Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

Does learning about evolution make you uncomfortable?

• I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I am an evolutionist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution makes me uncomfortable.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am an creationist and learning about evolution does NOT make me uncomfortable.

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proto-monkey works better, I think. Since it's a phrase that means it is a monkey, but is also the first group of monkeys, sort of.
Although I still maintain we should accept we're lemurs and go around bouncing sideways.

hehe true :> There is just this bizzare fixation on modern names that bothrs me in phylogeny like I said.

Like if dogs ever evolved into a insect bird like creature, it still be a dog, rather then what what ever chitenous mammals would be called.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
hehe true :> There is just this bizzare fixation on modern names that bothrs me in phylogeny like I said.

Like if dogs ever evolved into a insect bird like creature, it still be a dog, rather then what what ever chitenous mammals would be called.

A dogapede!
A dant!

Although, as someone who likes to write and very often struggles with coming up with names, many times it's just easier to use what we already have instead of wholly creating new names.
... lemonkey.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
though I would be curious if wolves can mate with coyotes, and foxes and such.
Coyotes definitely... they had a problem with trying to re-introduce wolves into areas was that rather then staying in the little pack/family groups they had been artificially put into many of them went off and joined coyote packs. End result, no wolves and bigger coyotes.

Proto-monkey works better, I think. Since it's a phrase that means it is a monkey, but is also the first group of monkeys, sort of.
Although I still maintain we should accept we're lemurs and go around bouncing sideways.
Meh. If you saw one in a zoo you'd call it a monkey.

The ancestor of lemurs and monkeys would probably look pretty lemur-y to our human centric eyes... but there are too many outward similarities that we define as "monkey" between old and new world monkeys to not assume they were a part of the ancestral common population.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Meh. If you saw one in a zoo you'd call it a monkey.

The ancestor of lemurs and monkeys would probably look pretty lemur-y to our human centric eyes... but there are too many outward similarities that we define as "monkey" between old and new world monkeys to not assume they were a part of the ancestral common population.

... I'm still preferring the lemur connection.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
All mammals end up as some kind of hedge-hog/rat type critter if you go back far enough.

... I did want to make a joke about this (since I'm unfortunately in that sort of mood right now) but I got nothing.

I would still like to have seen the first transitional species between... well, would it have scales then hair, or would it have gone scales - something else - hair?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... I did want to make a joke about this (since I'm unfortunately in that sort of mood right now) but I got nothing.

I would still like to have seen the first transitional species between... well, would it have scales then hair, or would it have gone scales - something else - hair?

DUUHHh obviously the LCA of all mamals is the naked mole rat!!! ahem :>

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

I'm picturing some kind of Permian fat lizard-rat blob with scaly skin and a furry mohawk along its spine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
though on a serious note, might not be the answer, but I think the LCA of mamals and reptiles were mamal like reptiles or something along those lines.

No yeah, I can imagine. As shemjaza pointed out.

Upvote 0