Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

• I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Evolution has nothing has nothing to do with atheism.

Umm,.. actually they go together a lot. Most people either believe in one or the other but I just happen to believe in a bit of both. When you ask a question whether or not evolution teaching makes people on here feel uncomfortable they're going to start talking about their beliefs because it goes with the question.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Can you explain the first part

What do you need explained? Can you be more specific?

and they sure act like it's forbidden. Most schools don't have religion as an elective even though I do believe my middle school did but not high school.

Per the U.S. Constitution, the government cannot specifically endorse religion. This is why you can't have school-led prayers in public schools.

However, that doesn't prevent children from praying on their own.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Umm,.. actually they go together a lot. Most people either believe in one or the other but I just happen to believe in a bit of both. When you ask a question whether or not evolution teaching makes people on here feel uncomfortable they're going to start talking about their beliefs because it goes with the question.

As I said, this is not a thread for a discussion about atheism versus theism. I included the disclaimer in the opening post because invariably someone will start talking about atheism and trying to change the thread topic.

I'll ask that you please redirect any such discussion to a more appropriate forum.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When's the last time you saw a chimpanzee turn into a human being? Btw, sorry I didn't mean to insult your beliefs but I just find that I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.
No worries.

You will never see a chimpanzee turn into a human. It's not how common descent works.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
No worries.

You will never see a chimpanzee turn into a human. It's not how common descent works.

Then I apologize, I must have missed your point because I thought this is what you were saying.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Then I apologize, I must have missed your point because I thought this is what you were saying.

What he means is that modern chimps don't evolve into humans. Rather, modern chimpanzees and modern humans share a common ancestor.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
What he means is that modern chimps don't evolve into humans. Rather, modern chimpanzees and modern humans share a common ancestor.

So then they suddenly just stopped? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :/

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So then they suddenly just stopped? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :/

Evolution hasn't stopped. Evolution is a continuous process that refers to changes in populations of organisms over time. As long as populations of organisms continue to exist and reproduce, they will continue to evolve.

For the branch of primates that eventually became modern chimpanzees, they just evolved differently than we did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Never stopped. You descended from your parents, but you're not your parents. Fast forward this process X2,000,000 years, throw in changes in climate, nutritional availability, geographical migrations, disease, predators and a healthy dose of sexual selection, and you have new species.

Don't beat yourself up about ignorance of ToE, it's not your fault.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For the purpose of this thread, the following definitions apply:

Evolution - Biological evolution as explained by the modern scientific Theory of Evolution.

Evolutionist - One who accepts the modern theory of evolution including common ancestry of life on Earth.

Creationist - One who believes that organisms / populations of organisms were created independently, and that life on Earth does NOT share common ancestry.​

For learning about evolution, this includes credible sources for education on the subject of biological evolution. Learning about evolution does NOT include material published from creationist sources.

Imagine you had to take a university-level course on biological evolution. Consider the material you would need to learn/study in such a course.

Disclaimer: This is not a discussion about atheism versus theism. This thread is not about whether one is a Christian or not.

I think for most people on the board this is a kind of academic area that really does not have any real bearing when it comes to their lives, goals etc.

Unless you are hoping or assuming some eventual atheist agenda from all this, in case it would but by and large whatever happened a few billion whatever years ago probably isn't going to help someone get a job (your average job), a date, improve their home cooking or whatever. And if it does I would say the reverse is much more likely.... especially on issues like dating and mating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think for most people on the board this is a kind of academic area that really does not have any real bearing when it comes to their lives, goals etc.

That's not relevant. The question is simply whether learning about biological evolution makes people uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What I want to know is that if we evolved from monkeys then why isn't it still happening? The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is they teach this ridiculous nonsense in schools but yet if children wish to pray or mention the name of Jesus it's forbidden.

a) It's not nonsense just because you don't understand it.
b) The Constitution says that the government shall not establish any religion. Praying to the Judeo-Christian God in a public school to the exclusion of other religious practices is against the law, as it should be.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
a) It's not nonsense just because you don't understand it.
b) The Constitution says that the government shall not establish any religion. Praying to the Judeo-Christian God in a public school to the exclusion of other religious practices is against the law, as it should be.

Shouldn't it be freedom of religion though? And if you're a Christian then you probably don't believe we came from monkeys either.

No it doesn't.

Oh,.. do you mean a Christian evolutionist?

Upvote 0