Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of actual Catholics on this forum you can learn the real facts about Catholicism from, not the distorted caricature you present.
There are two types of Catholics...
1) Those who try to follow what they are taught in their catechism
2) Those who try to hide the truth

I guess, you would rather listen to the group belonging to #2. They are the ones involved in tampering and rewriting historical books about the Catholic Church and its corrupt practices. I personally discovered one from my favorite book in high school.

This group also lie about the sexual immoralities that's been going on and being committed by their priests.

They also conditioned their members to hate the Jews thru books distorted to make it look like all the Jews were in agreement to murder Jesus Christ. I still remember when my mom used "Jew" as a curse word on me when I was a kid.

I'm not surprised if you would rather believe lies than facts.

I was raised in the Anglican Church, but my mindset is so different now as an Eastern Orthodox that I have long recognised I can no longer be a reliable witness for Anglican teaching and praxis. You are no different.
That is a fallacy in itself. Just because you have difficulty remembering your past does not mean other people must be like yourself.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are two types of Catholics...
1) Those who try to follow what they are taught in their catechism
2) Those who try to hide the truth

I guess, you would rather listen to the group belonging to #2. They are the ones involved in tampering and rewriting historical books about the Catholic Church and its corrupt practices. I personally discovered one from my favorite book in high school.

This group also lie about the sexual immoralities that's been going on and being committed by their priests.

They also conditioned their members to hate the Jews thru books distorted to make it look like all the Jews were in agreement to murder Jesus Christ. I still remember when my mom used "Jew" as a curse word on me when I was a kid.

I'm not surprised if you would rather believe lies than facts.

That is a fallacy in itself. Just because you have difficulty remembering your past does not mean other people must be like yourself.
No where in the Catholic Catechism does it say that one is to worship idols so I don't know why you quote that.

And I will be careful about saying Catholics books present it as "hating Jews" since people have called the New Testament "antisemitic"

Upvote 0

covid-19v1

Dec 18, 2020
Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No where in the Catholic Catechism does it say that one is to worship idols so I don't know why you quote that.

And I will be careful about saying Catholics books present it as "hating Jews" since people have called the New Testament "antisemitic"
Of course Catholics won't refer to them as idols. None of my Catholic relatives ever referred to them as idols....not even my Catholic parents.

There is no way the NT can be considered antisemitic. Try reading "The Passion" book written by the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you seriously asking that question?
That's like asking why would cheaters lie to their spouses...or why would Satan create false Christianity.
I kiss icons, that does not mean I venerate other "gods"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Simply because Catholics do not claim to worship idols does not mean that in practice idol worship does not happen. While veneration of saints skirts the issue and the official position may not be worship but respectful recognition, the practice often crosses over to worship with shrines being set up for individual saints and them being prayed to for intervention as well as "queen of heaven" pagan idols being papered over with images of Mary. It's not as simple as what they claim, nor what their detractors put forward.

As for meat sacrificed to idols, there are still Hindu temples, ancestor temples, etc...even if such things are outside the common western experience.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Simply because Catholics do not claim to worship idols does not mean that in practice idol worship does not happen. While veneration of saints skirts the issue and the official position may not be worship but respectful recognition, the practice often crosses over to worship with shrines being set up for individual saints and them being prayed to for intervention as well as "queen of heaven" pagan idols being papered over with images of Mary. It's not as simple as what they claim, nor what their detractors put forward.

As for meat sacrificed to idols, there are still Hindu temples, ancestor temples, etc...even if such things are outside the common western experience.
Then it is more a problem of malpractice than teaching. The Virgin is Queen of Heaven, though.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then it is more a problem of malpractice than teaching. The Virgin is Queen of Heaven, though.
It's soft syncretism of Catholicism trying to make itself palatable to pagan cultures that while not in the strictest sense idolatry provides the grounds for idolatry to flourish. There is no "queen of heaven," in fact the idea is pagan and contrary to Biblical principles which is precisely why Ashterah poles and high places are so highly condemned in the OT. Catholic teaching borders on deification of Mary between teaching "immaculate concetion", assumption, and holding her as the "queen of heaven", and often crosses the threshold which is precisely why such "veneration" is decried as idolatry. Catholics do not, in practice, worship God alone but instead worship a pantheon of saints with Mary as their chief.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mary is the mother of the King. That makes her queen in the Davidic kingdom.
The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the Lord: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?

20 Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, mine anger and my fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the ground; and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched.

21 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh.

22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That was in response to your claim that there are "real" Catholics here you would rather get your "facts" from.
The Catholic Catechism is freely accessible online, as are the statements regarding the Catholic faith from the various councils the Catholics consider binding. You would rather get your facts from the poorly catechised or the ones who pick and choose what parts of the faith they want to accept?
Don't get me wrong, I consider that Rome has fallen into many errors since they broke off from the Church around the 11th century. I'm not here to defend Catholicism, but I won't simply stand by when people spew falsehoods about them. What you claim the Catholic Church teaches is not what the Catholic Church teaches.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods
The passage you quoted refers to false gods. Do we thus reject the true God because there are false gods? Do we reject the true queen because there is a false queen?
Mary is not queen in and of herself, but only in regards to the kingship of her Son.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The passage you quoted refers to false gods. Do we thus reject the true God because there are false gods? Do we reject the true queen because there is a false queen?
Can you cite a Biblical passage that refers to a queen of heaven other than calling out false gods?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer my question.
I did, unless there is a Biblical reason to accept the notion of a "queen of heaven" there remains only negative implications about the term. Mary worship is idolatry, simply because it is dressed in theological clothing doesn't elevate it and the only witness the Bible has towards the notion of a queen of heaven is to associate the idea with false worship.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0