• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Racism among Evangelicals

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mark Landry, May 29, 2019.

1. Mark Landry

Mark Landry New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Research seems to suggest that racism is a problem among Evangelicals. Nevermind the "Trump supporters are racist" argument - there's other evidences that we've got some serious work to do. But we're so segregated that this problem doesn't seem apparent. This article takes things a bit deeper, detailing the story of a white pastor facing his own racism, and the implications it has for moving forward.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+988
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Which research?
    Racism is a non starter for me having grown up in a mixed neighborhood and worked all my life in a mixed environment. One thing it has taught me.. 'white guilt' is a fallacious concept, and due to a sinful nature, all races are guilty of racism, barring the new birth.

3. TRVL ONE

TRVL ONE Member

+40
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    We all have our problems. Some people have a degree of racism and it's a process of renewing our minds.

4. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Forgive me, but why is it always whites who are guilty? Is the problem of racism exclusively a white problem? Im just wondering.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Peter J Barban

Peter J Barban Well-Known Member

+494
    Christian
    Married
    Is it really racism that Black people want to worship with Blacks, Whites with Whites, and Chinese with Chinese? Maybe it is just an example of freedom to associate with those we are most comfortable with. Let us be careful about reading other people's minds and judging their unseen hearts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Mark Landry

Mark Landry New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The research is cited in the article

7. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+14,828
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That all kind of depends on how you define racism.

If racism is ONLY white => black aggression; and black => white aggression is REVERSE racism; what do you say about struggles between Hispanics and Asians?

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,460
    Anglican
    Married
    The writer probably should have stuck with the first part of the title as it was in the publication--

How I Came to Grips with My Own Racism

...when the idea of starting this thread came along.

9. Mark Landry

Mark Landry New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    My opinion - all races have racism, but white racism is responsible for social/governmental systems that are rigged in favor of whites at the expense of non-whites. If that's true, white racism is much more destructive than the racism of other groups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+14,828
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    There is a small town (about 4k people) just north of my home town. On the outskirts there is a denominational seminary. But in town there are over a dozen different congregations of that denomination, each one to a different ethnicity/nationality.

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Im white and poor while some rich folks are black. So whats that say about our system?

12. Mark Landry

Mark Landry New Member

+5
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Amen, but when our problems cause bigger problems for large groups of people, they're much more urgent to deal with.

13. Peter J Barban

+494
    Christian
    Married
    I see that as beautiful. Perhaps God does, too.

14. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,460
    Anglican
    Married
    That's what a lot of people who are still working on overcoming their own racism seem to think, all right.

15. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    What problems specifically?

16. Peter J Barban

+494
    Christian
    Married
    In my opinion virtue signaling is the greater problem.

17. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Could you elaborate please?

18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,460
    Anglican
    Married
  19. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
  20. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,403
    Christian
    Single
    My brother and his wife adopted a child from Ethiopia. He is probably the only African American in his church and school. His sister and parents are Caucasian. He wants to move to LA when he grows up. I told him there are more opportunities for African Americans in cities where the mayor is African American. I told him about Washington, D.C.

I used to work for a Fortune 500 company that was integrated. At times I did not think of my coworkers of other races as different, only as part of the same team.