Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Funny that MMA allows hits to the face, for instance, but outlaws hits to the back and top of the head.
An egg is not a fist. I am sure egging someone is within the definition of assault but like spitting it’s not an assault that has a realistic chance of causing injury. There is no need to keep doubling down on a thrown egg being a physic threat.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The senator was attacked from behind. He was justified in defending himself.
He may have been justified in the first smack to the kid but not in going after him the second time.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's a pretty weak argument. He said something contraversial that you didn't like, so it's okay to physically attack him? No. That's not okay.

If he's wrong, then point out the holes in his arguments and present a more compelling case. That is civil discourse.

You are espousing the opposite. You are espousing meeting words with force. Even if you think his words are made in bad faith, you are advocating escalating to physical actions. Your views exemplify what's dysfunctional with democratic processes today.
So it's not that senator's troglodytic views unsupported by reality that are a problem eh? There's no problem with that?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't realize that there is a dichotomy between insults and violence and that an action can only be one or the other.

The force required to crack an egg on the back of someones head is never going to injure them.

Return to your hysterics about violence as you please though.

When someone hits a bigoted white supremacist with an egg, outrage over the egg and not the bigoted white supremacist seems par for the course with my fellow Americans.

The senator was attacked from behind. He was justified in defending himself. Lucky the kid attacked an Australian senator with cameras and security everywhere. Such actions elsewhere to another person would have turned out much worse for that kid. Like this kid in Utah for instance. Or this teen in New York.

Maybe to an extent. However, punching someone several times when they are a head smaller than you seems excessive though.

Someone embarrassed the bully so he took a few swings at them.

Luckily he doesn't seem to know how to throw a punch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't matter whether one throws an egg, a bean bag, a water balloon, or anything else at another person. It's called battery, and is against the law. I am no longer surprised that some here, in this very community, seem perfectly fine with this approach to countering views they don't agree with. It has become the norm. In their minds, people of 'wrong-think' are not just people with different views. No. They are deemed as less than human, and therefore deserve whatever they get coming to them, up to and including assault and battery.

Sad and pathetic......

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't matter whether one throws an egg, a bean bag, a water balloon, or anything else at another person. It's called battery, and is against the law. I am no longer surprised that some here, in this very community, seem perfectly fine with this approach to countering views they don't agree with. It has become the norm. In their minds, people of 'wrong-think' are not just people with different views. No. They are deemed as less than human, and therefore deserve whatever they get coming to them, up to and including assault and battery.

Sad and pathetic......
What's sad and pathetic is people drawing an equivalence between cracking an egg on someone and physically assaulting them with the intent to cause harm just to avoid addressing the point of why this senator even had this happen to him. That's what this is about.... A way out. A defensive measure to avoid the ugly truth that this recent shooting is the deadly result of right-wing extremism.

I mean... have we all lost our minds? This is literally coming off the back of a story about people who were actually assaulted... With weapons... You know... an actual assault. They are dead now. This guy got an egg cracked on his head for basically suggesting they deserved it.

I used to have water balloon fights with my friends when we were kids. I never realized we were committing felonious acts of violence against each other. Lord help us all if a kid ever decides to throw a snowball at somebody.

• Agree
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Sad and pathetic......

Right! We should only engage in spirited debate followed by a spot of tea with bigoted white supremacists who blame the murder of innocent worshipers on themselves.

Of course being rude with such people, or acting out against them is the worst thing that could happen. That is totally what we should focus on.

You don't actually have to dehumanize someone to say they deserved a good egging, you do have to do so to suggest that they deserve to be murdered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Senator turned and smacked the kid who did nothing to defend himself. Then the Senator tried to smack him a second time and the kid put up his arms in front of his face.
I would have thought one smack was enough but the Senator decided he liked smacking this kid and he'd just do it again, showing adult behavior and self-control. :sigh:
If anything this incident tells us how easily Anning and his acolytes can be provoked to physical aggression, even given ample time to assess the actual danger that a 17-year-old with an egg poses to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Right! We should only engage in spirited debate followed by a spot of tea with bigoted white supremacists who blame the murder of innocent worshipers on themselves.

Of course being rude with such people, or acting out against them is the worst thing that could happen. That is totally what we should focus on.
When supporters of the alt-right and associated movements plead for civility, one gets the impression that it is either in bad faith or in total ignorance of how they themselves have transgressed. It was the same with the call for unity made in late 2016. After conducting a viciously divisive and inflammatory campaign they then demanded unity and loyalty, accusing anyone who objected of "dividing us."

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The force required to crack an egg on the back of someones head is never going to injure them.

Return to your hysterics about violence as you please though.
Well apparently you have a hard time understanding that when people smash eggs into each other's heads, they generally don't do it at the precise amount of force necessary to crack that egg. People can and do get hurt from actions like this.

But return to your shameful excusals of violence as you wish though.

When someone hits a bigoted white supremacist with an egg, outrage over the egg and not the bigoted white supremacist seems par for the course with my fellow Americans.
Yawn. Stop with the straw men and false dichotomies already. A person can rightly be upset about both bigotry and acts of physical assault. One does not excuse the other. The fact that you believe it does speaks volumes.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it's not that senator's troglodytic views unsupported by reality that are a problem eh? There's no problem with that?
So there can only be one problem? There can't be two? A person can't detest both bigoted speech and unjustified acts of violence?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The senator was attacked from behind. He was justified in defending himself. Lucky the kid attacked an Australian senator with cameras and security everywhere. Such actions elsewhere to another person would have turned out much worse for that kid. Like this kid in Utah for instance. Or this teen in New York.
Defending himself? Between the egg hitting his head and him turning around to see who was responsible, he had plenty of time to assess the risk and determine that the child before him posed no immediate danger to either himself or his supporters. Yet he was so slighted that he immediately went for blows and his supporters quickly followed suit and pinned the child to the ground, holding him in a choke hold. It was the act of being slighted, not physically threatened, that seemed to provoke this reaction.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well apparently you have a hard time understanding that when people smash eggs into each other's heads, they generally don't do it at the precise amount of force necessary to crack that egg. People can and do get hurt from actions like this.

You would literally have to punch the egg into someones head to hurt them. Your shameful hysteria over a the force needed to crack an egg (a little more than a light tap) is noted.

You can literally see the amount of force it took in the video, or you could have, say, cooked once in your life.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yawn. Stop with the straw men and false dichotomies already. A person can rightly be upset about both bigotry and acts of physical assault. One does not excuse the other. The fact that you believe it does speaks volumes.

I've been rightfully criticizing your focus on something little more than an embarrassing tap on the head, and getting into hysterics by referring to it as a physical assault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An egg is not a fist. I am sure egging someone is within the definition of assault but like spitting it’s not an assault that has a realistic chance of causing injury. There is no need to keep doubling down on a thrown egg being a physic threat.
Are you sure you want to adopt the position that hitting a person with an egg is not really an assault and can't hurt someone?

Egging Prank Leaves 45-Year-Old Mom Dead, 14-Year-Old Charged With Murder: Cops

Young egging victim had shell fragments lodged in eye, father says

Researchers examined records at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital emergency eye unit – focusing on the patients - mostly men – who were victims of an “egging” near Halloween. 62 percent of the injuries were serious, and included detached retinas, macular damage, and elevated internal pressure, which can lead to blindness

That's not to mention the numerous people who were murdered by the people upset about getting hit with eggs.

By the way, I am an athletic person. I guarantee you I can give you a concussion slapping an egg into the back of your head.

STOP trying to excuse the boy's actions already. There is NO excuse. Unjustified physical assault is unjustified physical assault. I'm done arguing this point.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
STOP trying to excuse the boy's actions already. There is NO excuse. Unjustified physical assault is unjustified physical assault. I'm done arguing this point.

It sounds like he did an excellent job at not hurting the guy by slapping him hard enough on the back of the head with an egg to crack the egg but not do any other harm at all.

You apparently feel that that is hard to do, and yet we have a video of him giving the guy a small smack.

By the way, I am an athletic person. I guarantee you I can give you a concussion slapping an egg into the back of your head.

I'm sure you could egg someone just hard enough to break the egg too tough guy.

Upvote 0