Louis Gohmert (R-TX) tests positive for COVID-19

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The argument you're making is that that if something does not make one 100% safe then there's no sense in using it, at least "until we have a better idea". That's a terrible and incorrect argument. I'm sure you don't even truly believe it, you're just using that argument for this issue because you have no other argument.

The fact is that all (or almost all) our safety precautions for anything in life do not guarantee our safety 100% but mostly they greatly reduce our exposure to harm and therefore make us relatively safe.

For example, seat belts are no guarantee that you'll survive a car crash, but they're proven to greatly increase your chance of survival. So should we just not bother with seat belts until they can come up with something else that makes us 100% safe? No, that would be ridiculous, because there probably is nothing that can make us 100% safe. The safest way to go is to use what has proven to make us much safer even if it's not 100%.

I see people use this terrible argument (that if something does not make one 100% safe then there's no sense in using it) all the time but it's wrong and even the people saying it don't actually believe it because they themselves observe all sorts of safety measures that don't make them 100% safe.

Do you do anything for your own safety? I'll bet none of what you do makes you 100% safe yet you do it anyway.
Seat belts are tons better than masks are for safety. Seat belts are made to strict standards and tested to make sure they work the best they can and of materials of the highest quality to insure they don't fail.
Masks?...... DIY anything goes as long as it covers your face it is SAFE..... I bet you wouldn't trust your life to have most of these masks manufacturers make your cars seat belts for you.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Anyway you folks can buy into the "mask herd immunity" narrative being pushed now. Believe that you won't become infected because everyone has masks on. Believe nobody will die because everyone has masks on.
Believe what those in charge say about masks until you find out someone you love who wore a mask was infected by someone wearing a mask and died anyway and wonder what good was masks to that person to being with.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Believe that you won't become infected because everyone has masks on. Believe nobody will die because everyone has masks on.....
Public health pros are not saying these things. Youre spouting complete nonsense. IF someone you know is saying that, please correct them right away.

Its just we're safer going out and doing shopping etc when people wear masks.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I gave a counter argument which is an answer in these type of threads given constantly instead of answering questions endlessly.

So let me rephrase the question. You have a young person, daughter, niece, etc who is on the pill and she has someone suggesting she has unprotected sex because condoms do not protect 100% against disease. She is going to engage in sex regardless of what you think. Do you tell her you agree with the young man there is no reason to wear a condom since they don't stop HIV, herpes etc 100% of the time, or do you suggest she use a condom to protect her health?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seat belts are tons better than masks are for safety. Seat belts are made to strict standards and tested to make sure they work the best they can and of materials of the highest quality to insure they don't fail.
Masks?...... DIY anything goes as long as it covers your face it is SAFE..... I bet you wouldn't trust your life to have most of these masks manufacturers make your cars seat belts for you.
So you're against hand washing too then? Not 100% safe or effective. Anything goes - anyone can just use whatever soap and as much or little as they want and as fast as they want, any materials including cheap soap...

Please, nobody is buying this. You make one argument one way and go directly against it another way.

Anyway you can buy into the "seat belt safety" narrative being pushed now. Believe that you won't die because you wear a seat belt. Believe nobody will die because they wear seat belts.
Believe what those in charge say about seat belts until you find out someone you love who wore a seat belt was killed in a car crash despite wearing a seat belt and died anyway and wonder what good was seat belts to that person to being with.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see you sidestepped my direct question, which to me means you probably agree a hand is MORE effective stopping a cough or sneeze than a mask is. I've coughed hard and sneeze on my hand and had to wipe it off it was so wet, Imagine a mask with that type of moisture build up. Sooner or later it will become soaked and will no longer be able to hold the moisture embedded in it and a cough or sneeze will push an even larger amount of moisture out than a normal cough or sneeze would.
Are you going to keep your hand over your mouth all the time to protect yourself? No, you are not and cannot.

Get a grip. Wear a mask.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Early seat belts we crude and cumbersome. It took decades to bring them up to the standards of today. And there were many recalls along the way. AND we now have airbags.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyway you folks can buy into the "mask herd immunity" narrative being pushed now. Believe that you won't become infected because everyone has masks on. Believe nobody will die because everyone has masks on.
Believe what those in charge say about masks until you find out someone you love who wore a mask was infected by someone wearing a mask and died anyway and wonder what good was masks to that person to being with.
Nobody in the short history of COVID has said that masks are 100% effective. Why do you continue to push this silly argument.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The results in other countries speak for themselves. But hey, I get it, you're smarter than the CDC and rest of the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, you didn't read the prior post to mine the number 1000 was given to me in a reply that was applied a 50% I gave as a possible effectiveness of a mask to get 500 supposed deaths. I reapplied .05% to that number. I was not given the total deaths in the reply to me.
It seems to me that knowing a rough estimate of deaths from the disease in the US would be the bare minimum for credibly discussing what's actually going on here.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Before COVID-19, did you cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing?
What really gets me is after some who wash their hands get sick that people irresponsibly and shamefully suggest that it is a good idea restaurant workers wash their hands after going to the bathroom. This is a LIE. Don't people know that doesn't make us SAFE?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The argument you're making is that that if something does not make one 100% safe then there's no sense in using it, at least "until we have a better idea".
If people were consistent with this idea, instead of using the stairs they'd just jump out windows instead. After all, people occasionally get hurt on stairs, therefore they're not 100% safe and there is no sense in using them.

Of course no one follows this thinking. It is just a transparent rationalization because they don't want to be bothered to wear a mask.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So have you always worn a mask all your life or just more recently since you have gotten older and married and have children?

I don't see the relevance... but:

I picked up several of these hygiene habits while living in Japan in the early to mid 2000s - when I was in my early 20s. These were reinforced by a couple of stays in South Korea at the tail end of the 2000s and early in 2010.

They were further added to in the past seven or eight years thanks to marrying a health care worker and now having two small kids.

I was probably primed for all this by my experience with an exceptionally aggressive bout of glandular fever in my late teens. This saw me hospitalised for several weeks and put into social isolation for around 12 months, because the virus heavily compromised my immune system. Plus I was barred from endurance and contact sports. (Not what you want in your final years of high school.)

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Freedom...

freedom.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert Suggests Mask Wearing Gave Him Coronavirus

“I can’t help but think that if I hadn’t been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it,” the Texas lawmaker said.

In a later statement on Twitter, he explained that he often touches his face while wearing his mask to make it comfortable. “I can’t help but wonder if that put some germs in the mask,” he said.

The Texas lawmaker, who tested positive on Wednesday morning, had previously made a point of refusing to wear a mask while in the Capitol.

Please, I beg you, listen to your local public health authorities.
On video ,I seen how sloppy he was wearing that mask. He could have got it. When he ripped it of. And put his mouth up to the microphone. Or anything. Imaging how he acted ,when no cameras were around. He didn't get it. Because he wore the mask. I been wearing a mask since February or before. It's really not a big deal. Kids are doing a better job , when it come to wearing mask, then some grown ups.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert Suggests Mask Wearing Gave Him Coronavirus

“I can’t help but think that if I hadn’t been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it,” the Texas lawmaker said.

In a later statement on Twitter, he explained that he often touches his face while wearing his mask to make it comfortable. “I can’t help but wonder if that put some germs in the mask,” he said.

The Texas lawmaker, who tested positive on Wednesday morning, had previously made a point of refusing to wear a mask while in the Capitol.

Please, I beg you, listen to your local public health authorities.
Perhaps breathing his own hot air was the problem....

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you have me blocked, but I hope others reading this can see my response to describing just how abysmally wrong you are.

Contrary to what you claim, the mortality rate isn't 0.3%; it's 3.3%. You're off by a factor of 11. Just living in NY or NJ has about a 99.85% survival rate.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 17,074,098 Cases and 666,821 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer
How could any poster want to block such a wonderful person as you? But your stats are very helpful. The trouble is that a mortality rate of 3.3% in the US amounts to a total approaching 1 million people.

See, I took Statistics in college and made a really great grade.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On video ,I seen how sloppy he was wearing that mask. He could have got it. When he ripped it of. And put his mouth up to the microphone. Or anything. Imaging how he acted ,when no cameras were around. He didn't get it. Because he wore the mask. I been wearing a mask since February or before. It's really not a big deal. Kids are doing a better job , when it come to wearing mask, then some grown ups.

He was wiping his nose and touching everything and I'm pretty sure they didn't sanitize the desk before he swapped with Gaetz.

Upvote 0