• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by pitabread, Jul 27, 2020.

1. I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  3. I am an creationist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. I am an creationist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    For the purpose of this thread, the following definitions apply:

Evolution - Biological evolution as explained by the modern scientific Theory of Evolution.

Evolutionist - One who accepts the modern theory of evolution including common ancestry of life on Earth.

Creationist - One who believes that organisms / populations of organisms were created independently, and that life on Earth does NOT share common ancestry.​

For learning about evolution, this includes credible sources for education on the subject of biological evolution. Learning about evolution does NOT include material published from creationist sources.

Imagine you had to take a university-level course on biological evolution. Consider the material you would need to learn/study in such a course.

Disclaimer: This is not a discussion about atheism versus theism. This is not about whether one is a Christian or not.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pitabread

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Reserved.

3. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+9,872
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    I’ve been worried that my feet might evolve and then I could have issues like needing to buy new socks, or maybe tripping over and things like that. What do you suggest?

4. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+13,858
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Get used to going barefoot.

5. pitabread

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Learn to walk on your hands. Obviously. :p

6. Tom 1

+9,872
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Not so practical on the farm.

7. Tom 1

+9,872
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Aha. Evolution in action eh.

8. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Burn the torch!

+5,155
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Reading an actual book on ToE?

9. TenthAveN

TenthAveN New Member

+68
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    The concept of evolution confuses me often. I’m curious to hear the evolutionist response to a few questions.

- why did reptiles (like snakes) and amphibious creatures (alligators), who used to be enormous, become so small? Is it because their prey is smaller?

- If humans descended from apes, why haven’t all apes evolved?

- some animals seem to have no functional differences, so why did certain birds, who live in the same environment (like say, blue jays and cardinals) evolve into different colors and shapes?

That’s only a few questions I have.

10. pitabread

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Changes in size of organisms appears to be the result of environmental changes. This can include changes to climate, oxygen levels, etc.

Evolution isn't a ladder. All living organisms are equally evolved.

In the case of humans, we are descended from earlier populations of primates that happen to branch off any evolve differently than other populations of primates.

The evolution of things like colors in birds appears to be the result of sexual selection: Sexual selection in birds - Wikipedia

11. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,813
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    When I was a teenager, I would have chosen option 3; studying evolution (and certain parts of geology and astronomy) made me very uncomfortable. It's now several decades later, and I've chosen option 2, so you can see how I resolved my cognitive distress. :)

12. Rose2020

Rose2020 A Real Scottie Hottie ;)

+733
    United States
    Methodist
    Engaged
    I didn't know which way to vote since I don't believe that humans evolved from monkeys,.. but I do believe that Adam and Eve looked more like them than we do today. Oh and also I believe that after God created the universe there came a great big bang.

13. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+5,618
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

No, doesn't make me uncomfortable---it does, however, frequently give me the giggles.

14. Rose2020

+733
    United States
    Methodist
    Engaged
    What I want to know is that if we evolved from monkeys then why isn't it still happening? The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is they teach this ridiculous nonsense in schools but yet if children wish to pray or mention the name of Jesus it's forbidden.

15. sesquiterpene

sesquiterpene Member

+208
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    In the not quite a coincidence category: due to the fellow ranting about Colin Patterson's quotemines, I just ordered a copy of his textbook (Evolution), as it's rather old and thus a lot cheaper than current textbooks. I doubt any of the creationist on that thread would be interested in reading any of the things he actually wrote.

16. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Burn the torch!

+5,155
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    What makes you think it's not?

17. Rose2020

+733
    United States
    Methodist
    Engaged

When's the last time you saw a chimpanzee turn into a human being? Btw, sorry I didn't mean to insult your beliefs but I just find that I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

18. pitabread

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Biological evolution is a continuous process. In that respect, everything is still evolving.

Evolution is NOT a ladder. IOW, there isn't a preset path by which organisms evolve.

In the case of humans, we just happened to evolve from earlier populations of primates that branched out and evolved into the humans we are today.

It's not forbidden for children to pray or mention Jesus in schools.

19. pitabread

+10,248
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Evolution has nothing has nothing to do with atheism.

Please note the disclaimer in the OP:

If you wish to have a debate about atheism versus theism, please take in to the appropriate sub-forum.

20. Rose2020

+733
    United States
    Methodist
    Engaged

Can you explain the first part and they sure act like it's forbidden. Most schools don't have religion as an elective even though I do believe my middle school did but not high school.