Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's violent now to have an egg cracked on you?

My we've gone soft as a species.
Really? You are really arguing that it is not a violent act to smash an egg into someone's head?

You're just trolling me, right?

I'm pretty sure that if I was smashing an egg into your head, I could convince you otherwise.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? You are really arguing that it is not a violent act to smash an egg into someone's head?

You're just trolling me, right?

I'm pretty sure that if I was smashing an egg into your head, I could convince you otherwise.
Incredibly rude? Yes. Totally uncalled for? Absolutely.

But Violent? As in, causing immediate physical harm? No. That's not even close to being violent.

Sorry. I guess I have a higher threshold for violence than you do.

I've gotten egg on me before. It's never made me want to deck someone in the face.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think that having to wash your hair and a bit of embarassment is a fitting reaction to slandering an entire subgroup of people for something they are innocent of.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Incredibly rude? Yes. Totally uncalled for? Absolutely.

But Violent? As in, causing immediate physical harm? No. That's not even close to being violent.

Sorry. I guess I have a higher threshold for violence than you do.

I've gotten egg on me before. It's never made me want to deck someone in the face.
You clearly aren't thinking the situation through. Even if you cause no lasting physical injury, hitting an unwilling person in the head in order to harm them is assault.

Any time you strike someone in the head (in this case, while holding an egg), you can potentially concuss them, break their nose, cause lacerations or infection to the face or eyes, cause them to lose their balance and harm themselves while falling, etc. People have been blinded and killed due to eggings.

I'm glad you didn't get mad when you "got some egg on you." But I guarantee you go up to a stranger and smash an egg into their head in some places I've lived, and you will wind up dead. People kill each other for less every day.

• Winner
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that having to wash your hair and a bit of embarassment is a fitting reaction to slandering an entire subgroup of people for something they are innocent of.
I think there's no such thing as civil discourse when you can put your hands on someone because you didn't like what they said. Excusing such behavior is shameful.

• Agree
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You clearly aren't thinking the situation through. Even if you cause no lasting physical injury, hitting an unwilling person in the head in order to harm them is assault.

Any time you strike someone in the head (in this case, while holding an egg), you can potentially concuss them, break their nose, cause lacerations or infection to the face or eyes, cause them to lose their balance and harm themselves while falling, etc. People have been blinded and killed due to eggings.

I'm glad you didn't get mad when you "got some egg on you." But I guarantee you go up to a stranger and smash an egg into their head in some places I've lived, and you will wind up dead. People kill each other for less every day.
Egg-related killings are actually quite uncommon outside of africa.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think there's no such thing as civil discourse when you can put your hands on someone because you didn't like what they said. Excusing such behavior is shameful.
I don't think that the goal of this was civil discourse. That senator abandoned the realm of civil discourse first.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's violent now to have an egg cracked on you?

My we've gone soft as a species.
Those are some brittle spirits. Cracking an egg on someone's head isn't violence.

Juvenile? Yes. Inappropriate? Yes. Funny? Sure. But it's not violent. It also goes to shows how quickly people want to make this senator a victim in the face of a massacre for which they are silent (or they find a way to attack Muslims as we saw with this senator).

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I guess the question I have is when did targeting a group of people based on their ethnicity or religion become civil discourse, especially after that group was massacred the previous day? When your discourse precludes the humanity of others, it is anything but civil.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that the goal of this was civil discourse. That senator abandoned the realm of civil discourse first.
That's a pretty weak argument. He said something contraversial that you didn't like, so it's okay to physically attack him? No. That's not okay.

If he's wrong, then point out the holes in his arguments and present a more compelling case. That is civil discourse.

You are espousing the opposite. You are espousing meeting words with force. Even if you think his words are made in bad faith, you are advocating escalating to physical actions. Your views exemplify what's dysfunctional with democratic processes today.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's a pretty weak argument. He said something contraversial that you didn't like, so it's okay to physically attack him? No. That's not okay.

If he's wrong, then point out the holes in his arguments and present a more compelling case. That is civil discourse.

You are espousing the opposite. You are espousing meeting words with force. Even if you think his words are made in bad faith, you are advocating escalating to physical actions. Your views exemplify what's dysfunctional with democratic processes today.
No. What's disfunctional about democratic processes is that one side is allowed to toss verbal bombs around and the other side is expected to carefully defuse every single bomb while the first side gets no repercussions and propablly tossed 5 new bombs in the time it took to defuse the first one.

Words need to have consequences. Sometimes that consequence is a public shaming, and lets not pretend that an egg to the head or a pie to the face is anything but that.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess the question I have is when did targeting a group of people based on their ethnicity or religion become civil discourse, especially after that group was massacred the previous day? When your discourse precludes the humanity of others, it is anything but civil.
Look up reciprocal radicalization. It's a thing.

I will submit to you that going full Antifa is not the solution. Doing so will only do more harm than good.

And it is a TERRIBLE precedent. Don't complain when people do the same to you.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. What's disfunctional about democratic processes is that one side is allowed to toss verbal bombs around and the other side is expected to carefully defuse every single bomb while the first side gets no repercussions and propablly tossed 5 new bombs in the time it took to defuse the first one.

Words need to have consequences. Sometimes that consequence is a public shaming, and lets not pretend that an egg to the head or a pie to the face is anything but that.
Let's not pretend that if someone did the same to you or someone you support, you would not be the first to cry foul.

If someone is tossing verbal "bombs," render those bombs ineffective by demonstrating why they are wrong. Resorting to physical acts just proves that your words cannot stand up to theirs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let's not pretend that if someone did the same to you or someone you support, you would not be the first to cry foul.

If someone is tossing verbal "bombs," render those bombs ineffective by demonstrating why they are wrong. Resorting to physical acts just proves that your words cannot stand up to theirs.
The words of that senator have been rebuked and debunked many times across the whole australian political spectrum. You can look it up.

If I ever start blaming a community of people for being responsible for being massacred, you can toss eggs at me all day long and I'd deserve every single yolk.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The words of that senator have been rebuked and debunked many times across the whole australian political spectrum. You can look it up.

If I ever start blaming a community of people for being responsible for being massacred, you can toss eggs at me all day long and I'd deserve every single yolk.
If his words have been so thoroughly debunked, why does he merit so much attention and outrage? Do you not realize that all this is doing is giving him a bigger platform? It's also making a "martyr" of him. Before this happened, hardly anyone outside of Australia knew who he was. Now many people around the world know his name. And many people, right or wrong, agree with at least some of what he is saying. Reciprocal radicalization is a thing.

But hey, if your goal is to increase his platform, then keep on doing what you're doing.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If his words have been so thoroughly debunked, why does he merit so much attention and outrage?
Do you really think that when a statement is met with outrage, it is an indicator that this statement is correct? What kind of backwards logic is that?

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
his entire position is based off of appeasement thinking that the bad men will go away. that's worked so well in the past. /sarcasm.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
his entire position is based off of appeasement thinking that the bad men will go away. that's worked so well in the past. /sarcasm.
If only that teen would have written an essay about this senators statements and why they were wrong. I'm sure the senator would have repented and recanted and his followers would have seen the light.

But no, he threw an egg, and as we all know, each egg creates ten new bigots.

Upvote 0