Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
While it might be easy to point the finger at the black community for its out of wedlock birthrate, this might have more to do with poverty than race:
Data revealed a significant link between income and out-of-wedlock births. Of women making less than $10,000 who gave birth in the previous year, 68.9 percent were not married. That statistic dropped progressively going up the household income ladder, with a 9 percent rate for households earning more than $200,000 a year.
https://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/articles/2013/05/06/census-bureau-links-poverty-with-out-of-wedlock-births

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Voddie Baucham would contend that, while all races are equal in the eyes of God, it's an affront to God to pretend that races don't exist:

Please keep in mind that Dr. Baucham isn't exactly a fan of critical race theory, to say the least.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
fd258c74afdb1c80cb9b433987b6288ed37f97ab.jpg

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The high rate of religiosity among African Americans says nothing positive about that segment of society, it's completely value neutral as far as I'm concerned. Dysfunctional, broken people are often attracted to salvationist religions, after all, and not always for the better because of it. If anything, the high rate of religiosity of the fundamentalist sort might account for the higher rates of crimes against LGBT persons committed by African Americans and Latinos.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Because we have a broken, dysfunctional culture, the entrails of white American culture...what I call "chit'lin' culture." It's the culture we were given as slaves to replace our native African cultures, but we could enjoy only part of white American culture, not its full measure.

Chit'lin' culture always been dysfunctional because it was never intended to be functional and self-affirming for black people, but rather intended to keep us easy to exploit. Over the last 60 years I've been in it, it's growing worse at an exponential rate.

Part of that dysfunctional culture that black people have inherited from whites is fundamentalist religion, which has a poor track record at actually helping anybody enjoy material success.

You can call it white American culture, but its the most successful culture.

Go to Appalachia and the Ozarks, look at the white culture there, and tell me again how "white culture" is successful? Those regions have the same "hand me down" culture that @RDKirk is talking about.

Black or white, the way a people find well-being in life is by challenging dysfunctional cultural norms.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of that dysfunctional culture that black people have inherited from whites is fundamentalist religion, which has a poor track record at actually helping anybody enjoy material success.

Go to Appalachia and the Ozarks, look at the white culture there, and tell me again how "white culture" is successful? Those regions have the same "hand me down" culture that @RDKirk is talking about.

Black or white, the way a people find well-being in life is by challenging dysfunctional cultural norms.

White American culture is functional and successful...wildly so.

But Christianity in America was twisted into something evil to make it support slavery, wringing Jesus right out of it. Religiosity in the name of Jesus--but without Jesus--manifests evil in a myriad of ways. The religiosity that allowed a lynching on a Saturday night with no recrimination that next Sunday morning is without Jesus. The religiosity that champions government capital punishment while protesting government charity is without Jesus. The religiosity that abhors abortion but won't support an unwed mother is without Jesus.

And, yeah, that twisted "Christian" religiosity is what the slaves and their descendants got in our chit'lin' culture. Malcolm X pointed that out to us. But while i know that Jesus is real, I'm also able to realize that the system of religiosity that was second-handed to us in America is not the only way to follow Christ.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟355,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christianity is not about material success, but rather, is faith in Lord Jesus demonstrated by a sanctified life in righteousness and love.

Once a person sheds or dies to the animalistic selfish ambitions that focus on "me" at the expense of others, only then does life really begin - a new life of love and righteousness.

The Appalachian area has been poor for a long time, and that area is mostly white. Nearly one-third of young adults ages 18 to 24 were in poverty in rural Appalachia in 2014-2018.

The average unemployment rate:

• The Appalachian average is 4.8%.
  • The U.S. average is 4.4%.
  • The Black American reported unemployment rate in 2019 was 5.4%. In 2020, the rate was over 11%, mostly due to the Coronovirus situation.
So, its not like the Appalachians are sitting around doing nothing, as most of them do work for a living. There is nothing wrong with being poor.

The white people choose to live there, not because they feel deprived, or unable to succeed, but because they like their life, and the crime rate is extremely low there. There is nothing wrong with being poor. The Appalachian area is a community that lives as if they are in their own little country far removed from most of civilization.

The poverty rate in Appalachia (15.2%) is less than 2% higher than the national poverty rate at 13.4%, so its not like the whole of Appalachia lives in poverty.
About the Appalachian Region - Appalachian Regional Commission

Compare the Appalachia rate of 15.2% with that of the national average rate of poverty for native born Black Americans at: 25.1%
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia

What is wrong is when those who are poor blame others for all their problems, and then heartlessly take out their bitterness by committing violent acts against others just to feed their own passions.

Unlike the Black American poor, the crime rate among the Appalachian poor is far less than even the national average.

"There's a great deal of drug use, welfare fraud, and the like, but the overall crime rate throughout Appalachia is about two thirds the national average, and the rate of violent crime is half the national average."
https://theweek.com/articles/452321/appalachia-big-white-ghetto

And crime among Black Americans is astronomically higher in comparison to white communities:

Black overall in 2020: 125 violent crimes per 100k residents
White overall in 2020: 28 violent crimes per 100k residents.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/local/public-safety/crime-rate-coronavirus/

So Appalachia is a very safe place to live. Why leave an area you feel safe in?

Even regarding murder rates:

You are 968 times more likely to be murdered in the US at large than on the Appalachian Trail.
Examining the Real Numbers Behind Violent Instances on the Appalachian Trail - The Trek

Now consider that Black Americans make up only 14% of the US population, but over half the homicides in the entire USA in the past 10 years were committed by Black Americans
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-29/race-and-homicide-in-america-by-the-numbers

As well, Appalachian families frequently have two parents and low abortion rates, unlike Black American families, of which over 61% are single parent homes with children. I ask myself, why is that the case?

So, although the Appalachian area is poor, this is a far safer area to live than most of the USA and is a community.

So being poor is not necessarily the cause of crime; rather, its the kind of people who are poor. And the kind of people who are poor, among Black Americans, are being brainwashed by their own kind into believing American is the enemy racist, and the Black American is a continual victim, unable to succeed.

What I see that is preventing Black Americans from succeeding are those other Black Americans continually feeding propaganda to their own kind that:
  • Racist government is preventing you from succeeding.
  • You are a victim, unable to change, because of past racism that occurred over 50 years ago.
  • US Government is not giving enough to help Black Americans succeed.
  • The US is racist, and so, the Black American can never succeed.
All these arguments are myths promoted by some Black Americans to instill in, and to ensure that, Black American continue to live defeated lives in a country that, in reality, is providing Black Americans every opportunity possible to succeed and make a good life for themselves.

• Winner
Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is actually a compliment to fundamentalists. The goal is not material success. The goal is to be conformed to the image of Christ. Last I checked, Jesus wasn’t running around stacking Benjamins. Joseph called Egypt the land of his affliction even though he was second in command to the most powerful man on earth. As for the crime rate etc. well that has everything to do with social construction rather than religiousness.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-21_19-16-12.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-21_19-16-12.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Quit with racism.

No they are not. I would say the Amish, Mennonites, or some other group is much more religious than blacks.

And when did black become an ethnic group? You think Australians are the same ethnicity as Africans?

All lives matter

Upvote 0