Ottawa
✟9,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This guy can sang.

And LOUD.

From the deepest recesses of his heart, soul, n' gut.

Stellar.

my mind was blown when I first heard that cover...led me to see out more from the band. I listened to a live gig at Red Rocks. His voice is unique. They are not totally my cup of tea but are worth a listen

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
How many times has this question been raised on CF? There are always three camps: ____ music is of the devil; I love Christian artists who play that style; there is nothing inherently wrong with the style and I can listen to secular artists, so long as they do not promote anti-Christian positions. These issues become a test of piety for many. But, these issues are seldom black and white, they are usually a test of one's own faith. What effect does this, or any, music have on YOU?

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i don't believe any artist truly promotes anti-Christian positions. They create images or personas that are fake and seek to sell records and nothing else. I don't believe for one minute that Black Sabbath members ever uttered the word Satan outside of their musical lives

Maybe you don't believe that evil exists, too. If a musician puts a public evil or bad persona to make money, that's an evil thing to do right there. He makes his living by leading people away from God and into some darkness, using his music and stage to push them to fall further, instead of helping them to get up.

Upvote 0

Mark_Ward

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
✟9,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I believe evil exists I don't necessarily equate dodgy lyrics as evil, bad taste and provocative yes but evil not really. WE have free will, we choose to act upon or not act upon what we hear. Don't get me wrong I am not an impressionable teen and I totally get it that some people are more inclined to fantasise about the message from some bands - not me thankfully

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i don't believe any artist truly promotes anti-Christian positions. They create images or personas that are fake and seek to sell records and nothing else. I don't believe for one minute that Black Sabbath members ever uttered the word Satan outside of their musical lives
Oh, there are artists that do. Black Sabbath, that was a shtick they came up with after watching a horror movie. But there are artists that sing anti-Christian songs out of conviction. As a Christian, I choose not to listen to those particular songs.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a cd album of Petra from 2003, which is also one of my favourites. This one sounds also much heavier than their earlier music too, I think? :) Although I enjoy listening to a lot of their other music too.

Seems like you really appreciate loud and heavy, hard rock.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems like you really appreciate loud and heavy, hard rock

I sure like it a lot, but like someone else mentioned in here, it all depends on my mood too, what I choose listening to. For example yesterday I listened a lot to spanish guitar as in flamenco tunes. It will all depend from time to time....

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But there are artists that sing anti-Christian songs out of conviction. As a Christian, I choose not to listen to those particular songs.

Yes, and Metallica is not "good taste" either. It's easy to get sidetracked in a world we live in.

Here are some Metallica lyrics:

There is an evil feeling in our brains
(Seek & Destroy, 'our' reffers to singer and his crew)

Am I evil? Yes I am.
Am I evil? I am man, yes I am.
(Am I Evil?, cover, but nonetheless, they choose to record it)

We are gonna rip right through your brain
We got the lethal power, it is causing you sweet pain
(Hit The Lights)

You only live once so take hold of the chance
Don't end up like others the same song and dance
(Motorbreath, presenting godless worldview)

Getting your kicks as you are shooting the line
Sending the shivers up and down your spine
(Motorbreath, presenting what seems like taking drugs)

Now it is time for your fate and I won't hesitate
to pull you down into this pit
So come on, jump in the fire
So come on, jump in the fire
(Jump In The Fire, singer speaking as a devil)

Bang your head against the stage
Like you never did before
Make it ring, make it bleed, make it really sore
In a frenzied madness with your leather and your spikes
Heads are bobbing all around, it is hot as hell tonight
(Whiplash)

Fall onto your knees for the Phantom Lord
(Phantom Lord)

And this is only short excerpt from first album. Those are songs, by the way, they play in concerts all these years, so it's not that it's something from their past.

There are lyrics in a video couple of pages before that cements it. Who wants to see it, go to page 2 and find it.

I guess "Open your eyes" is a point I'm getting at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I sure like it a lot, but like someone else mentioned in here, it all depends on my mood too, what I choose listening to..
I think it might be a generational thing also; because some ppl my age or older find it hard to appreciate loud, hard rock. The fact that loud, hard rock probably well expresses the way you sometimes feel is probably generational to some extent, don't you think?

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it might be a generational thing also; because some ppl my age or older find it hard to appreciate loud, hard rock. The fact that loud, hard rock probably well expresses the way you sometimes feel is probably generational to some extent, don't you think?

Is it generational, or are we all more impressionable when we are younger, and get easier drawn by glitz and all?

Take a look at the lyrics couple posts above and see if it's just "how young people feel sometimes."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it generational, or are we all more impressionable when we are younger, and get easier drawn by glitz and all?

Take a look at the lyrics couple posts above and see if it's just "how young people feel sometimes."
Actually if you look at various past posts on different threads I have actually referred to hard hitting Biblical lyrics which bands such as Disciple sing. I think you are trying to link the bad lyrics of some secular bands with the style of Christian bands, and then somehow to claim that Christian hard rock bands are smeared by them. (But do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually if you look at various past posts on different threads I have actually referred to hard hitting Biblical lyrics which bands such as Disciple sing. I think you are trying to link the bad lyrics of some secular bands with the style of Christian bands, and then somehow to claim that Christian hard rock bands are smeared by them. (But do correct me if I'm wrong.)

I don't listen to modern Christian rock, and couldn't name a band except one or two that were mentioned on this thread. So I'm not trying to link to them, since I don't know anything about them. I am talking about mainstream popular offering, be it rock, pop, metal etc. Those lyrics above are from biggest band in metal, for example. But you can take biggest performers from any popular genre, and you'll probably find something toxic, if not outright exposed, as case above.

And I don't believe that any modern commercial setting is free of fishy things, including genre of Christian rock.

All in all, when choosing what to listen, one should be on alert as if going through a mine field. A lot of bad offerings is out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It will all depend from time to time....
I've been listening to your Petra link; and with your smiley in the previous post I can just imagine you really enjoying the controlled explosion of the hard rock.

(At times there seem to be almost echoes of Norway's A-HA...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, and Metallica is not "good taste" either. It's easy to get sidetracked in a world we live in.
Metallica makes (or used to make) great music. Simple as that. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Posting lyrics that I either don't like or am indifferent to isn't going to change a mind that isn't gullible. I'm sure there are better things that you can do with your time.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've been listening to your Petra link; and with your smiley in the previous post I can just imagine you really enjoying the controlled explosion of the hard rock.

(At times there seem to be almost echoes of Norway's A-HA...)

Well, when I was younger I listened to a lot of oldfashioned music which were considered outdated/classics type of music for most children my age. I remember one time at school we had a radio project and we were told to take with us music we liked to use for this. And most children had a big choice of music which were very trendy during this time, whilst I had music like a old song from Mike Oldfield,Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, and also some folkmusic from different countries, e.t.c... I didn't take with me any trendy music back then, even though I could also listen to that type of music, but I also listened to a lot of different music.

Haha! Echoes from A-HA! That's funny! :ahah::)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, when I was younger I listened to a lot of oldfashioned music which were considered outdated/classics type of music for most children my age. I remember one time at school we had a radio project and we were told to take with us music we liked to use for this. And most children had a big choice of music which were very trendy during this time, whilst I had music like a old song from Mike Oldfield,Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell, and also some folkmusic from different countries, e.t.c... I didn't take with me any trendy music back then, even though I could also listen to that type of music, but I also listened to a lot of different music.

Haha! Echoes from A-HA! That's funny! :ahah::)
So, loud hard rock is something that you 'discovered' in later years, then? :)

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, loud hard rock is something that you 'discovered' in later years, then? :)

I did discover old rock earlier or when I was quite young, this is something you also discover happening in the earlier centuries too... I did for example listen to rock classics up to heavy metal. But when I discovered about the main "metal world" which indeed became much faster, voices became more brutal/darker sounding, screams, e.t.c... then I sure discovered about this in my early 20s.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did discover old rock earlier or when I was quite young, this is something you also discover happening in the earlier centuries too... I did for example listen to rock classics up to heavy metal. But when I discovered about the main "metal world" which indeed became much faster, voices became more brutal/darker sounding, screams, e.t.c... then I sure discovered about this in my early 20s.
So do you now like rasping screamo vocals accompanying loud and fast metal?

Upvote 0