✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "Latinos Are Black" - 93.1FM WIBC

Believe me when I say that I wanted a better source for this. Unfortunately, the mainstream media seems to have ignored this completely....

During an interview with Telemundo, AOC was asked, “What do you think the Latinx community should do to stop racism among them and among other races?”

“A lot of times I’ll hear people say, ‘OK, this is about Black Lives Matter, what about Latinos?’ and I always say, Latinos are black! We are Afro-Latina, and we run an entire racial spectrum,” Ocasio-Cortez replied.

Emphasis mine. It's true that those from Central American and South American nations can have any shade of skin....

It's nonsense to actually claim Latinos are Black though. I think she's desperate to jump on the victimhood train. Thoughts?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Believe me when I say that I wanted a better source for this. Unfortunately, the mainstream media seems to have ignored this completely....

Emphasis mine. It's true that those from Central American and South American nations can have any shade of skin....

It's nonsense to actually claim Latinos are Black though. I think she's desperate to jump on the victimhood train. Thoughts?
I guess she thinks that the Black gangs and the Latino gangs send each other Christmas cards. She seems to know very little about what she is talking about almost all the time.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it’s a slight misunderstanding. I don’t believe, though I could be wrong, she isn’t saying all Latinos are black but that there are Afro Latinos. That is a thing. Descendants from African slaves that were brought to Latin American countries and mixed with the Hispanic population.

To be fair though, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone is trying to make the argument that Latinos are somehow all black but I don’t think that was her point.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it’s a slight misunderstanding. I don’t believe, though I could be wrong, she isn’t saying all Latinos are black but that there are Afro Latinos. That is a thing. Descendants from African slaves that were brought to Latin American countries and mixed with the Hispanic population.

To be fair though, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone is trying to make the argument that Latinos are somehow all black but I don’t think that was her point.
That was exactly her point. She was quote mined. This is from the article and has a bit more context:

' "A lot of times I’ll hear people say, ‘OK, this is about Black Lives Matter, what about Latinos?’ and I always say, Latinos are black! We are Afro-Latina, and we run an entire racial spectrum,” Ocasio-Cortez replied.'

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The US Census goes to great lengths to distinguish "black Hispanic" and "white Hispanic" categories.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

This is an important topic for you, isn't it?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was exactly her point. She was quote mined. This is from the article and has a bit more context:

' "A lot of times I’ll hear people say, ‘OK, this is about Black Lives Matter, what about Latinos?’ and I always say, Latinos are black! We are Afro-Latina, and we run an entire racial spectrum,” Ocasio-Cortez replied.'
You people with all your facts and context are just not any fun.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

In AOC's case, it's likely true. Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic have alot of people that are of Afro-Carribean descent.

Also, Hispanic is an ethnicity and not a race. There are all sorts of races that are hispanic, including white.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The US Census goes to great lengths to distinguish "black Hispanic" and "white Hispanic" categories.

It doesn't make that distinction, in fact. "Non-hispanic Black" refers to blacks that are not Hispanic, not to Afro-Carribeans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To further complicate things, you also have Afro Latinos who aren’t Hispanic like is the case with blacks from Brazil. Brazil is considered a Latin American country because it’s well, located in Latin America, but they aren’t Hispanics as their primary language is Portuguese, not Spanish.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Her comments may have been overlooked, but we can count on you to catch it -- am I right? There seems to be an ongoing theme with your threads.

In any case, I would venture to guess that many Latinos do have African DNA. My wife, who appears to be Mestizo (Spanish - Native American mix) has in fact - 15% of her DNA from African relatives.

Given the colonial history of Latin America, this should not be surprising at all...

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her comments may have been overlooked, but we can count on you to catch it -- am I right? There seems to be an ongoing theme with your threads.

In any case, I would venture to guess that many Latinos do have African DNA. My wife, who appears to be Mestizo (Spanish - Native American mix) has in fact - 15% of her DNA from African relatives.

Given the colonial history of Latin America, this should not be surprising at all...
Even Whitey Whites like me have a trace of African DNA.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even Whitey Whites like me have a trace of African DNA.

...yep, I have a good dose of Neanderthal too.

As fyi, my genetic profile on the left - my hispanic spouse on the right (she's far more interesting : )

upload_2020-7-15_8-58-11.png

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...yep, I have a good dose of Neanderthal too.

As fyi, my genetic profile on the left - my hispanic spouse on the right (she's far more interesting : )

View attachment 280988
I only thought I was White. But you are so White, you outshine the sun!

• Haha
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If it's all about skin color I'm darker than some blacks I know during the summer. I'm white by the way. The sun is trying to make us all the same.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

She wasn't quote minded. I provided the question that she was responding to.

That's the exact same quote I used in the OP.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, that is how I took it. Not really an issue.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She wasn't quote minded. I provided the question that she was responding to.

That's the exact same quote I used in the OP.

And that makes AOC spot on 100% correct. There are a wide variety of "races" that fall under the Latinx ethnicity.

This thread was enjoyable and I really learned a lot. Thanks for helping us see AOC make a clearly reasoned, rational correct comment!

AOC for the win!

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0