Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World His

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,598.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World History

I have taken excerpts of the article in the quote area below. After that I share the meltdown at the Washington Post that ultimately results in the termination of an unhinged employee. Everything kind of comes down to this:

“Maybe I can’t end racism by myself, but I can get my manager fired, or I can get so and so removed, or I can hold somebody accountable,” one former executive director said. “People found power where they could, and often that’s where you work, sometimes where you live, or where you study, but someplace close to home.”

During the first week of June 2020, teams of workers and their managers came together across the country to share how they were responding to the murder of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis and to chart out what — if anything — their own company or nonprofit could do to contribute toward the reckoning with racial injustice that was rapidly taking shape.

On June 2, one such huddle was organized by the Washington, D.C., office of the Guttmacher Institute, the abortion rights movement’s premier research organization.

Heather Boonstra, vice president of public policy, began by asking how people were “finding equilibrium” — one of the details we know because it was later shared by staff with Prism, an outlet that covers social justice advocacy and the impacts of injustice.

She talked about the role systemic racism plays in society and the ways that Guttmacher’s work could counter it. Staff suggestions, though, turned inward, Prism reported, “including loosening deadlines and implementing more proactive and explicit policies for leave without penalty.” Staffers suggested additional racial equity trainings, noting that a previous facilitator had said that the last round had not included sufficient time “to cover everything.” With no Black staff in the D.C. unit, it was suggested that “Guttmacher do something tangible for Black employees in other divisions.”

The belief was widespread. In the eyes of group leaders dealing with similar moments, staff were ignoring the mission and focusing only on themselves, using a moment of public awakening to smuggle through standard grievances cloaked in the language of social justice. Often, as was the case at Guttmacher, they played into the very dynamics they were fighting against, directing their complaints at leaders of color. Guttmacher was run at the time, and still is today, by an Afro Latina woman, Dr. Herminia Palacio. “The most zealous ones at my organization when it comes to race are white,” said one Black executive director at a different organization, asking for anonymity so as not to provoke a response from that staff.
These starkly divergent views would produce dramatic schisms throughout the progressive world in the coming year. At Guttmacher, this process would rip the organization apart. Boonstra, unlike many managers at the time, didn’t sugarcoat how she felt about the staff’s response to the killing.

That the institute has spent the course of the Biden administration paralyzed makes it typical of not just the abortion rights community — Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, and other reproductive health organizations had similarly been locked in knock-down, drag-out fights between competing factions of their organizations, most often breaking down along staff-versus-management lines. It’s also true of the progressive advocacy space across the board, which has, more or less, effectively ceased to function. The Sierra Club, Demos, the American Civil Liberties Union, Color of Change, the Movement for Black Lives, Human Rights Campaign, Time’s Up, the Sunrise Movement, and many other organizations have seen wrenching and debilitating turmoil in the past couple years.

In fact, it’s hard to find a Washington-based progressive organization that hasn’t been in tumult, or isn’t currently in tumult....

“So much energy has been devoted to the internal strife and internal [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] that it’s had a real impact on the ability for groups to deliver,” said one organization leader who departed his position. “It’s been huge, particularly over the last year and a half or so, the ability for groups to focus on their mission, whether it’s reproductive justice, or jobs, or fighting climate change.”

“Most people thought that their worst critics were their competitors, and they’re finding out that their worst critics are on their own payroll,”

For years, recruiting young people into the movement felt like a win-win, he said: new energy for the movement and the chance to give a person a lease on a newly liberated life, dedicated to the pursuit of justice. But that’s no longer the case. “I got to a point like three years ago where I had a crisis of faith, like, I don’t even know, most of these spaces on the left are just not — they’re not healthy. Like all these people are just not — they’re not doing well,” he said. “The dynamic, the toxic dynamic of whatever you want to call it — callout culture, cancel culture, whatever — is creating this really intense thing, and no one is able to acknowledge it, no one’s able to talk about it, no one’s able to say how bad it is.”

Sooner or later, each interview for this story landed on the election of Trump in 2016 as a catalyst. Whatever internal tension had been pulling at the seams of organizations in the years prior, Trump’s shock victory sharpened the focus of activists and regular people alike. ...

At the ACLU, as at many organizations, the controversy quickly evolved to include charges that senior leaders were hostile to staff from marginalized communities. Each accusation is unique; some have obvious merit, while others don’t withstand scrutiny. What emerges by zooming out is the striking similarity of their trajectories. One foundation official who has funded many of the groups entangled in turmoil said that having a panoramic view allowed her to see those common threads. “It’s the kind of thing that looks very context-specific, until you see a larger pattern,” she said.

... “Maybe I can’t end racism by myself, but I can get my manager fired, or I can get so and so removed, or I can hold somebody accountable,” one former executive director said. “People found power where they could, and often that’s where you work, sometimes where you live, or where you study, but someplace close to home.”

It’s become hard to hire leaders of unmanageable organizations. A recent article in the Chronicle of Philanthropy noted that nonprofits were having an extraordinarily hard time finding new leaders amid unprecedented levels of departures among senior officials. “We’ve been around for 26 years, and I haven’t seen anything like this,” Gayle Brandel, CEO of PNP Staffing Group, a nonprofit executive search firm, told the trade publication, explaining the difficulty in finding executives to fill the vacancies.

Executive directors across the space said they too have tried to organize their hiring process to filter out the most disruptive potential staff. “I’m now at a point where the first thing I wonder about a job applicant is, ‘How likely is this person to blow up my organization from the inside?’”...

Beyond not producing incentives to function, foundations generally exacerbate the internal turmoil by reflexively siding with staff uprisings and encouraging endless concessions, said multiple executive directors who rely on foundation support. “It happens every time,” said one. “They’re afraid of their own staffs.”

The pushback against callout culture, which might be surprising on a surface level, is bubbling up in Black movement spaces. “In the movement for Black lives, there is a lot of the top leaders saying, ‘This is out of control. No one can be a leader in this culture. It’s not sustainable. ...

The Washington Post meltdown:

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World History

I have taken excerpts of the article in the quote area below. After that I share the meltdown at the Washington Post that ultimately results in the termination of an unhinged employee. Everything kind of comes down to this:

“Maybe I can’t end racism by myself, but I can get my manager fired, or I can get so and so removed, or I can hold somebody accountable,” one former executive director said. “People found power where they could, and often that’s where you work, sometimes where you live, or where you study, but someplace close to home.”

The Washington Post meltdown:

Yeah, that's happening.

There is something called the Iron Law of Bureaucracy, which states that over time, the leadership of any organization will become those who, above all else, work to maintain the existence of the organization.

At first that sounds like a bad thing, but it's not a bad thing as long as the rank-and-file members are still effective at the basic mission of the organization. If the organization is still effective in its mission, then the efforts of leadership to preserve the organization is a good thing.

There is a problem in the organization when its members forget that they don't have individual missions, but actually have only their own fragment of the organization's mission.

It can happen in a military organization when the leader says, "Our mission is to fight the enemy on Beta Hill five miles away." But then one soldier says, "My mission is to kill the enemy, and there is enemy on Alpha Hill only two miles away, so I'm going to Alpha Hill!" and then that soldier complains his leadership does not support him when he takes off for Alpha Hill. Or worse, that soldier gets into fights with other soldiers who don't take off for Alpha Hill with him.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,598.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's happening.

There is something called the Iron Law of Bureaucracy, which states that over time, the leadership of any organization will become those who, above all else, work to maintain the existence of the organization.

At first that sounds like a bad thing, but it's not a bad thing as long as the rank-and-file members are still effective at the basic mission of the organization. If the organization is still effective in its mission, then the efforts of leadership to preserve the organization is a good thing.

There is a problem in the organization when its members forget that they don't have individual missions, but actually have only their own fragment of the organization's mission.

It can happen in a military organization when the leader says, "Our mission is to fight the enemy on Beta Hill five miles away." But then one soldier says, "My mission is to kill the enemy, and there is enemy on Alpha Hill only two miles away, so I'm going to Alpha Hill!" and then that soldier complains his leadership does not support him when he takes off for Alpha Hill. Or worse, that soldier gets into fights with other soldiers who don't take off for Alpha Hill with him.

I hadn't heard of the Iran Law of Bureaucracy before. It seems to be saying something like this: Bureaucracies tend to go off the rails naturally when given enough time and stability. Of course, recessions should shake things up but they are pretty heavily suppressed eliminating their benefits.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't heard of the Iran Law of Bureaucracy before. It seems to be saying something like this: Bureaucracies tend to go off the rails naturally when given enough time and stability. Of course, recessions should shake things up but they are pretty heavily suppressed eliminating their benefits.

Well, no. The Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that over time, the leadership of any organization will become those who, above all else, work to maintain the existence of the organization. That's not "off the rails," that is solidly "on the track," sometimes too solidly on that track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,842.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That seems to me almost the opposite of what the OP article is describing. With the Iron Law, people will "go along to get along" to maintain the bureaucracy. Members will tend towards sycophancy, not rebellion.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That seems to me almost the opposite of what the OP article is describing. With the Iron Law, people will "go along to get along" to maintain the bureaucracy. Members will tend towards sycophancy, not rebellion.

Yes, the Iron Law is not the same thing, it explains why people in the bureaucracy work to maintain the organization.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,598.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is another angle on the progressive meltdowns:

The Left Goes to War with Itself - POLITICO

That article leads to this:

Justice or overreach?: As crucial test looms, Big Greens are under fire - POLITICO

Here is the problem:

Indeed, in this new phase of environmentalism, Big Green organizations are extending themselves into labor rights, immigration, housing and democracy reform. Some groups are aiming to stir millions of latent Democratic voters across the country; to defeat state-level voter suppression initiatives; to make the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico states; to end the Senate filibuster and erode structural imbalances favoring red-leaning states.

“Do you end up taking on so much that you become paralyzed?” Henn added. “Can you actually do the longer, deeper work to build a base that will turn out for climate? That is a challenge.”

When Aaron Mair ascended to the board presidency of the Sierra Club, he brought a new mission to the century-old environmental group: Where once it devoted itself solely to conservation issues, now it would embrace a much broader range of social justice causes.

... He took the Sierra Club in an overtly political direction, aligning it with the Democratic Party to create a “green line” of defense, as environmental groups called it, against Republican policies in Congress.

Under Mair and Brune, records show, the Sierra Club funneled its own funds into the groups Black Lives Matter and Showing Up for Racial Justice. In 2017, Brune threw the club’s support behind citizenship for children brought to the country illegally. In June 2021, Sierra Club backed reparations for Black Americans. It changed its definition of environment to the “environmental health of all communities, especially those communities that continue to endure deep trauma resulting from a legacy of colonialism, genocide, land theft, enslavement, racial terror, racial capitalism, structural discrimination, and exclusion.”

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, no. The Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that over time, the leadership of any organization will become those who, above all else, work to maintain the existence of the organization. That's not "off the rails," that is solidly "on the track," sometimes too solidly on that track.

It's also called "institutional inertia". You see that in alot of large religious bodies or churches, denominations like Methodist, Episcopalians, or Catholics, for instance, particularly among those who are called "churchmen", people whose spirituality is principally oriented around the institution, as opposed to something evangelical, charismatic, or mystical. As you said, it's more like the opposite of "going off the rails". It's more like ossification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The reason social justice appeals to people is the fantasy it provides to failures.

A fantasy about taking control, of grabbing power, reshaping processes according to your will.

There is no collective will. It immediately becomes an exercise in tribalistic totalitarianism. Grab a seat at the table with those like you, then demand the removal of all others.....and try to find your way to the top of this new hierarchy.

Because when you were judged by merit....you lost the game. You found out you were average. You didn't want to put in the effort, make the sacrifices, or otherwise do what it would have taken.

The fantasy of social justice says these folks can join up and do better than the previous people....and in the process, your service and faithfulness will be rewarded.

Unfortunately, it's an old game....invented by Marx....and once it grabs power the problem occurs. You don't know what to do with it, never had a plan forward, no clear path or goal. You immediately start failing....and without enemies to blame, you gotta eat those who helped you get there and blame them.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Marxism takes hold in the minds of it's useful idiots by demanding all things be described in dialectical terms. Us and them. The righteous and the evil. The proletariat and burgeouis. Oppressor and oppressed. White and people of color.

It's the same old suicidal dogmatic religious death cult. Be happy they were only robbed by Cullors and her ilk. Sjws were always too cowardly for violent revolution. When the opportunity arose....they turned on their neighbors and the people who serve them.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0