What does Paul mean by "fallen from Grace"?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Pick A Verse! This passage from Galatians 5 used for the OP opens several topics for discussion,
including:
A. Liberty vs. Yoke of bondage.
B. If you become circumcised [see Acts 15:5], Christ will profit you nothing.
C. Debtor to keep the whole Law, as opposed to what? Keeping the commandments given
at Sinai? The four statutes given in Acts 15? Or something else.
D. Justified by the Law is a falling from Grace.
E. What does waiting for the hope of righteousness by faith suggest?
F. Faith working through Love.

Galatians 5:
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law;
you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Last edited:

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think FALLEN FROM GRACE in that passage is Paul saying those Galatians were going backwards - from the gospel of grace back to the law.
I do not feel Paul is commenting on individual Galatians losing their salvation, but rather a certain judaizing group of Galatians going back to weak and beggarly elements, making grace of God of no effect.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The verses quoted above do indeed seem to run counter to the belief that one cannot lose his/her salvation. After all, if you start out in a state of grace and then lose your state of grace, then it would appear that a sudden death would result in a loss of salvation.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can fall into the same trap that some of the Galatian Christians were doing, in going to something like the Mosaic law religious observances for self justification, indicating their faith in Jesus as The Christ was not enough.

Many churches have developed their own requirements/religious observances that their members must adhere to in order for them prove their faith and be justified to God. They have clouded the issue about what it is to be a Christian, which is of course is a simple faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, in Who He is and what He has done, and obeying His commands. That faith in Him is our justification, and that faith was graciously given to us from God, none of us has deserved that gift.

If we then add some kind of religious observance we must also follow for our justification, we are basically telling God that His grace and gift of faith is not enough....not that we mean to do this, but that’s the outcome, and it’s pretty insulting of God’s love and grace towards us wouldn’t you say!

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hebrews 12:14, 15. Pursue peace with all, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the meaning is that person tries to earn salvation by his own works, which is futile, when people are saved (=sins are forgiven) without works, because God is merciful.

True. However, “faith without works (of righteousness) is dead (futile)”.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True. However, “faith without works (of righteousness) is dead (futile)”.

I agree. Faithfulness means loyalty. If you claim that you are loyal to God, but don’t act loyally, the claim is empty.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree. Faithfulness means loyalty. If you claim that you are loyal to God, but don’t act loyally, the claim is empty.
Romans 11:22. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity;
but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Titus 2:
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,
13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God
and Savior Jesus Christ,
14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless
deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The present tense of the word "justified" implies that these Galatians were contemplating justification by the law. They were getting side tracked by legalistic teachers. "You who are trying to be justified by the law have fallen away from grace," but had they fully come to that place yet? Galatians 3:3 reads: Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? The middle voice implies "making yourselves perfect" by means of self effort. The present tense indicates that the action is in progress and that there is still time to correct the error.

If these Galatians lost their salvation and it was a done deal, then why didn't Paul simply say you "lost your salvation" and I'm done with you? Instead, in verse 10, he said - I have confidence in you, in the Lord, that you will have no other mind; but he who troubles you shall bear his judgment, whoever he is. Why would Paul have confidence in these Galatians if they lost their salvation and it's all over for them? In verse 12, Paul uses hyperbole, As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember this "If you were on trial for being a Christian is there enough evidence to convict you?"
Works, however noble, cannot save us but after salvation our actions reveal whether we are Christians or not.
Something like this. A person says "I am a carpenter." Someone asks him "Where are your tools hammer, saw, plane, level etc?" He replies "I don't have any but I am a carpenter." Then he is asked "Have you ever built anything?" He replies "No, but I am a carpenter." And so on.
Jesus addressed this.

Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Luke 13:27
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law;
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.
If an attempt to be justified by law results in a fall from grace,
surely repentance brings restoration.

Revelation 3:3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual
restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pick A Verse! This passage from Galatians 5 used for the OP opens several topics for discussion,
including:
A. Liberty vs. Yoke of bondage.
B. If you become circumcised [see Acts 15:5], Christ will profit you nothing.
C. Debtor to keep the whole Law, as opposed to what? Keeping the commandments given
at Sinai? The four statutes given in Acts 15? Or something else.
D. Justified by the Law is a falling from Grace.
E. What does waiting for the hope of righteousness by faith suggest?
F. Faith working through Love.

Galatians 5:
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law;
They have fallen from salvation/justification by grace back into salvation/justification by law (works).

They have tossed their freedom in Christ.

Upvote 0