• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Racism among Evangelicals

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mark Landry, May 29, 2019.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,790
    Christian
    Private
    I dont know.

2. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+408
    Christian
    Married
    I mean exactly what I said, you just don't like it.

3. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+4,883
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I've seen it happen. If you want to reveal where the racial divide is in the church, hire a pastor of a different color and give him power. Some people will leave. Others may confess their racism as a sin and seek forgiveness. Some painful conversations will be had where there are sharp disagreements, but people will learn. I learned.

4. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+408
    Christian
    Married
    Apparently, the liberals on this thread have no actual experience with Evangelical racism, it is all imputed based on bad faith.

5. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+368
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Now you admit it is not a fact, becuase if it was a fact you would know it.

6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,790
    Christian
    Private
    Im poor, who can i blame? No one.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+368
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Are you unemployed, working an entry level job, or living in a county with high living expenses?

8. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,487
    Christian
    Married
    No, He does not.

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. -- 1 Corinthians 1

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3

Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. -- Colossians 3

9. RDKirk

+10,487
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, it is a problem.

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. -- 1 Corinthians 1

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3

Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. -- Colossians 3

10. RDKirk

+10,487
    Christian
    Married
    Strawman. There is no government interference in congregational membership anyway. That argument belongs elsewhere.

11. RDKirk

+10,487
    Christian
    Married
    The problem in America is that too many Christians have their Christianity entangled with secular politics.

When Christians can start to get concerned on a congregational level with each other's needs and start working on meeting each other's needs then they can see the causes of those needs and start to understand each other's situations. They can get beyond the politics.

I think, however, there are fundamental problems with the basic way Americans "do church" that tend to militate against members seeking to meet each others' needs. We have to stop doing church the way we've been doing it and make caring for each other a top priority.

12. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+4,712
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I know you said it. It's just completely wrong.

13. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,493
    Methodist
    Racism among Evangelicals

Evangelicals have chosen to align themselves with a political party whose supporters are almost exclusively "white," and advocates a political agenda that has been universally rejected by virtually ever other visible minority!

The Republican Party has a long tradition of attempting to compensate for the relative decline of its demographic base of supporters by adopting a strategy of voter suppression - attempting to counteract the growth of visible minorities as a % of the American electorate!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  14. Daniel C

Daniel C Active Member

+164
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Single

Not a strawman.

I did actually say community, not church.Forced integration laws have moved us into a (hypothetical) place where people like the OP and I could be living down the same street with no option of openly separating.I don't like his views he does not like mine. People who are opposed in principles and values are forced to associate and the expectation from the people like the OP for everyone to replicate his way of life or else. It shouldn't be that way, I should be able to live in a nation with laws that allow people to choose their associates unconditionally. After we screen out people who are identified as inappropriate and bring in those who are right for us, then we set up the church with the people who are like minded as us.

Simple. :)

15. The Barbarian

+4,712
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    This is the key, I think. If republicans were welcoming of non-white voters, and democrats were the party of crabby old white people, I have no doubt that democrats would be ginning up the same sorts of voter suppression, under the cover of "ballot security."

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,885
    Anglican
    Married
    That's primarily true of the liberal denominations.

Is this something that's peculiar to American Christians, though? I'm thinking its not.

17. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven "After all this time?" Always.

+10,921
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green

18. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven "After all this time?" Always.

+10,921
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    I think much of evangelical Christianity and conservativism has become indistinguishable.

19. The Barbarian

+4,712
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yes, for far too long the Religious Left has been ignoring God in favor of political campaigns. (WFTH-I)

20. RDKirk

+10,487
    Christian
    Married
    I think you're keeping your left eye closed.

Frequent, historically, in the West, most pronounced today in the United States.

It doesn't happen with Christians in Asia, except in the Philippines. How they do church is totally devoid of politics among themselves--they're all in tension with the government.