If Jesus took the punishment for all sinners, why doesn't he go to Hell?

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are his elect, who he uses to usher in the rest of mankind.

Oba 1:19 And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
Oba 1:20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.
Oba 1:21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S.
Please continue reading because Christ goes on to say. I do not pray for them only but for those who will believe in me by their word.

I agree there are only 24 elders but those who have a part in the first resurrection are all those who have believed in him and have already passed from death to life and will not come under condemnation

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please continue reading because Christ goes on to say. I do not pray for them only but for those who will believe in me by their word.

I agree there are only 24 elders but those who have a part in the first resurrection are all those who have believed in him and have already passed from death to life and will not come under condemnation

If God's elect are his first fruits, then what of the rest of the harvest? Why would the be called the first fruits if they are the only fruits?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what judgement is all about. Why would there be one judgment now, but a different one later? The achieve the same thing.
Satan is in the world. Those troubles and trials ARE BECAUSE Satan is in the world.

God isn’t judging us. He isn’t sending the trials and tests of our faith.

But he does, During these “sightings” expect us to remain steadfast in our faith in Christ. REGARDLESS of these trials.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God's elect are his first fruits, then what of the rest of the harvest? Why would the be called the first fruits if they are the only fruits?
These are the Jews and all those who come in at the last hour who WILL suffer for the name during g the trials and tribulations which will come upon the earth in the last hours. This is like the parable of the workers. These will be the last to come in but will be the first fruits. Because they will attain to (as Paul also states somewhere) a better resurrection

Those who have believed have past from death to life but as 1 Corinthian 15 further points out there are levels of “glory” for lack of another word.

Also in revelation there are those referred to as “those who are blessed who died in the lord from now on...That their works will proceed them”.

Their works, sir. Is they remained faithful even when tested to the trials which were to death because “they did not love their lives even to the death but held to”. their testimony.

Of CHRIST

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There are 2 deaths, the first and the 2nd. There are also 2 resurrections.
Rev_20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Rev_20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Joh_5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The resurrection of life is when Jesus comes for the saved. The 2nd is the resurrection of the wicked unto judgement.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

It reminds me of Old Testament scripture, where the Israelites are commanded to give God their first fruits. The first fruits are those that belong to God. God takes the first fruits and leaves the rest. I believe that's how the Christians of earliest Christianity would have understood it, during a time when the Old Testament was their only testament.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you explain what it means where scripture says. “Where their worm will not die”

The word "Gehenna" is for the word "hell." Gehenna was an actual place of burning just outside the walls of Jerusalem (refuse dump). Christ's listeners could see the smoke curling up from the Valley of Gehenna, where dead bodies and garbage were constantly being burned. If anything fell outside the destructive flames, it was quickly consumed by maggots or worms. This provided vivid scenes of utter extinction before their eyes, Jesus used the Gehenna fire as an example of the complete destruction of hell-fire. The fire was never quenched, and the worms were constantly at work upon the bodies-a picture/symbolic of total destruction. Symbolic because it certainly does not continue to burn today.

Gehenna - Wikipedia

Reactions: 7bjoern7
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish we used the actual term Jesus used for what most people identify as "hell." Sure, later it was used interchangeably with Hades/Sheol, which is name of the grave, but what about Gehenna (Gr. Valley of Hinnom)? There is a reason he used that name, it was an analogy.

Given that the scripture we have was written in Greek while Jesus would have spoken to His audience in Aramaic, that Greek scripture puts both Hades and Gehenna into the mouth of Jesus, which means He used the two different concepts in different contexts to denote two different concepts: The grave as a temporary holding place is one concept, and eternal destruction is the other concept. And by "eternal destruction" I'm not personally concerned whether that means "eternally in the process of being destroyed" or "once and done forever destruction"--both seem like bad new to me, with neither being in the slightest way preferable.

Most modern translations seem to use "hellfire" consistently where the Greek used the non-Greek "Gehenna."

Upvote 0

7bjoern7

Mar 5, 2019
Karlsruhe
✟16,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all responses.
There wasn't an answer explaining satisfyingly(to me) explained why Jesus will not suffer in hell for eternity if there is eternal torment for lost souls.

But i got reminded, that Jesus just forgave sins when he was alive. "Your sins are forgiven". How is that possible without him crucified, yet? We even have authority to forgive sins ourselves.
John 20,23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

So there is a whole new aspect of the law system for me that i will dig in. I will trust the spirit more than scripture or men; why not trust men is obvious, why i don't perfectly trust scripture? Because translations might be manipulated. E.g. "Jakob 1,13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God[...]" "Mt6,13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil[...]"
But thats my own journey. The disciples didn't have a new testament, there for it must be optional for salvation.

To sin against an eternal God means eternal punishment made sense to me. However, Jesus would have to suffer eternally then. How is it possible for anyone to become happy, when you know that somewhere billions suffer immeasurable pain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not left in the grave.
Hades is the word translated as hell in that passage. Jesus describes hades as tormenting fire in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. I’m going to believe what Jesus taught, thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Given that the scripture we have was written in Greek while Jesus would have spoken to His audience in Aramaic, that Greek scripture puts both Hades and Gehenna into the mouth of Jesus, which means He used the two different concepts in different contexts to denote two different concepts: The grave as a temporary holding place is one concept, and eternal destruction is the other concept. And by "eternal destruction" I'm not personally concerned whether that means "eternally in the process of being destroyed" or "once and done forever destruction"--both seem like bad new to me, with neither being in the slightest way preferable.

Most modern translations seem to use "hellfire" consistently where the Greek used the non-Greek "Gehenna."

I agree, they are two different concepts. However, older translations will place "hell" where it should be properly the "grave," since they were terms used interchangeably in the past. That is annoying. "Jesus descended to hell" in the creeds should be rendered "grave," that's how I've understood it, because that was what was meant.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for all responses.
There wasn't an answer explaining satisfyingly(to me) explained why Jesus will not suffer in hell for eternity if there is eternal torment for lost souls.

Well, you have to remember that Jesus isn't your pal Joe down the street; he's God incarnate. This means that his blood has infinite value, exceeding what you could ever offer to God if you were pure. Since he was perfectly God and perfectly man, he was able to satisfy the legal demands of the law in full measure without having to suffer the same duration as us. Jesus is different than me and you.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But not all men accept the preaching of the cross. Therefore not all have passed from death to life. That’s why Jesus says for judgement I have come. Because not all have heard and believed the voice of God

Some have

But not all
What you write is true, but only partially true. I was taught the same in seminary and as a result believed for a long time that only some believe and the vast majority of humankind will not believe and thus remain unsaved for eternity suffering torment in the lake of fire forever. With such devastating consequences, one must ask is that really true? Does Scripture itself really teach that? After all, since the gospel is the Good News how can the Good News be the good news when in fact the majority of humankind end up in the lake of fire? Wouldn't that in actuality then make the gospel the bad news?

Those persons in this life who do not genuinely trust and obey Jesus as their Savior end up in the lake of fire but they do not stay there forever. Those who do not apply the preaching of the cross to take up their crosses to follow Him and thus die to themselves in this life (first death) will be forced to die to themselves in the lake of fire (second death) having to experience the chastening fires of hell before eventually becoming reconciled to God.

God's stated purpose for his creation is found in Col 1:20 "and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross."
The eternal punishment model of hell does not align itself with this scripture since those in the lake of fire are tormented forever and are never reconciled with God. Since scripture cannot contradict scripture it then appears that something is amiss here. For a more detailed explanation, see my post #105 if you wish and if you have more questions I will try to answer.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It reminds me of Old Testament scripture, where the Israelites are commanded to give God their first fruits. The first fruits are those that belong to God. God takes the first fruits and leaves the rest. I believe that's how the Christians of earliest Christianity would have understood it, during a time when the Old Testament was their only testament.

Well, it should remind you of that, because that's what it's talking about. Show me a farmer that keeps only the first fruits, and throws the rest away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These are the Jews and all those who come in at the last hour who WILL suffer for the name during g the trials and tribulations which will come upon the earth in the last hours. This is like the parable of the workers. These will be the last to come in but will be the first fruits. Because they will attain to (as Paul also states somewhere) a better resurrection

Those who have believed have past from death to life but as 1 Corinthian 15 further points out there are levels of “glory” for lack of another word.

Also in revelation there are those referred to as “those who are blessed who died in the lord from now on...That their works will proceed them”.

Their works, sir. Is they remained faithful even when tested to the trials which were to death because “they did not love their lives even to the death but held to”. their testimony.

Of CHRIST

The Jews are God's elect, not the physical Jews, but those who are true Jews, ie, those who are Jews in spirit.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hades is the word translated as hell in that passage. Jesus describes hades as tormenting fire in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. I’m going to believe what Jesus taught, thanks.

Brother, what about Revelation 20:14?

Do you see Hades as a intermediate place between death and the resurrection, or do you have an alternative view of the lake of fire?

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

This is a serious question. Im questioning everything at the moment, maybe its just a crisis, maybe the Holy Spirit is guiding me, because i pray to be led in all truth and to see all lies...

If Jesus took my punishment - hell for eternity - why then got he resurrected to sit on the throne? Even tho he was without sin... if he takes my punishment it must be the same punishment or not?

The old testament says that the punishment for sin is death. "If you eat from the tree of knowledge, you must die", not "you must go to hell".

I mean... Jesus took a lot of damage and pain for us. But what is that compared for one person being burned alive for eternity?

Please don't answer to just trust that all this is just rightous, and Iam too human to comprehend it. There is too much deception going on and Im no longer willing to accept anything blindly.

Jesus didn't take your punishment. That's a doctrine that came out of the Reformation. Jesus died for sins as a Ransom. The Scriptures say that the wages of sin is death and that's what the man gets, death. The doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment, or burning in hell for eternity is NOT what the Scriptures teach. This is a doctrine that has morphed over time. The Scriptures teach that when a man dies, he is dead. He remains dead until the resurrection. At the judgment he will either receive eternal life or be cast into the Lake of Fire and burned up. He dies.

• Agree
Reactions: 7bjoern7
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
of course they aren’t just physically Jewish

Can I ask you where you place the believing church during the beginning or mid point of the period of tribulation

Do you believe in the rapture?

And as well, the rebuilding (by the physical Jews) of the temple.
The Jews are God's elect, not the physical Jews, but those who are true Jews, ie, those who are Jews in spirit.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I ask this is because the elect, those coming in at the last hour, are those who will believe during the time “when He who holds all things back is taken out of the way”.

The church will be gone, many martyred, and what will be left to harvest will be many physical Jews who will either turn to Christ (at the last hour) and be saved or not and will be lost

Those whom God will put a mark on just prior to judgement being poured out upon the earth are the elect

That judgement will come because HE who holds all things back will no longer hold things back

Then Satan and evil will have full reign

Those whom GOD has marked will understand

Those who aren’t marked, won’t

The elect will be those who come in at the last hour and during the last half of the time of tribulation

Last edited:
Upvote 0