Louis Gohmert (R-TX) tests positive for COVID-19

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Done that, the sad truth is way too many buy into the 100% safe mask thing and when they get sick with the virus while wearing a mask they infect others because they believe that they are SAFE from getting it in the first place and don't get tested.
What do you feel would be an acceptable chance of protection to warrant wearing a mask?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Oh, implied. Like it was implied that COVID-19 was a hoax. Like it was implied that COVID-19 is under control. Like it was implied that COVID-19 was going away in April when it warmed up. like it was implied that Mexico was paying for something. Like it was implied the 2nd Amendment people could take care of Hillary. Like it was implied that Obamacare would be replaced soon after the election. Like it was implied…
We have herbal remedies advertised on TV purposely stating that they don't "cure" anything and they word things in a way to NOT imply that they are "cures" purposely saying the help promote, or help your body or whatever because people DO buy into wording that are implications of things and without the FDA requiring such information there would be lawsuits. If someone told me I would be safe if I did this and that and I wasn't safe I could sue them if I had proof that they said it to me and they were consulting experts and it was known as such.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Even the masks themselves don’t mention 100%. N95 means 95% of airborne particles.
Exactly.... but they do not say that they only stop particles down to 3 microns while the virus is between 0.6 microns to 1.4 microns so are they really 95% when the particle could be smaller? The answer is we don't know for sure how effective any mask is and that is why we get the implication that they keep you safe more instead of what percentage chance reduction of getting the virus will be masked vs unmasked.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Done that, the sad truth is way too many buy into the 100% safe mask thing and when they get sick with the virus while wearing a mask they infect others because they believe that they are SAFE from getting it in the first place and don't get tested.

It sounds like you've been watching "media" -- whatever that may be -- and not actually learning what a mask is for. The mask is not to prevent you from getting the virus, it is to keep everyone else safe from you (though there is some amount of protection for you). That is the reason that everyone is supposed to wear a mask, particularly because of the asymptomatic cases where you might have the disease and don't know it.

Exactly.... but they do not say that they only stop particles down to 3 microns while the virus is between 0.6 microns to 1.4 microns so are they really 95% when the particle could be smaller? The answer is we don't know for sure how effective any mask is and that is why we get the implication that they keep you safe more instead of what percentage chance reduction of getting the virus will be masked vs unmasked.

Except the mask doesn't need to stop particles between .6 and 1.4 microns -- because the virus isn't airborne. Instead, it uses water droplets to spread, and the water droplets are larger (typically larger than 5 microns), which makes masks effective against COVID-19. Even with cloth and paper masks, that don't stop particles as small as 3 microns, they still catch most water droplets, and the ones they don't they "slow" so they don't spread beyond 2 yards (which is why social distancing is still promoted while wearing a mask).

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Theridiidae

Feb 16, 2015
✟37,209.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Sophrosyne, I find your thought process fascinating enough to ask if you believe that:

-Safe sex is 100% safe against pregnancy and/or STI's
-Safe driving/roads means you will 100% never get into an accident
-Seat belts will keep you safe 100% of the time

I am genuinely curious of your mindset.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Masks have never been touted as 100%, even when both people wear them. They reduce the chance of getting infected, and if you are infected, it can decrease the viral load you are exposed to, which can make your case milder.

In addition to wearing a mask, you have to handle it properly, not taking it off and on, touching the outside, setting it down, and pulling out and putting it in your pocket.

I watched a hearing from Ohio where one of the staff held her mask up to her face whenever someone came up to talk to her, then put it down when they walked away. So her hands touched the outside, possibly the inside, then she went on to touch papers the desk, pens and her face.

Yesterday I watched Nadler and the other Congress critters take their masks off and on. That's not proper handling and could spread contamination.

There have been experiments shown with people coughing and sneezing over Petri dishes to show how particles spread and infect. As well as how far sneezes carry with and without masks.

As far as herbs you mention in the other post, while some or more potent than others, they are not instant cures. They help strengthen the body to fight off infections and you normally have to take them over a period of days to weeks. I have herbal formulas I've purchased for years at the first sign of a cold that have worked well for me.

Unmasked! The effect of face masks on the spread of COVID-19 | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal

Masks May Reduce Viral Dose, Some Experts Say

Social distancing alters the clinical course of COVID-19 in young adults: A comparative cohort study

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
It sounds like you've been watching "media" -- whatever that may be -- and not actually learning what a mask is for. The mask is not to prevent you from getting the virus, it is to keep everyone else safe from you (though there is some amount of protection for you). That is the reason that everyone is supposed to wear a mask, particularly because of the asymptomatic cases where you might have the disease and don't know it.

Except the mask doesn't need to stop particles between .6 and 1.4 microns -- because the virus isn't airborne. Instead, it uses water droplets to spread, and the water droplets are larger (typically larger than 5 microns), which makes masks effective against COVID-19. Even with cloth and paper masks, that don't stop particles as small as 3 microns, they still catch most water droplets, and the ones they don't they "slow" so they don't spread beyond 2 yards (which is why social distancing is still promoted while wearing a mask).
So... in other words masks don't make you safe unless you distance yourself.. and the claims of "safeness" are bogus after all.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So... in other words masks don't make you safe unless you distance yourself.. and the claims of "safeness" are bogus after all.
If "safe" is a problematic word for you, just think of it as your mask will reduce the probability that you will transmit the disease to somebody else.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Masks have never been touted as 100%, even when both people wear them. They reduce the chance of getting infected, and if you are infected, it can decrease the viral load you are exposed to, which can make your case milder.

In addition to wearing a mask, you have to handle it properly, not taking it off and on, touching the outside, setting it down, and pulling out and putting it in your pocket.

I watched a hearing from Ohio where one of the staff held her mask up to her face whenever someone came up to talk to her, then put it down when they walked away. So her hands touched the outside, possibly the inside, then she went on to touch papers the desk, pens and her face.

Yesterday I watched Nadler and the other Congress critters take their masks off and on. That's not proper handling and could spread contamination.

There have been experiments shown with people coughing and sneezing over Petri dishes to show how particles spread and infect. As well as how far sneezes carry with and without masks.

As far as herbs you mention in the other post, while some or more potent than others, they are not instant cures. They help strengthen the body to fight off infections and you normally have to take them over a period of days to weeks. I have herbal formulas I've purchased for years at the first sign of a cold that have worked well for me.

Unmasked! The effect of face masks on the spread of COVID-19 | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal

Masks May Reduce Viral Dose, Some Experts Say

Social distancing alters the clinical course of COVID-19 in young adults: A comparative cohort study

You are just agreeing that masks alone do not keep anyone safe from the virus.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
If "safe" is a problematic word for you, just think of it as your mask will reduce the probability that you will transmit the disease to somebody else.
How much does it reduce the chance though? If the chance is 8% of being infected and it reduces it by 50% is it worth wearing a mask for a 4% improvement?
BTW I have to be infected by the virus AND be infectious before I can infect someone else.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I constantly here all over the media, on commercials about how a mask keep you SAFE. SAFE means 100% effective. If they were to say a mask HELPS keep you safe I would agree with you but they deceive people by equating 100% SAFE by omitting the word HELP They could even equate a mask keeps you SAFER instead of SAFE.
That’s not true. Anyone reading the news or taking in a minimal amount of media knows masks aren’t 100% effective. No one I know thinks that, do you know anyone who thinks that?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How much does it reduce the chance though? If the chance is 8% of being infected and it reduces it by 50% is it worth wearing a mask for a 4% improvement?
BTW I have to be infected by the virus AND be infectious before I can infect someone else.
Currently there are about a thousand people dying in the USA every day.

You are arguing that it's better for 500 people to die than for the rest to be inconvenienced a bit.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
BTW I have to get the virus before I can infect someone else.
First off, a lot of people don't know they have the virus while they have it.

Second, you can either take pretty much all our public health professionals at their word about masks, or you can dig into the research they rely on for yourself. I am doing the first. No one is stopping you from doing the second. But while you're doing your deep dive research, just do what they recommend, as they're in a better position to know about these things than you.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I disagree. I constantly here all over the media, on commercials about how a mask keep you SAFE. SAFE means 100% effective. If they were to say a mask HELPS keep you safe I would agree with you but they deceive people by equating 100% SAFE by omitting the word HELP They could even equate a mask keeps you SAFER instead of SAFE.
No, that is 100% not true. It has never been argued that masks are 100% safe especially since mask usage also requires others around you to be more effective. Nonetheless, drinking distilled water is considered safe. But drinking gallons of distilled water rapidly could kill you (hyponatremia). Does that mean that drinking water is not safe? No, drinking water is safe, just as wearing a mask or wearing a seatbelt. Are there circumstances where it does not protect you? Yes, for instance, when wearing a mask, you need everyone wearing a mask to be an effective deterrent. Nothing is 100%, if you believe that is the case, that is the fault of your own understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You almost never hear how many people get the virus that were wearing a mask.

Exactly! The MSM always points out when someone gets the virus that they didn't wear a mask, even though we're told that a mask doesn't protect the wearer.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rep. Louie Gohmert — a Texas Republican who has been walking around the Capitol without a mask — has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Gohmert was scheduled to fly to Texas on Wednesday morning with President Donald Trump and tested positive in a pre-screen at the White House. The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"f I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Reps. Mario Diaz Balart (R-Fla.), Neal Dunn (R-Fla.), Morgan Griffith (R-Va.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Ben McAdams (D-Utah) and Tom Rice (R-S.C.) have tested positive for the virus, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.).

The infection has a 99.7% survival rate. We also know that these tests are not accurate. The Florida situation is a certified mess.

Upvote 0