marlowe007

Veteran
Dec 8, 2008
✟23,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I think you should draw the line at anything that falls under the category of death/thrash metal, since most of these bands openly pride themselves on being Satan worshipers, and in all likelihood are. We don't question when artists claim to be Christian, so why should we doubt the sincerity of musicians who claim to be Satanists? Most probably belong to the LeVayen school of thought.

Besides which, you'd do your ears a great service by avoiding throat-cancer Cookie Monster vocals, idiotic blastbeat uberdrumming, Iron-Maiden-on-crack harmony guitar squeals and laughable me-so-evil lyrical paeans to forensic pathology....all the crapola trademarks of extreme "music" that has proliferated like kudzu since nobody making this noise has any appreciable talent* besides being the Weird Kid With The Black Fingernail Polish And The Ed Gein Poster in high-school.

* Sigh. This is where someone inevitably reads aloud from the death metal public relations sheet about how difficult it is to play and how you have to be a supreme musician to even attempt a classic like "Ammoniated Pungency Of Eviscerated Schoolgirl Carcasses", and how only lesser musicians with microscopic testes toil in the barley-fields of "mainstream music".

Has anybody with even two firing synapses in their skull ever bought that one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skilletdude

Aug 20, 2006
California
✟8,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually it's black metal bands that are pretty openly satanic (particularly norwegian black metal bands if I'm not mistaken). Really, the major difference between black metal and death metal is the lyrics (or at least it used to be).

Not a fan of either but I don't mind melodeath metal. Wintersun being one of my favorites I think.

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Actually it's black metal bands that are pretty openly satanic (particularly norwegian black metal bands if I'm not mistaken). Really, the major difference between black metal and death metal is the lyrics (or at least it used to be).

Not a fan of either but I don't mind melodeath metal. Wintersun being one of my favorites I think.

I know, it's a bummer that they're so openly Satanic. I like the sound of Agalloch and Woods of Ypres, but they're pretty satanic, doom/black metal has a cool sound though. But, it's hard to find any of it that's not Satanic, I will not listen to Satanic stuff, it just goes against my morals and what I believe in.

I try to stay away from the generic metal stuff though, it's just boring and sounds all the same, all screaming, all powerchords... Stuff like that, but I listen to post-metal quite frequently. Which combines ambience, post-rock, and metal vocals. It's basically heavier post rock, with vocals. I love it, I think it sounds incredible. So, here are mainly post-metal bands:

Katatonia's a decent doom metal sounding band, but I'm not sure of their alignment, religion wise... But, I haven't heard any evil stuff in their songs, yet, but I haven't listened to them much.

But, Rosetta and Mouth of The Architect are fantastic metal/post-metal bands that are not Satanic, in fact, the bassist of Rosetta is a Christian. There are also bands like Oceana, their first album is good metal. Oceano is also a metal band, haha, oddly, the two bands have almost identical names.

Isis is really good too, but they're not around anymore... Sadly.
Those are my top three post-metal/metal bands though.

Upvote 0

WandererOfTheWastes

witty and/or profound title
Jul 5, 2010
Various Western Australia
✟15,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard one cannibal corpse song, and I am MAD

A few things that you're all in dire need of educating:

1) Death and black metal are extremely different. Compare Ulver (fantastic band)'s Nattens Madrical to, I dunno, Nile's Annihilation of the Wicked. Completely different riffing style? production? Style of composition? Funnily enough, yes! Granted, there are a few bands which blur the lines, but they are different genres for a reason.

2) Funny how you think "generic" metal sounds the same, but yet somehow post-metal (which consists of bands trying to copy either Oceanic or Times of Grace) is not. If you think Ride the Lightning sounds the same as Black Sabbath, much less stuff like Cirith Ungol's King of the Dead, you need your ears checked. Isis are a sweet band though.

2a) Pretty much no post metal is satanic. Still, buy the Isis disco, buy the Neurosis discography and maybe Cult of Luna (not satanic, just dudes with a sweet band name) and you've heard the cream of the genre. The rest is pretty boring.

3) Agalloch and WoY aren't satanic, but they're not black metal and they're not exactly good, either. WoY in particular.. most pompous crap ever.

4)Katatonia- early stuff may be theologically dodgy (not familiar with it) but anything Dance of December Souls and after is fine, perfectly acceptable. Just a bunch of sad swedish people.

Upvote 0

poeticlurker

exactly what it says on the tin
Sep 21, 2010
✟15,600.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've only ever heard of 2 of those bands (Children of Bodom and Pantera), and I have no idea how anti-Christian they are, if at all.

I listen to a bit of everything including some symphonic metal. My favorites are Nightwish and Within Temptation. I think the singer/songwriter of WT is Pagan, but as far as I know there's nothing anti-Christian, and the Pagan lyrics are mostly about Earth and nature ("Mother Earth" in particular is my favorite song by them).

Therion is also awesome. Tarot as far as I know doesn't have anti-Christian lyrics. Iron Maiden is also FREAKING AWESOME.

Upvote 0

dana3262

Jun 24, 2007
✟7,952.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
While Slayer have an semi anti Christian lyrical theme. among other themes, the vocalist/bassist, Tom Araya is actually Catholic and the other dudes are agnostic/atheist. I never considered not listening to them!
They sound great, the guitars are mad and I never pay attention to lyrics myself anyways as I'm a guitarist and its the music not the lyrics I'm really into.

As for Deicide, yes, Glen Benton is a theistic satanist. They suck anyways.

Slayer's lyrical themes are theater, a form of entertainment and Tom Araya himself said "they are not literal or to be taken seriously" so I'd hate to see someone not enjoy Slayer because they have been mislead into thinking they are satanists.

While some of these bands in this thread don't have ideal lyrical content, unless they are theistic satanists I see no reason to avoid them. If they are possibly going to influence you negatively then you need to work towards a stronger grounding in Gods word and maybe layoff this kind of music until you have done so. However, anyone with a strong grounding in Gods word can easily enjoy this kind of music without any negative consequences in my opinion...I do so myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Fourth Horseman

Logic is my god
Nov 24, 2010
✟7,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a huge fan of metal and rock, and I want new bands to listen to that aren't too anti-christian.
I love hard rock, power metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, and other things like that.
So my question is kind of two-fold:
One, what bands do you think are appropriate for Christians to listen to and where should I draw the line? For the most part I consider things like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ensiferum, Megadeth, Nightwish, Helloween, etc to be acceptable while in my opinion Deicide, Goatwhore, Marilyn Manson, and Slayer are not.
And two, do you consider these bands satanic/a bad influence?
Accept
Testament
Children of Bodom
Sodom
Candlemass
Finntroll
Death
Vader
White Zombie
Pantera
Sepultura
Nile
Necrophagist
Turisas

Thanks!:)

The only one one that list I would consider directly "anti-christian" is Vader, but Vader is such a Kick ass band you would be missing out. The others are fine and I am only unfamiliar with three of them.

Upvote 0

The Fourth Horseman

Logic is my god
Nov 24, 2010
✟7,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I think you should draw the line at anything that falls under the category of death/thrash metal, since most of these bands openly pride themselves on being Satan worshipers, and in all likelihood are. We don't question when artists claim to be Christian, so why should we doubt the sincerity of musicians who claim to be Satanists? Most probably belong to the LeVayen school of thought.

Besides which, you'd do your ears a great service by avoiding throat-cancer Cookie Monster vocals, idiotic blastbeat uberdrumming, Iron-Maiden-on-crack harmony guitar squeals and laughable me-so-evil lyrical paeans to forensic pathology....all the crapola trademarks of extreme "music" that has proliferated like kudzu since nobody making this noise has any appreciable talent* besides being the Weird Kid With The Black Fingernail Polish And The Ed Gein Poster in high-school.

* Sigh. This is where someone inevitably reads aloud from the death metal public relations sheet about how difficult it is to play and how you have to be a supreme musician to even attempt a classic like "Ammoniated Pungency Of Eviscerated Schoolgirl Carcasses", and how only lesser musicians with microscopic testes toil in the barley-fields of "mainstream music".

Has anybody with even two firing synapses in their skull ever bought that one?
To bad all those things put together equal Awesome.

I don't care what anyone says, Thrash/Death and Black Metal are the best Genres of Metal ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lunallena777

Dec 20, 2010
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I sometimes question the same thing ?"where shall we draw the line?" From the bands you listed "DEATH" is actually my favorite band ever and it seems like such a contradiction. I don't think their lyrics are that bad. I have to admit their earlier music is pretty gory, but for some reason I still listen to them. I even have a bunch of t-shirts with their logo and sometimes wonder what Christians would think. However, Chuck Schuldiner was like the coolest, chill guy and super talented guitarist/vocalist and even before he died he wanted to change the name to "Spiritual Healing," but their popularity was too great already for that change.

In some dark metal bands, I try to ignore the lyrics and are lured by the technicality, heaviness and primal vibe.

Well, I'm not sure what God would say about us listening to this music, but I don't understand why we are so drawn to it? ha ha

What to do?

I also love COB and bands like OBITUARY and The Faceless.

By the way I'm like the only person that likes metal in my family and I'm a girl so I do experience some judgment among the family and my brother constantly tells me to stop listening to "devil music."

Hmm...maybe one day I'll stop loving heavy metal--or not!

-LL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

grainofsalt

MOST Metal bands are NOT Satanic. Most aren't even anti-Christian. A lot of them do raise questions about organized religion in general (such of forcing faith, crusades, hippocricy, respect for others beliefs, preaching the wrong messages in church, ect).

Some band members have come out and admitted they are Christian too. Nightwish's guitarist has stated he believes in Christ, but that his faith is personal and not to be disclosed. Dream Theater's John Myung has stated Jesus is the biggest influence on his life, yet James Labrie from the same band seems to be very critical of organized religion while still being very pro personal faith/ pro relationship with God.

Metal bands that I would consider to be non satanic (take this list with a grain of salt and do your own research)

Nightwish
Within Temptation
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Anathema
Iron Maiden
Ronnie James Dio
Megadeth
Opeth -The band itself avoids satanic themes like the plague. There drummer however is part of a mock satanic band so consider that in your calculations.
Between the Buried and Me
Extol (Christian Death Metal/ Avante Garde Metal)
As I lay Dying (Christian Thrash/ Deathcore)
Amorphis
Avenged Sevenfold
Seventh Wonder
Dreamscape
Symphony X (their keyboardist plays organ in the church, not a christian band per se though)
Kamelot
Daylight Dies
Paradise Lost

Upvote 0