Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jeremiah 23:21 “I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.” I get so sick of the "God told me, God Spoke to Me" or the "God sent me to hell and back" extra biblical nonsense, it's always someone who says you lose your salvation by not living right, works salvation. Peter said we have a more sure word of prophecy, Paul said "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." Hey, we don't need any extra biblical revelation today. God spoke audibly at one time but we have the full word of God now all the counsel of God and need not go outside of it for any reason or any revelation. Watch out for these false prophets who say they took a trip to Hell and came back, or God told them to eat at KFC today or other extra biblical nonsense. "God told me this, God told me that" God says I sent them not, these are false prophets. they speak not according to the word, there is no light in them.

If you want to hear from God read his word. has nothing to do with God showing you some extra biblical revelation, don't go outside of what is written, God will never contradict his word. books read them cover to cover, stop looking for extra biblical revelation, God has given to us all that we need, 66 God breathed books, and they are truth meditate on his word day and night. stop this extra biblical nonsense.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2 Peter 1:21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Romans 3:27-28 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Last edited:

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Well many seek an experience and not The Word of God, but these experiences are full of false information.
Sad that many get their beliefs about eternal life salvation outside of The Bible, from philosophy type theology. Also sad that many get their creation information from science instead of The Bible.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Jeremiah 23:21 “I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.” I get so sick of the "God told me, God Spoke to Me" or the "God sent me to hell and back" extra biblical nonsense, it's always someone who says you lose your salvation by not living right, works salvation. Peter said we have a more sure word of prophecy, Paul said "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." Hey, we don't need any extra biblical revelation today. God spoke audibly at one time but we have the full word of God now all the counsel of God and need not go outside of it for any reason or any revelation. Watch out for these false prophets who say they took a trip to Hell and came back, or God told them to eat at KFC today or other extra biblical nonsense. "God told me this, God told me that" God says I sent them not, these are false prophets. they speak not according to the word, there is no light in them.

If you want to hear from God read his word. has nothing to do with God showing you some extra biblical revelation, don't go outside of what is written, God will never contradict his word. books read them cover to cover, stop looking for extra biblical revelation, God has given to us all that we need, 66 God breathed books, and they are truth meditate on his word day and night. stop this extra biblical nonsense.

2 Peter 1:21 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Romans 3:27-28 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
You will miss out on some great blessings if you do not seek revelation from God. Revelation will never contradict God's word, but it is living and active and can apply in a difficult situation.

God has spoken to me about 40 times in my 50 or so years as a Christian. He saved my life more than once. Decades ago, I was suicidally depressed. I planned to take my life. God broke through my depression and asked me, "How can you do this to your kids"? That stopped me in my tracks. Now I looked in my Bible, but I could not find "How can you do this to your kids". It must be in the Message bible.

Paul prayed that God's people would receive the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation. If more Christians had revelation, the church would be less fragmented, less confused and more united.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think that you can fully understand the Bible. You, as a modern human, are walking further away from God in a sinful world never ever be so corrupt before. The distance between you and God is widening.

It's not a surprise you need someone to be sent. However the advice is, get to the message by ignoring the messenger.

You know clearly that now we are in the End Time. You also know clearly that the book of Revelation (which is futuric) says that there will be the so-called Two Witnesses. How would you reckon them when they come, while you arrogantly declare that "no one shall be from God any more" (actually you won't say this if you can understand what the Bible says ;)).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The paraphrase John Owen:

If they agree with Scripture, they are needless. If they disagree, they are false.

What makes you think that you can fully understand the Bible. You, as a modern human, are walking further away from God in a sinful world never ever be so corrupt before. The distance between you and God is widening.

It's not a surprise you need someone to be sent. However the advice is, get to the message by ignoring the messenger.

You know clearly that now we are in the End Time. You also know clearly that the book of Revelation (which is futuric) says that there will be the so-called Two Witnesses. How would you reckon them when they come, while you arrogantly declare that "no one shall be from God any more" (actually you won't say this if you can understand what the Bible says ;)).

Of course, I am also not surprised that they may not be liked by humans,

Revelation 11:9
For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Revelation from God has been written, there is no new revelation from God being given during this age. Any revelation now is from the god of this world.

For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good day, Hawkins

I never asserted "What makes you think that you can fully understand the Bible."

So it is moot.

Can you say the historical Gnostic Heresy is alive and well?

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day, Hawkins

I never asserted "What makes you think that you can fully understand the Bible."

So it is moot.

Can you say the historical Gnostic Heresy is alive and well?

In Him,

Bill

Good day, BBAS.

I simply think that the line of reasoning is fallacious, no offense.

"Because too many false gods here that no God can be true".
"Because too many false prophets here that no prophet can be true".

That's why a good strategy is to try to get to the message by ignoring the messenger. Of course you may have made a point that self-glorifying could possibly identify a false prophet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

The Holy Spirit in me, the believer

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has given us all we need for salvation, for revelation of himself, his will etc.

But the Bible does not tell us where to live, what job to have, whether or not to marry and have children, which church to go to , what charities to support etc etc.
And yes, God can speak to us, guide us and show us these things. Sometimes he might not mind what we do in these areas, as long as we honour him. But he can certainly guide us if we ask him to - and also speak to us about other areas of our lives too.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Despise not prophesyings. "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." I Thess 5

Proving all things can include:
-check it against Scripture (Acts 17:11),
-ask for confirmation (Matt 18:16; Acts 9;9-19 especially v 10-12; II Cor 13:1)
-fasting and praying, (Judges 20:26-27)
-spiritual discernment, (Gal 2:9)
-does it point to Yeshua, (Rev 19:10)
-receive G_dly counsel (Prov 11:14).

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
But the Bible does not tell us where to live, what job to have, whether or not to marry and have children, which church to go to , what charities to support etc etc.
I would say that 90% of decisions we make in life can be made simply by applying the instructions given in scripture. There are 1050 of them in the New Testament alone!

For other decisions we can pray for wisdom (James 1:5) which is promised to be given to us. Then use our God-given brains to make a rational decision with the wisdom he provides.

Upvote 0

A Devil's Advocate

Nov 2, 2023
Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
Revelation from God has been written, there is no new revelation from God being given during this age. Any revelation now is from the god of this world.
I would have to agree with d tayler. The gospel is complete. There is no new revelation yet to be revealed when it comes to salvation. However, I believe there is still revelation within God's word that leads us to a far deeper understanding of it. For example, suddenly seeing something in a passage you may never have seen before, even though you've read the same passage hundreds of times. Thus bringing an even deeper understanding, or if I may, 'revelation.'
I see prophesy in much the same way. There is no new prophesy that will add to the gospel, or to the events of the world. Instead, I see prophesy when someone is able to give you a far greater and deeper understanding of your situation (or the reason for your situation) though what has already been written. If we can't test it through scripture, then we definitely can't trust it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation will never contradict God's word, but it is living and active and can apply in a difficult situation.
^^This^^
I have had encouragement, direction, and even correction from The Lord speaking through His Spirit. None of which ever contradicted His Word.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 23:21 “I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.” I get so sick of the "God told me, God Spoke to Me" or the "God sent me to hell and back" extra biblical nonsense, Peter said we have a more sure word of prophecy, Paul said "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." Hey, we don't need any extra biblical revelation today. God spoke audibly at one time but we have the full word of God now all the counsel of God and need not go outside of it for any reason or any revelation. Watch out for these false prophets who say they took a trip to Hell and came back, or God told them to eat at KFC today or other extra biblical nonsense. "God told me this, God told me that" God says I sent them not, these are false prophets. they speak not according to the word, there is no light in them.

The problem with extra biblical revelation is that ten people can all say “God told them so” in regards to a particular truth and not all of them are going to agree. Sometimes they will agree but they are adding new revelation to the Bible. For example: I talked with a Pentecostal who does not engage with his Bible regularly and he told me the belief that if a Christian (non Pentecostal) prays for other believers (Pentecostals) to stop speaking in tongues (i.e., tongues that are spoken without an interpreter like Pentecostals do), then this person praying for them to stop speaking in tongues, would be in sin. Yet, nowhere in the Bible is this called a sin. In other words, asking God to stop doing something is not always a sin. We see Abraham asking God to not bring judgment or wrath upon Sodom and Gomorrah, and yet this was not a sin. After I pointed this truth out to this person in Scripture, they still disagreed and they held on to their thoughts as if they were from God. But the Bible warns, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.” (Isaiah 55:8). They gave me no verse for any kind of biblical support. Their thoughts overruled what Scripture said; Hence the problem.

Another dilemma in extra biblical revelation is that it means you don’t have to read the Bible if God is the One who will just talk to you and guide you in life. I know some Pentecostals would disagree with that, but that is the ultimate conclusion of where extra biblical revelation leads to. Why read the Bible for guidance from God on what to believe and do if God can just communicated to you now some outside revelation, dream, or feeling or message by the way of a repeated message in the world? The Bible will then just gather dust on the shelf if one practices extra biblical communication or it will be read a lot less. There is no real need to live by what the Bible says alone. Already, the Pentecostal does not know they are violating 1 Corinthians 14 because they are not reading that chapter in deep study and examining whether they could be wrong or not. They are content to follow their Pentecostal church or their family who is Pentecostal as the gauge of truth because their church and their family are loving and nice and have been good to them. But Mormonism can claim to have extra biblical revelation (By their defense of the Book of Mormon), and I am sure they can claim their church, and their family have been good and nice to them, as well. Little do folks realize it’s all the same problem. They are getting away from the Word of God and they do not know they are violating Scripture. Even Bible alone professing Christians can have false doctrine, as well. Why? Because of the traditions of their church or because of false beliefs they prefer over what the Bible says. But it seems that those who accept extra biblical revelation are in the most danger because a new message of God can excite them to abandon Scripture even more. Take for example the Chosen TV series. The creators of the show say they are portraying the authentic Jesus and yet they also said that 95% of the show is not based on the Bible. They have study guides for their show for churches to grow spiritually. Even the actor (Jonathan Roumie) who plays Jesus is a Catholic mystic who indulges in Bill Johnson’s grave sucking techniques. Jonathan Roumie prayed to the dead Lonnie Frisbee (at his grave site) on whether or not to take the part of Lonnie Frisbee in the Jesus Revolution film. He received the sign to take the part. Extra biblical revelation.

Side Note:

Also, how would say that your extra biblical revelation is different than Jonathan Roumie’s extra biblical grave sucking techniques?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pentecostalism, and the Charismatic movement all rely on extra biblical revelation along with the Bible, but there is no agreed upon standard of the revelations given and to see if they are from God or not. One group may believe the story of how this boy died and seen Jesus and we can now create false idol images of Jesus based on his story or another one. Another group believes something else. There is no real standard to see if it is of God or not. But with the Bible, we can see the consistent message of His Word and know that such a book is from God. We can claim the Bible is our guide for all matters of faith and practice. Now, do not get me wrong. Believers should ask God the Father for the Holy Spirit to give them the understanding on God’s Word as they read it. I see this as a continual asking and not a one time prayer. We also should be striving to live a holy life for this prayer to be effective, as well. This is the Anointing as found in 1 John 2:27. This is why many today do not understand the Bible and or they do not accept all of what it says. But those who ask for the understanding on His Word from God are not seeking to add any new revelation or message to the Bible. God’s Word is enough. I mean, are not 66 books enough? Some do not seem to think so. I would say that if you are making major life decisions, the Bible will guide you to the answer. Especially if you ask God to show you repeatedly the answer and He answers with Scripture. This is what the Pentecostal and Charismatic does not do alone as their sole guide or method. While I will not claim that every believer who prophesies is not of God on our planet, I am also not going to exactly trust them because the Bible is sufficient to guide me without their prophesy and because we are living in the Laodicean age where everyone does what is right and good in their own eyes. My soul is too important to follow some dream, vision, extra biblical holy book. The Bible is what I can trust. It is a sure Word indeed. But let those who like to dive into extra biblical revelation take the gamble if they like. My soul is too important to play games with. Generally in my experience, prophesy and extra revelation have turned out to be unbiblical.

Can you say that you have checked your extra biblical revelation with Scripture?
Meaning, did you truly scrutinize it fully or did you just accept it was from God automatically?
This is the danger in extra biblical revelation. Maybe you are being blind sided to hear something extra biblical that you desire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with extra biblical revelation is that ten people can all say “God told them so” in regards to a particular truth and not all of them are going to agree.
That's quite true.
"God told" Rev Moon that he was the 2nd Messiah because Jesus had failed.
"God told" Peter Sutcliffe to kill prostitutes.
God has probably "told" other cult leaders, or criminals, that he endorses their actions.

So I agree that it is necessary to check such claims against the Bible. As has already been said; God will not contradict his word.

They gave me no verse for any kind of biblical support.
That, itself, is a problem though - not every situation will be resolved by looking in the Bible.
The Bible is absolutely relevant today, I'm not saying otherwise. But it cannot speak directly into our culture because it's different from Bible culture.
What I mean is, you will not find verses in the Bible which allow you to use a computer/smart phone/iPad, fly in a plane, own a gun etc - obviously those things hadn't been invented then.
The Bible talks about men not divorcing; what about women? In those days a woman had no rights and could not initiate a divorce - does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to now? The same is true of women going out to work - or men staying at home to mind the children, come to that.

So, though I agree with you to some extent, saying "there is no verse in the Bible for that" does not necessarily mean the thing is forbidden.
(Quite aside from the fact that we should not be using one verse to form a doctrine.)

Another dilemma in extra biblical revelation is that it means you don’t have to read the Bible if God is the One who will just talk to you and guide you in life.
The thing is that God does talk to us and guide us in life, and in matters that are not discussed in Scripture.
It would have been so much easier, when I was younger, if the Bible had told me which university to apply to, what to study, what job to take and so on. But it didn't.
This is where God can guide us.

Also, I would hope that no Christian would say, "God talks to me every morning; therefore I no longer need Scripture."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That, itself, is a problem though - not every situation will be resolved by looking in the Bible.
Actually no. 2 Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, correction, and instruction in righteousness. Any matter involving instruction in righteousness is to found in Scripture. Well, that is if you believe 2 Timothy 3:16. If we start to invent sin that just comes into our own heads vs. looking to the Word of God, then we not believing the Bible and we are just inventing our own version of the faith. Romans 10:17 says faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God.

The Bible is absolutely relevant today, I'm not saying otherwise. But it cannot speak directly into our culture because it's different from Bible culture.
This is false. The Bible can speak to every situation of your life.
Nowhere does the Bible say it is not relevant when it comes to certain cultural things.
Only you are saying that and not the Bible.

What I mean is, you will not find verses in the Bible which allow you to use a computer/smart phone/iPad,
To some degree, … yes.
If computers, smart phones, and iPads make a person to stumble into sin, then it is advisable for a person to limit or cut off the use of these things. We apply the general principles of other teachings by our Lord Jesus. Jesus basically says to do whatever it takes to not lust after a woman (Matthew 5:28-30). This obviously applies also to a woman lusting after a man.

fly in a plane,
It depends on the plane. If it is an expensive private jet that you own, I would say it would be a problem. But general method of travel is not an issue unless one makes it an idol, or it is a part of one’s expression of their rich lifestyle.

own a gun etc - obviously those things hadn't been invented then.
The same principle is the same in having a sword. Jesus teaches Non-Violence to His disciples during the time they live out their faith. This obviously is different when Jesus returns at His Second Coming, though.

The Bible talks about men not divorcing; what about women?
We are one in Christ and so if there is no instruction or detail, we are to assume that women are not to divorce, either.
It’s like 2 Timothy 3:17. 2 Timothy 3:17 says that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works. Obviously this also includes the woman of God, too.

In those days a woman had no rights and could not initiate a divorce - does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to now? The same is true of women going out to work - or men staying at home to mind the children, come to that.
What matters is…. “What saith the Scriptures?”
While I do not have all the answers with the Bible, I know that there are answers if one prays and looks to the Bible.
To say otherwise is to undermine God’s Word and it‘s purpose in our lives.

So, though I agree with you to some extent, saying "there is no verse in the Bible for that" does not necessarily mean the thing is forbidden.
(Quite aside from the fact that we should not be using one verse to form a doctrine.)
The person did not have any Bible verse to form their doctrine by inventing a sin that the Bible does not talk about. The truth in my rebuttal involving Scripture is sufficient to show that there is biblical grounds to show that praying for God to not do a particular thing is not sinful like we read about in the story of Abraham involving his desire to spare the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. One either accepts this truth in the Bible, or they don’t. Either that or somebody does not believe they can fully understand the Bible as if it can be known.

The thing is that God does talk to us and guide us in life, and in matters that are not discussed in Scripture.
It would have been so much easier, when I was younger, if the Bible had told me which university to apply to, what to study, what job to take and so on. But it didn't.
Again, I believe the Bible has the answers to even these things. One has to pray and ask and then look at Scripture diligently. God talks to His people by His Word in all things.

This is where God can guide us.

Also, I would hope that no Christian would say, "God talks to me every morning; therefore I no longer need Scripture."
Well, the problem if they believe God audibly talks to them, their reading of Scripture will be tainted to favor their extra biblical communication.
We are to test the spirits.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.