Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

• I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't understand how because it states that life was created without the existence of God.

Where does it state that? I don't know anywhere that it says that life was created without the existence of God, merely that life forms change (evolve) over time. That is obvious with even the most cursory examination.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Where does it state that? I don't know anywhere that it says that life was created without the existence of God, merely that life forms change (evolve) over time. That is obvious with even the most cursory examination.

Usually when one hears the term evolutionist that means that they don't believe in God. Usually being the keyword here as there are plenty of Christian scientists out there and I already stated that I believe that Christianity and evolution can coexist.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Shouldn't it be freedom of religion though? And if you're a Christian then you probably don't believe we came from monkeys either.

Oh,.. do you mean a Christian evolutionist?

That's a mixed post if I've ever read one...

Freedom of religion applies to all religions. Nobody is saying that you can't practice Christianity or Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Taoism or ... You just can't force it on other people, as it should be.

Your second sentence makes no sense. There is no conflict between Christianity and science.

Reactions: bhillyard
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
But this is not what makes sense to the people who actually study biology.

You would be surprised how many Christian scientists are out there. I do believe that Albert Einstein was one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Usually when one hears the term evolutionist that means that they don't believe in God

The only people who usually claim that are creationists. There are many creationists that seem to believe that evolution and Christianity are incompatible. Thus, they'll often accuse such Christians that accept both of not being real Christians.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
That's a mixed post if I've ever read one...

Freedom of religion applies to all religions. Nobody is saying that you can't practice Christianity or Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Taoism or ... You just can't force it on other people, as it should be.

Your second sentence makes no sense. There is no conflict between Christianity and science.

Yes, it shouldn't be forced I agree with that part, but it shouldn't be against the law to practice it either. And I'm not saying there is a conflict (at least with most of it) but most people either follow religion or follow science.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh,.. do you mean a Christian evolutionist?

Sort of, yes.

Many Christians accept evolution. Most Christian denominations officially accept it.

I should also note that the origin of life itself isn't technically part of the modern Theory of Evolution, though it does get discussed a lot. But the current Theory of Evolution is about how populations of organisms change over time, regardless of where the first life came from.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You would be surprised how many Christian scientists are out there. I do believe that Albert Einstein was one of them.
There are a lot of people of faith the world over who are scientists and all unequivocally accept ToE. There are a lot of people named "Steve" who all accept ToE, too.

Einstein was a secular Jew who was agnostic at least and atheist at most. So what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
The fact that you don't understand ToE is blatant to all here who do. If all you listen to are comics and creationists, you'll never understand ToE.

I can't help that I have special needs and no need to be rude about it.

The only people who usually claim that are creationists. There are many creationists that seem to believe that evolution and Christianity are incompatible. Thus, they'll often accuse such Christians that accept both of not being real Christians.

That's something that I can actually agree with.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it shouldn't be forced I agree with that part, but it shouldn't be against the law to practice it either. And I'm not saying there is a conflict (at least with most of it) but most people either follow religion or follow science.

1) It is not against the law to practice one's religion. It is against the law to force others to practice any religion against their will. As it should be.

2) The statement that "most people either follow religion or follow science." is simply not true.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
1) It is not against the law to practice one's religion. It is against the law to force others to practice any religion against their will. As it should be.

2) The statement that "most people either follow religion or follow science." is simply not true.

Agreed with the first statement, but with the second one it just seems like for most Christians they just don't have open minds to accept that both could possibly be true. Please don't take that the wrong way anybody, it's just that a lot of Christians I met are like that and I'm not saying anybody on here is like that.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can't help that I have special needs and no need to be rude about it.
I agree, just because you have special needs does not excuse your behavior. There are many here who are happy to help you understand ToE. Just be polite and you might be surprised.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree, just because you have special needs does not excuse your behavior. There are many here who are happy to help you understand ToE. Just be polite and you might be surprised.

Well I apologize if I sounded rude because that was not my intention. I just want to know what that means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are a lot of people of faith the world over who are scientists and all unequivocally accept ToE. There are a lot of people named "Steve" who all accept ToE, too.

Einstein was a secular Jew who was agnostic at least and atheist at most. So what?

Einstein was pantheist actually.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain the first part and they sure act like it's forbidden. Most schools don't have religion as an elective even though I do believe my middle school did but not high school.
It's forbidden for the teacher or other school official to lead a prayer or religious instruction. A student's personal right to pray or study a religious text is not interfered with, so long as it is not disruptive of classwork and student religious clubs may meet and use school facilities on the same basis as other student clubs.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
It's forbidden for the teacher or other school official to lead a prayer or religious instruction. A student's personal right to pray or study a religious text is not interfered with, so long as it is not disruptive of classwork and student religious clubs may meet and use school facilities on the same basis as other student clubs.

Yeah, but in my middle school you could take religion as an elective.

Upvote 0