• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Racism among Evangelicals

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mark Landry, May 29, 2019.

1. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Me either, and it sounds like both of us spend a lot of time around liberal activists, so we know. It’s a caricature, and a straw man created by people who don’t really spend time with people on the “other side.”

2. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I’ve involved in liberal and leftist politics and activism for many years, and led trainings and discussions on race. I have neither heard or read anyone seriously say anything like what the other poster quoted. It’s the type of thing conservatives make up about liberals. Sure, maybe there is some crazy conspiracy theorist out there who is paranoid and delusional and said that, but that would be the crazy talking, not the liberal.

Why don’t you post a quote or two of what you’ve heard that’s similar.

3. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Just to clarify, you heard a liberal say this? Specifically? Not that the color of a bandaid demonstrates that the dominant culture is white, but that a group of evil white men smoking cigars decided to make bandaids white in order to stick it to minorities? Because I’m not buying it, unless that person was mentally ill.

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,923
    Anglican
    Married
    Well, I have heard it. I have already attested to that. Plus, we have another poster saying she has heard it, too.

You replied that her statement was a "joke" and, further, said that "no liberal" believes what was reported there, although how you could know that I am not sure.

So if you have not heard such comments yourself, you are forgiven; but it does happen and not just once in the proverbial blue moon.

5. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Can you give me an example?

6. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+504
    Christian
    Married
    Are any of the posters who think racism is a problem for Evangelicals actually Evangelicals? I went to Evangelical churches in America from 1981-1990 and graduated from an Evangelical seminary. I did not see any overt racism. Nor did I hear any overtly racist comments.

There is a lot of discussion about what liberals really say, but how about giving some credence to what Evangelicals really say and do?

7. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
    I see many minorities who are better off than me, so im not seeing evidence for your assertion. Not in my life anyway.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  8. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+739
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    This statement would be more meaningful if you give us some information about where you live and work and what type of work you do. What is the apples to apples comparison?

9. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I didn’t assert that no minorities are better off than white people. So what do you mean?

10. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
    Why is that relevant? My word means nothing?

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
    No you asserted "we" but i say speak for yourself friend.

12. ChristianForCats

+739
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Where you live and work could be completely different from the norm. Maybe your type of job is one that usually does not have obstacles many black people face for all I know. Your words mean something but it would mean more with a few specific details.

13. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+5,075
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    He knows it, too. He's just punching the right-wing race card.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
    No, there are many minorities who have more than many whites i know. Your assertion that all whites have benefited from systematic racism is untrue, and stems from ignorance about whites and the challenges they face. Blaming whitey for everything is getting old.

15. ChristianForCats

+739
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I am white, so it would be ridiculous to blame whites for everything.

16. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  17. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We’re not just talking about wealth here.

18. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    So covert racism is OK? People got smart about that, take it from Lee Atwater:

“You start out in 1954 by saying, “N——, n—-, n——.” By 1968 you can’t say “n——”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N___, n____.”

19. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,862
    Christian
    Private
  20. Sparagmos

+2,206
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Forbes? There are links in the article. Are you disputing that whites on average have a lot more money than blacks?