Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
When supporters of the alt-right and associated movements plead for civility, one gets the impression that it is either in bad faith or in total ignorance of how they themselves have transgressed. It was the same with the call for unity made in late 2016. After conducting a viciously divisive and inflammatory campaign they then demanded unity and loyalty, accusing anyone who objected of "dividing us."

Bad faith seems like the sickness of our age.

• Agree
Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, I'd go further than that and say the alt-right is firmly committed to abusively gaslighting its victims to promote its own warped narrative.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What's sad and pathetic is people drawing an equivalence between cracking an egg on someone and physically assaulting them ...
There is no "between". Smashing an egg on someone's head is physical assault, regardless of intent or the resulting extent of physical harm. It is a punishable crime.

That's what this is about.... A way out. A defensive measure to avoid the ugly truth that this recent shooting is the deadly result of right-wing extremism.
There's no justification for that behavior. None.

I mean... have we all lost our minds?
I think many people have, getting whipped up into a frenzy by the media, developing faux outrage over things following a certain narrative while ignoring a multitude of more egregious and horrendous events occurring in other parts of the world on almost a daily basis. Any social media outrage over the Suzano school massacre in Brazil just a few days ago, where students as young as 15 were killed? No. Why not? Because it doesn't fit the islamophobia/white man bad narrative.

This is literally coming off the back of a story about people who were actually assaulted... With weapons... You know... an actual assault. They are dead now.
Again, physical assault can can be anything from groping, to a slap in the face, all the way to murder, with or without a weapon.

This guy got an egg cracked on his head for basically suggesting they deserved it.
Or, he basically said that the immigration situation is what triggered the individual who thought they deserved it.

I used to have water balloon fights with my friends when we were kids. I never realized we were committing felonious acts of violence against each other. Lord help us all if a kid ever decides to throw a snowball at somebody.
Try this experiment and see what happens - Walk up on a cop and smash a water balloon, (or an egg, your choice), on his head. Let us know how things work out.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Muslim immigration?

Wasn't the shooter an Australian immigrant themselves?
and what are all European Christians to the Maori and Polynesians of the whole entire region?

everybody else is surely thinking he is very hypocritical

Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There is no "between". Smashing an egg on someone's head is physical assault, regardless of intent or the resulting extent of physical harm. It is a punishable crime.
This is more hysterics. Even if we go with the, "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], this is physical assault," let's stop pretending as if it matters that something is a punishable crime. You make it seem as if this is somehow synonymous with whether something is ethical, acceptable, moral, or in this case, funny. The hyperbolic reaction to this egg is nothing more than an attempt to ignore the bigot spewing hate. For some reason whenever karma reaches white supremacists, people come out of the woodwork to defend them and it makes no sense.

His behavior is funny.

I think many people have, getting whipped up into a frenzy by the media, developing faux outrage over things following a certain narrative while ignoring a multitude of more egregious and horrendous events occurring in other parts of the world on almost a daily basis. Any social media outrage over the Suzano school massacre in Brazil just a few days ago, where students as young as 15 were killed? No. Why not? Because it doesn't fit the islamophobia/white man bad narrative.
This is more whataboutism. Perhaps the reason this story receives increasing coverage is due to the rise of white nationalism and the resulting terrorism that has followed? If you are concerned about school shootings, then perhaps you should start a topic on that and look toward solutions to addressing such violence.

It's always interesting when you see such complaints about coverage of a topic. Did you bother to create a thread about the school shooting in Brazil? A rhetorical question because we know you didn't, nor do you care about that story because either you have a problem with Muslims being portrayed as victims, or you dislike the increased scrutiny directed toward white nationalism and its growing power in right-wing politics. Regardless, your concern has little to do with a school shooting that resulted in 8 deaths and is an attempt to minimize the deaths of 50 people. Spare us the faux outrage.

Again, physical assault can can be anything from groping, to a slap in the face, all the way to murder, with or without a weapon.
And that's why the law defines things in terms of degree as we know it's ridiculous to compare hitting someone with an egg to attempted murder.

Or, he basically said that the immigration situation is what triggered the individual who thought they deserved it.
White supremacists spend a great deal of their time trying to take their views to the mainstream. People like this senator revel in that and the universal condemnation of his words speaks to his bigoted and racist ways. There was no intelligence in his statements, so stop spinning his lack of humanity into something else. It was nothing more than racism dressed in a shirt with a collar.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Yeah, promoting genocide supporting murders... vs, throwing an egg.

I can see why people can't see the difference, it's totally the same thing.

Some of the men who choked that 17 year old boy were convicted white supremacist criminals, one of the guys there was convicted of destroying a memorial to a woman who was raped and murdered.

I say buy more eggs, I'm sick of Nazis running roughshod over my country. It's sickening.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, promoting genocide supporting murders... vs, throwing an egg.

I can see why people can't see the difference, it's totally the same thing.

Some of the men who choked that 17 year old boy were convicted white supremacist criminals, one of the guys there was convicted of destroying a memorial to a woman who was raped and murdered.

I say buy more eggs, I'm sick of Nazis running roughshod over my country. It's sickening.
Which guy was that, out of curiosity?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Which guy was that, out of curiosity?
I was referring to Andy Nolch, but I may have confused multiple far right gatherings that have happened over the last couple of days.

I'll look for the details, but the guys backing him up have convictions for actions against Jewish and Islamic Australians.

(Not to mention the recent anti-Sudanese stuff these guys have been having rallies about).

• Informative
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was referring to Andy Nolch, but I may have confused multiple far right gatherings that have happened over the last couple of days.

I'll look for the details, but the guys backing him up have convictions for actions against Jewish and Islamic Australians.

(Not to mention the recent anti-Sudanese stuff these guys have been having rallies about).
The guy who vandalised the memorial in Parkville dedicated to Eurydice Dixon? That story makes the blood boil. I was walking in the area a few days after this vandalism and noticed that a patch of grass had been covered up, presumably because that's where he wrote his screed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps the Right in Australia is getting more dangerous as Australian society changes.

I don't think its coincidental that both Anders Brevik and the Australian attackers were acting on behalf of a nebulous "Christendom", but could not bring themselves to actually espouse Christian beliefs or be a Christian in any meaningful way. Or that some of Trump's biggest supporters in the US are those who identify as Christians primarily for cultural reasons. What we have are people who pine away nostalgically for a past that they themselves are unwilling to personally invest in, and that sort of hypocrisy is bound to produce inner conflict that is externalized in some way.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They just "happened" to have an egg on them?? Not like it was planned, right?

That's right. This was a premeditated egging, carefully planned and eggsecuted...

Our thoughts and prayers to the victim.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
All I have to say about this is President Bush 43, aka the Ninja, wouldn't have been hit by that egg.

Indeed, the man expertly dodged that thrown shoe, Matrix-style...

My understanding of the situation is that this Australian senator isn't all that popular to begin with, which might explain how an armed and egged attacker got so close in the first place.

• Useful
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
The guy who vandalised the memorial in Parkville dedicated to Eurydice Dixon? That story makes the blood boil. I was walking in the area a few days after this vandalism and noticed that a patch of grass had been covered up, presumably because that's where he wrote his screed.
Revolting isn't he?

I found the guy I was looking for Neil Erikson. Currently wanted by police in NSW, terrorised left wing Christians at their church for not being anti immigrant, and part of various Pro violence far right groups like Patriots Front.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Try this experiment and see what happens - Walk up on a cop and smash a water balloon, (or an egg, your choice), on his head. Let us know how things work out.
This is all so silly.

It was just a freaking egg. Get over yourselves.

Upvote 0