Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOST Metal bands are NOT Satanic. Most aren't even anti-Christian. A lot of them do raise questions about organized religion in general (such of forcing faith, crusades, hippocricy, respect for others beliefs, preaching the wrong messages in church, ect).

Some band members have come out and admitted they are Christian too. Nightwish's guitarist has stated he believes in Christ, but that his faith is personal and not to be disclosed. Dream Theater's John Myung has stated Jesus is the biggest influence on his life, yet James Labrie from the same band seems to be very critical of organized religion while still being very pro personal faith/ pro relationship with God.

Metal bands that I would consider to be non satanic (take this list with a grain of salt and do your own research)

Nightwish
Within Temptation
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Anathema
Iron Maiden
Ronnie James Dio
Megadeth
Opeth -The band itself avoids satanic themes like the plague. There drummer however is part of a mock satanic band so consider that in your calculations.
Between the Buried and Me
Extol (Christian Death Metal/ Avante Garde Metal)
As I lay Dying (Christian Thrash/ Deathcore)
Amorphis
Avenged Sevenfold
Seventh Wonder
Dreamscape
Symphony X (their keyboardist plays organ in the church, not a christian band per se though)
Kamelot
Daylight Dies
Paradise Lost

Really? Dream Theater has Christians in the band? Some of their songs seem to hint at letting in darkness or evil spirits....

I don't know about you guys, but I just can't listen to someone bashing my Savior and Lord whom I owe everything, and still have a clear conscience.

Who cares if it is just for show??? Who cares if they don't really believe in satan, they are still saying things against the one I am supposed to serve with all of my being....

That being said, I don't have anything against the music, secular or Christian as nothing in the bible suggests that it would be wrong.

Symphony X's album Paradise Lost seemed pretty satanic to me....although I loved the music!

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Really? Dream Theater has Christians in the band? Some of their songs seem to hint at letting in darkness or evil spirits....

They tend to approach it from a perspective of theory. For instance, the two part song "In the Presence of Enemies" [lyrics by Petrucci] first talks of a man being tempted, then failing and following "the fallen" (Satan), the slaughter of "the damned" fighting for the Dark Master by one person standing in the way [the second coming?], then of the man being redeemed in the end and turning from Satan:

My soul is my own now
I do not fight for you
Dark Master

The end-all being an exploration with the lose of faith and then regaining and subsequent salvation.

[Then some of their songs just tell stories, and don't really seem to have connotations one way or the other.]

They also frequently talk about faith and salvation and turning from what one has done wrong in the lyrics by former drummer Portnoy. Specifically his alcohol abuse for years (and mentions of drug use as well), and subsequent sobriety and the faith that helped him get there [the Twelve-Step Suite, made up of five songs on five albums].

Petrucci is Catholic, to wit. Myung is open about being Christian. I don't know about Rudess, but he was raised Jewish. And LaBrie has claimed in many interviews to be Christian, but admittedly he does seem to be wary of organized religion if his lyrics are any indication.

Sorry...one of my fav bands, so I have done my research. :D

Upvote 0

BUCKFANDAN

Metalhead in Training
Mar 2, 2007
Tampa, FL USA
Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They tend to approach it from a perspective of theory. For instance, the two part song "In the Presence of Enemies" [lyrics by Petrucci] first talks of a man being tempted, then failing and following "the fallen" (Satan), the slaughter of "the damned" fighting for the Dark Master by one person standing in the way [the second coming?], then of the man being redeemed in the end and turning from Satan:

My soul is my own now
I do not fight for you
Dark Master

The end-all being an exploration with the lose of faith and then regaining and subsequent salvation.

[Then some of their songs just tell stories, and don't really seem to have connotations one way or the other.]

They also frequently talk about faith and salvation and turning from what one has done wrong in the lyrics by former drummer Portnoy. Specifically his alcohol abuse for years (and mentions of drug use as well), and subsequent sobriety and the faith that helped him get there [the Twelve-Step Suite, made up of five songs on five albums].

Petrucci is Catholic, to wit. Myung is open about being Christian. I don't know about Rudess, but he was raised Jewish. And LaBrie has claimed in many interviews to be Christian, but admittedly he does seem to be wary of organized religion if his lyrics are any indication.

Sorry...one of my fav bands, so I have done my research. :D

Nice!! yeah I just have a few of their CDs...I can remember a few songs where he is like "Dark master(of sin?), I will die for you" or one song that sounds like its from the POV of a demon saying "Give yourself up to me" etc.

But its pretty cool to hear some are christian....:)

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nice!! yeah I just have a few of their CDs...I can remember a few songs where he is like "Dark master(of sin?), I will die for you" or one song that sounds like its from the POV of a demon saying "Give yourself up to me" etc.

But its pretty cool to hear some are christian....:)

Yup, that was the song I was talking about!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Decrynox

May 8, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Symphony X's album Paradise Lost seemed pretty satanic to me....although I loved the music!

The album is actually based on the book "Paradise Lost" Which was written by John Milton who was a christian. A large portion of the book is focused on Satan and his psychology, as is the Symphony X album. If you have not read Paradise Lost then I highly encourage it. It has some real thought provoking insights into the reason that God allows evil, and Satan, to exist. The album is more about the conflict between good and evil (God and Satan) than about glorifying Satan. Also, if you watch their music video for "Set the World on Fire", it shows a battle between the angels and demons, and shows the angels win in the end. I am not saying that Symphony X is being christian in any way, but their album is about a classic epic that includes many of Progressive Metal's trademarks.

Upvote 0

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a huge fan of metal and rock, and I want new bands to listen to that aren't too anti-christian.
I love hard rock, power metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, and other things like that.
So my question is kind of two-fold:
One, what bands do you think are appropriate for Christians to listen to and where should I draw the line? For the most part I consider things like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ensiferum, Megadeth, Nightwish, Helloween, etc to be acceptable while in my opinion Deicide, Goatwhore, Marilyn Manson, and Slayer are not.
And two, do you consider these bands satanic/a bad influence?
Accept
Testament
Children of Bodom
Sodom
Candlemass
Finntroll
Death
Vader
White Zombie
Pantera
Sepultura
Nile
Necrophagist
Turisas

Thanks!:)
Check out the bands here:
Metal For Christ

Upvote 0

BUCKFANDAN

Metalhead in Training
Mar 2, 2007
Tampa, FL USA
Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The album is actually based on the book "Paradise Lost" Which was written by John Milton who was a christian. A large portion of the book is focused on Satan and his psychology, as is the Symphony X album. If you have not read Paradise Lost then I highly encourage it. It has some real thought provoking insights into the reason that God allows evil, and Satan, to exist. The album is more about the conflict between good and evil (God and Satan) than about glorifying Satan. Also, if you watch their music video for "Set the World on Fire", it shows a battle between the angels and demons, and shows the angels win in the end. I am not saying that Symphony X is being christian in any way, but their album is about a classic epic that includes many of Progressive Metal's trademarks.

Thats pretty cool! I am going to read the book soon......(I knew i should have read that one in school lol)

Upvote 0
M

Megagog

I'm a huge fan of metal and rock, and I want new bands to listen to that aren't too anti-christian.
I love hard rock, power metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, melodic death metal, and other things like that.
So my question is kind of two-fold:
One, what bands do you think are appropriate for Christians to listen to and where should I draw the line? For the most part I consider things like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Ensiferum, Megadeth, Nightwish, Helloween, etc to be acceptable while in my opinion Deicide, Goatwhore, Marilyn Manson, and Slayer are not.
And two, do you consider these bands satanic/a bad influence?
Accept
Testament
Children of Bodom
Sodom
Candlemass
Finntroll
Death
Vader
White Zombie
Pantera
Sepultura
Nile
Necrophagist
Turisas

Thanks!:)

It's interesting that you note Slayer as non-listenable since Tom Araya is acknowledged by many to be a Christian, whereas Sodom, Nile, and to a lesser extent Pantera have been really antagonistic towards Christianity.

Megadeth is obviously a good band to listen to since Mustaine is an outspoken Christian, and Chuck Billy from Testament is also spiritual though he's more ambiguous.

As a metalhead I appreciate the energy of the music and use it for something that could be redeemable. I enjoy heavy metal, it puts me in a good mood, and that's something I can use to spread positive energy toward others. It also pumps me up and gets me out the door. I think it all depends on how you feel. If there is something discomforting about the bands you're listening to, turn them off. If they're distracting you from the Kingdom, turn them off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ciananm

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok dude be amazed by the power that is MegadetH.

1.MegadetH means the proximity within a nuke that will kill someone which is a very relevent subject to their songs.
2. They are true christians since their album united abominations and maybe before.The united nations are evil.
3.they are anti nwo.
4.Dave mustaine is good freinds with alice cooper another true christian,alice is his godfather.
5.They kick ass.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
They're not all strictly metal... some are actually post-hardcore. But, that genre usually intrigues listeners of metal... And I'm saddened by the suggestions here, especially since almost all Christian music is really quite cheesy and feels fairly contrived to me. He asked for non-satanic metal bands, so I'm gonna recommend you some non-satanic music that's actually GOOD, and MEANINGFUL:

Pianos Become the Teeth - I'll Get By - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7yK1-QbW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mm8ex8Vd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0LgAOI5fJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA72eXHyCpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBEaoNJz1o
etc...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Core90

May 8, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟7,713.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Avenged Sevenfold has Christian themes in some of their songs.
W.A.S.P. was Satanic back in the 80's or so, but their singer, Blackie Lawless, became a Christian, and their latest album is about the book of Revelation.
Alter Bridge
Metallica- James Hetfield did a prayer for the Japanese tsunami victims mid concert.
Underoath
Project 86
Saviour Machine

Upvote 0