breathed it in. … But the reports of my demise are very premature,” he (Gohmert) said. “If somebody feels strongly about everybody should wear a mask, then they shouldn’t be around people that don’t wear masks.”

Throughout the day, current and former delegation insiders widely circulated via text a screenshot of a Politico story quoting a Gohmert staffer.

“When you write your story, can you include the fact that Louie requires full staff to be in the office, including three interns, so that ‘we could be an example to America on how to open up safely,’” wrote the Gohmert staffer. “When probing the office, you might want to ask how often were people berated for wearing masks.”

Politico also reported that Gohmert tested positive while at the White House, then chose to return to the Capitol complex to personally inform his staff.

“I don’t think that’s helpful for all the reasons,” said Texas GOP consultant Brendan Steinhauser, echoing a number of Republican staffers concerned about mask avoidance but not authorized to speak on the record. “It’s not good for their health. It’s not good for their staff. It’s not setting a good example, and it is irresponsible.”

Colleagues feared U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert would catch COVID-19. Sure enough, he did.
**************************************************************************************************************
Apparently Rep. Gohmert's staff were initially informed through the media and then, in his infinite wisdom, he proceeded to place them at further risk by assembling them all in his office to tell them personally!

There are also comments from staffers that Gohmert had berated them when they wore masks - this has now led to Speaker Pelosi requiring that all members of the House and their staffs wear masks in that wing of the Capitol Building!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You almost never hear how many people get the virus that were wearing a mask.

I was extra careful because of leukemia but somehow ended up getting it four times. I've only been in public in two places, grocery store and doctors office. Somehow my wife tested negative twice. The health department still has her on lockdown until Sunday. They said even though she's been negative the fact that I've had it means she has it and they included her in the new cases. She's never even shown any symptoms.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, implied. Like it was implied that COVID-19 was a hoax. Like it was implied that COVID-19 is under control. Like it was implied that COVID-19 was going away in April when it warmed up. like it was implied that Mexico was paying for something. Like it was implied the 2nd Amendment people could take care of Hillary. Like it was implied that Obamacare would be replaced soon after the election. Like it was implied…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Our only "safety" is our immune system

Given the immune system isn't 100% effective, no it isn't.

Look, it is obvious you're trying to find an excuse not to wear a mask. But arguments like this against wearing masks are so bad that it actually makes mask wearing look more reasonable. Maybe take a break and reconsider what you hope to accomplish and why.

Masks don't keep you safe they keep you safer than NOTHING but not safe.

Neither does anything else. That's not an excuse for giving up.

• Winner
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, many people got flu vaccines.

And yes, this is way worse than the seasonal flu.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rep. Louie Gohmert — a Texas Republican who has been walking around the Capitol without a mask — has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Gohmert was scheduled to fly to Texas on Wednesday morning with President Donald Trump and tested positive in a pre-screen at the White House. The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"f I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Reps. Mario Diaz Balart (R-Fla.), Neal Dunn (R-Fla.), Morgan Griffith (R-Va.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Ben McAdams (D-Utah) and Tom Rice (R-S.C.) have tested positive for the virus, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.).
Republicans winning again (7-1 so far).

Upvote 0