Struggling on thoughts of metal music? Read this!

Musicman45

Apr 4, 2016
Canada
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So your a metal fan I take it? Cool! So am I!

Yep, your not alone brother/sister, as humans we love music, it's a pastime, a way to relax and so much more

Anyways lets get to the topic of metal before I start ranting on about other things, as you can tell I am a very big music fan, I play in 3 bands, rock, metal, and Irish.

I'm very diverse in music, I'll give anything a go to widen my spectrum. I'll admit it with pride metal music is my favourite, and it's what got me into playing a variety of instruments, and when I was younger I always asked myself "is metal music bad for my faith?"

The answer to that I believe varies. Let's first understand what makes people think metal music is satanic

Lyrics. Plain and simple. I mean think about it, you can make anything good or bad, in music the lyrics and the intention of the lyrics are the fuel to the beast.

Was music not made by God? God wanted us to have music! And he gave us all unique perspectives which give us different genres of music, any sound can be used to praise God or to send out a message or to be satanic. From experiance in music writing the lyrics are what make the song mean something.

So in terms of metal music, the bands who obviously sing about lucifer and evil doings is probably not good for you, and you will know on your own morals and soul wether or not you should listen to it.

Now I know some of you are saying "but I like the sound of it" and that's perfectly okay! My answer to you is to discover other bands! Genres consist of many bands that don't sing about Satan, but have the same sound! It's not the lyrics you like, it's the instruments and vocal style! Trust me, if you look hard enough you will find bands that appeal to you who aren't satanic. It happened to me too, I like a satanic band, however now with help from the Holy Spirit I try to avoid it, but I searched and found bands who weren't satanic that had that same sound! They weren't Christian, but it wasn't evil content either!

Also I feel that your strength in heart and spirit play a role in the affects of music. Some people are easily tempted and can be affected by lyrics. If you find the lyrics are making you uncomfortable but you like th sound, again search for another band and try to stay away from the evil content. However you may find it doesn't bother you with certain bands, like myself. I listen to slipknot, lamb of god, megadeth etc. Not all of these are satanic but however sometimes the content is not always good. But I find the stronger you are in spirit, and in maturity as well, the better you can perceive these things and not let them affect your mind set or faith.

Honestly this is a topic that branches off to a whole other talk but I might get into that in another post, the question you are asking "is metal bad? Am I bad for listening to it? Should I quit listening to it?" My answer to these are no. The music itself isn't bad, the way the sound is being used for can be however, there is Christian metal, and metal that describes emotion, as well as messages of corruption and bullying and such, it's not all satanic! Musical taste is natural! It's something that just comes to you, and if you like it, that's great for you! But God can turn any sound he wishes into praise, and metal music is included. It's not sinful to listen to metal bands, unless you take the satanic bands whose lyrics are dark, sinful, disturbing, and against God to heart. The sound metal makes is just another form of music that can be formed into anything, rap, country, rock, pop, you name it, it can all be used as a tool of evil or good, and can be used to output several other messages and emotions.

So I hope this helps you, and remember to keep practicing your faith, become stronger, and keep on rocking! If your a metal head, then don't be ashamed, just remember to listen to God, the Holy Spirit, and your angel if you feel that something is getting a grip on you and can potentially turn you away to darkness, listen to them so you can avoid that! If this didn't help I suggest to talk to your local priest! Describe all your thoughts and concerns, he will listen!

Please give me feedback, I gladly accept it, tell me your thoughts, but please be respectful! This isn't meant to be a fight this is meant to help people in their questions involving their faith and life, more generally here to their musical taste, and if you feel you would like to add a comment or debate about something in a friendly manner then it's welcome! God bless you all! Rock on And may God be with you!

P.S if you want to listen to Christian metal, just search Christian metal bands up on google!

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Rock music is of the Devil.

Just kidding, actually. I just had to type that while listening to Bride, Scarecrow Messiah. You're right, though. Intensity is not a thing that makes music bad, but intent is. However, I have seen good lyrics put to bad tunes, which initially sounds contrary to your point. Think of it as tone of voice. What you say can change its meaning by how you say it. It's what usually gets me in trouble on the internet, because in real life I like a lot of facetious hostility, and it comes across as real hostility in this textual world with no tone of voice. I keep forgetting that people can't hear me. If you take any innocent message, you might find you can say it in a way that completely changes its meaning, even with the exact same words, simply by changing how you say it, and I think this point sometimes gets overlooked with Christian metal and Christian hard rock. Heavy tunes are appropriate for heavy lyrics. That style of music is good for subjects of spiritual warfare, conflict, warning, Hell, wrath, etc. It's when they start mixing sanguine themes with hard tunes that the meaning gets a little nutty, and sometimes downright insane.

There's an appropriate approach to anything. The Bible is full of a wide spectrum of feelings, and there's room in Christian theology to accommodate the hardest of tunes. Just remember that it isn't all Hell fire and brimstone. Keep Philippians 4:8 in mind.

Upvote 0