Status
Not open for further replies.

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Since cross-thread quoting people's posts is against the rules, do the following search on Google:

site:christianforums.com "antifa is the moral equivalent of neo-Nazis"
I did, and newsflash... he didn't actually say that! He linked to a news article claiming that, not Rion himself.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I did, and newsflash... he didn't actually say that! He linked to a news article claiming that, not Rion himself.
Hahaha, keep twisting and turning, he then goes onto argue with people that say they are not morally equivalent. Keep spinning! :tutu:

EDIT: I said he posts threads claiming they're morally equivalent... which is true, but besides the point. :wave:

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because people keep excusing them? Go back and look at my first post: Nazis Return to Charlottesville

I asked if he was using scare quotes in regards to Antifa, which lead to @Ringo84 to go off about how awesome Antifa is. My stance is pretty clear. Yeah, a rabid wolf is dangerous, but don't let an equally rabid lion in your house to protect you from it.

Not what I said. What I actually said has been consistent all along: that antifa is what's protecting American cities from Nazis marching down the streets underneath swastika banners. Someone has to protect counterprotestors, because many of us are too busy wringing our hands about the First Amendment rights of Nazis and whether their feelings might get hurt by punching them.

I've been clear with my meaning. It's not my fault if you misunderstand what I've said.
Ringo

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll say that personally, I noticed antifa when they "protested" (and I use that word lightly because they supposedly burned cars and smashed windows) Milo at Berkeley. While I've seen various groups of idiotic white supremacists hold rallies my entire life, it was the first time I remember seeing a group actually show up to impede someone's freedom of speech and celebrate for doing so.

I don't like Milo in the least, nor do I agree with the vast majority of what he has to say, but following Berkeley I saw antifa members give interviews where they happily admitted to stopping someone from speaking because they are against "fascism" without even a tiny sense of the irony in that statement. I was appalled that there was a group going around with the intention of denying people their freedom of speech and justifying it by claiming that person was a fascist (though I'm fairly certain Milo isn't a fascist).

I figured that this would be immediately condemned by both the right and left for being the exact kind of tactics that fascists use and completely against our right to freedom of speech...but it wasn't. The right condemned it...the left kind of gave a half hearted "well...they're only just destroying freedom of speech for people we hate" reply.

Frankly, it saddens me to see people on this thread not only not condemn them...but support them. It's a strong reminder of why I can no longer call myself a liberal until that group manages to regain some sense.

Gee...Nazis were yelling "Jews will not replace us". One ran over Heather Heyer and nineteen others with his car.

But those antifa meanies broke a window in Berkeley and shouted at Milo! They're obviously exactly the same!
Ringo

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
"No, he just posts threads claiming antifa and neo-Nazis are morally equivalent."

Keep shifting goal post.
There is nothing untrue about that statement, but it's still besides the point. A thread about neo-Nazis and people are trying to deflect by trying to make the subject about antifa using whataboutism and false moral equivalence.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Do I have permission to post a link to your thread @Rion?

Knock yourself out. What are you trying to paint me as saying? That being violent extremists is a bad thing? Guilty as charged.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. I just can't understand how you can look at the events of Charlottesville this past August, and your first impulse is deflection by making an issue out of antifa. It says a lot of not-so-good things about American society that we can't even come together to condemn Nazis without whining about the people who oppose them.
Ringo

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
There is nothing untrue about that statement, but it's still besides the point.
You assert it, but you fail to support it which means I can dismiss it.

A thread about neo-Nazis and people are trying to deflect by trying to make the subject about antifa using whataboutism and false moral equivalence.
More like "calling out of other people inconstancy and making excuses regarding it antfia"

• Agree
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Both sides are not the same. Period. End of story. It's not a matter for debate. It's not a question. The longer we engage in whataboutism and "both sides are equally guilty", the longer we fail to deal honestly and healthily with the issues that face this country.

I don't care how you feel about antifa. If you're spending more time whining about them than condemning Nazis, you might as well be defending Nazis in my eyes.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gee...Nazis were yelling "Jews will not replace us". One ran over Heather Heyer and nineteen others with his car.

Yeah...troublesome, but he's being prosecuted.

But those antifa meanies broke a window in Berkeley

...and burned cars. Let's not leave that out. I know you want to downplay political violence, and destruction of property, but then again...it wasn't your car was it?

and shouted at Milo! They're obviously exactly the same!
Ringo

An argument no one is making...although I will say that when it comes to using the tactics of the actual nazi party in Germany, Antifa is far more apt than our neo nazis.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. I just can't understand how you can look at the events of Charlottesville this past August, and your first impulse is deflection by making an issue out of antifa. It says a lot of not-so-good things about American society that we can't even come together to condemn Nazis without whining about the people who oppose them.
Ringo

They don't just oppose nazis though...they oppose anyone they disagree with. Milo as far as I can tell, isn't a nazi...and neither were the students who went to hear him speak. This guy though...

Eric Clanton, charged with rally assaults, criticizes police investigation

Still decided to violently assault people with a bike lock. Now he's upset that he got caught and he's likely going to jail. I'm sure he'll do great in there...he's already a natural at using improvised weapons.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why is it so difficult for people to come together and condemn political violence used to deny people freedom of speech? Who could possibly defend the actions of a bunch of half-brained vigilantes and agree that they get to decide who has freedom of speech and who doesn't?

• Winner
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
White Nationalists Gather at Emancipation Park

These people have some gall going back there after what happened on August 12th. They need to get out and stay out of Charlottesville. I doubt Nazi nonsense (I'd like to use a stronger word than that, but it's against site rules) is very welcome there, for obvious reasons.
Ringo
Do they call for the extermination of all non-whites? Do they plan to implement internment camps for all non-whites? Are they planning to expel from the country all non-whites, regardless if they're legal or illegal? Do they plan on completely disarming the citizenry? I ask these questions because these are the things that come to mind when the term 'Nazi' is used. That's exactly what the Nazis stood for and did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now we're debating about the meaning of the term 'Nazi'? When you use Nazi flags and symbols in your rallies, you...might just be a Nazi. I realize that reality is not all that popular in the Trump era, but there are some things that are hard to deny (if you're debating in good faith, that is).
Ringo

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now we're debating about the meaning of the term 'Nazi'? When you use Nazi flags and symbols in your rallies, you...might just be a Nazi. I realize that reality is not all that popular in the Trump era, but there are some things that are hard to deny (if you're debating in good faith, that is).
Ringo

I think good faith debating was gone when you decided to respond to reasoned arguments with memes and links to what I can only assume were pictures.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think good faith debating was gone when you decided to respond to reasoned arguments with memes and links to what I can only assume were pictures.

They were pictures of neo-Nazis with your posts put up beside them to make you appear to be pro-nazi.

• Informative
Reactions: Audacious
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Now we're debating about the meaning of the term 'Nazi'?

If you're going to use the term "Nazis" in your thread title, you better believe that term is going to be called into question.

When you use Nazi flags and symbols in your rallies, you...might just be a Nazi.

So, were they Swastika flags or Confederate flags flown at your rallies? The Confederate battle flag, (btw, a Southern Democrat flag, battling for the right to own slaves, and exclusive to the US), is completely different from the Nazi flag, flown in Germany and stood for the extermination, encampment and exile of any Jew from the region. You do realize the difference, right?

I realize that reality is not all that popular in the Trump era, but there are some things that are hard to deny (if you're debating in good faith, that is).
Ringo

No debate on this. I am merely asking you for your definition of "Nazi", since you used it in your OP title. The term has become so watered down of late, it has gotten to the point for some that one is either a progressive or a Nazi, with no middle ground and no room for discussion. And reducing it to that level is a true insult and an affront to all who suffered under the true Nazi regime.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They were pictures of neo-Nazis with your posts put up beside them to make you appear to be pro-nazi.

Classy. That's a lot of effort. If he had asked nicely I would've just directed him to a video of BLM protesters getting run over and he wouldn't have had to find so many pics /s.

Good faith debating indeed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.