Los Angeles Area
✟829,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Florida situation is a certified mess.

Sure is. The state set a new record for COVID-19 deaths today. 200+ people dead. But I'm not seeing how any of what you had to say is relevant to Rep. Gohmert's news.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So... in other words masks don't make you safe unless you distance yourself.. and the claims of "safeness" are bogus after all.
Other people’s masks protect you. Your own mask protects others. We are continuing to see evidence that masks are effective in reducing infection rates and severity of infection.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! The MSM always points out when someone gets the virus that they didn't wear a mask, even though we're told that a mask doesn't protect the wearer.
It’s relevant because it means that person was likely exposing others to the virus before they were tested.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert Suggests Mask Wearing Gave Him Coronavirus

“I can’t help but think that if I hadn’t been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it,” the Texas lawmaker said.

In a later statement on Twitter, he explained that he often touches his face while wearing his mask to make it comfortable. “I can’t help but wonder if that put some germs in the mask,” he said.

The Texas lawmaker, who tested positive on Wednesday morning, had previously made a point of refusing to wear a mask while in the Capitol.

Please, I beg you, listen to your local public health authorities.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are just agreeing that masks alone do not keep anyone safe from the virus.

Masks keep one SAFER than going without one. Just like wiping down frequently touched areas, using sanitizer etc. If you can save yourself or someone else the pain, medical expense, loss of pay, recovery time etc, and possibly death, why wouldn't you? Every place that has in a mask requirement has seen their cases decrease.

This is like a doctor saying stop smoking, lower your salt intake, drink more water, eat better, exercise more, get more restful sleep, do something daily that makes you happy and the patient refusing to do any of it because there isn't a single fix for the issues they have. Until we have a vaccine, masks, sanitation, physical distancing, etc is all we have to work with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How much does it reduce the chance though? If the chance is 8% of being infected and it reduces it by 50% is it worth wearing a mask for a 4% improvement?
BTW I have to be infected by the virus AND be infectious before I can infect someone else.

Hopefully you are taking precautions and just being contrary here and will never have to wonder if you had gotten that 4% protection if you or a loved one would have been spared. People are surviving, but many have side effects, time off work, possibly loss of their jobs and bills from a 1-4 week hospital stay and ongoing medical issues.

Three-Quarters of Recovered Coronavirus Patients Have Heart Damage Months Later, Study Finds

More than half of Spanish coronavirus patients suffering from neurological problems: research

covid long haulers - Google Search

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I disagree. I constantly here all over the media, on commercials about how a mask keep you SAFE. SAFE means 100% effective. If they were to say a mask HELPS keep you safe I would agree with you but they deceive people by equating 100% SAFE by omitting the word HELP They could even equate a mask keeps you SAFER instead of SAFE.

Absolutely. Just like they lie to us about seat belts. They say that seat belts keep us safe, yet people still die in car crashes. Safe means 100% SAFE! The liberal media is out to get us!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Currently there are about a thousand people dying in the USA every day.

You are arguing that it's better for 500 people to die than for the rest to be inconvenienced a bit.
So if a mask were only 0.05% effective you would wear one... to give one person a 50% better chance at living?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
First off, a lot of people don't know they have the virus while they have it.

Second, you can either take pretty much all our public health professionals at their word about masks, or you can dig into the research they rely on for yourself. I am doing the first. No one is stopping you from doing the second. But while you're doing your deep dive research, just do what they recommend, as they're in a better position to know about these things than you.
The same public health professionals that said we don't need masks and the all we need to do is flatten the curve and so on? I trust these bozos and much as I do a politician because they are clueless and desperate to find anything that helps any to look good. I see NONE of these experts telling us not to buy cheap crappy masks that could be twice as effective that better ones or try and get everyone an N95 mask.... they aren't caring that a mask that is half as effective could mean twice as many people are infected and die at all so I have to trust them?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly! The MSM always points out when someone gets the virus that they didn't wear a mask, even though we're told that a mask doesn't protect the wearer.
Basically unless you are infected a mask is probably worthless.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Nobody ever claimed masks made someone 100% safe from a virus.
Anyone who uses that as an excuse to not wear a mask is being childish.
Actually that is true but the implications are abundantly out there as when someone says a mask keeps you safe they don't mean that is reduces the chance of you dying they mean you won't DIE if you wear one.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Other people’s masks protect you. Your own mask protects others. We are continuing to see evidence that masks are effective in reducing infection rates and severity of infection.
Actually... we aren't necessarily seeing that as we are seeing the group of people who are getting infected are younger and at a loss less risk from the virus to begin with which could be totally the reason for reduction in the rates and severity. I contend a LOT of the issues of infection are less about the mask and more about distancing. And people who were not wearing masks I found didn't think of distancing EITHER.... but I have been doing that and not masking till recently when I was FORCED to mask. There is a lot of people I know all over the place never wore a mask..... and still are not sick and they work at places people come in 100s of times a day so is the reason they aren't sick the mask... or distancing or what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,663.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Basically unless you are infected a mask is probably worthless.

No.

No. No. No. No. No.

Wearing a mask significantly reduces the risk of transmission if you don't have the virus. It also reduces the risk of you spreading the virus to others if you do have it.

Attachments

• wearamask_infographic.jpg
    wearamask_infographic.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Agree
Reactions: Theridiidae
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I've seen dozens of people wearing the crappiest masks today out and about you could see through some of them others were a very thin single layer of cloth stretched tightly over their face. I bet their masks don't hardly protect anyone out there if they got infected and if someone sneezed on their mask it would most likely soak right through onto their face and mouth. There is way way too many masks that I believe are doing very little to protect anyone out there. But hey..... the experts say.... mask they don't say a good mask just mask, face covering whatever.
I take my temperature daily...... I wonder how many arguing here took their temp and how often to make sure they were not infected.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
No.

No. No. No. No. No.

Wearing a mask significantly reduces the risk of transmission if you don't have the virus. It also reduces the risk of you spreading the virus to others if you do have it.
Not the crappy masks I'm seeing.... you could easily sneeze through them like a tissue paper but hey, you can trust others out there to have good masks to "save you".

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not the crappy masks I'm seeing.... you could easily sneeze through them like a tissue paper but hey, you can trust others out there to have good masks to "save you".

Where do you find these people? I've never seen anybody with something like that.

Upvote 0