Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It might also help for you to look at some documents.

- The church budget. What is its income, how is it derived, what's the breakdown of expenses?
- The policy by which the salaries are set. Are they benchmarked against average or median wages? Are they performance driven?
- The pastors' job descriptions. What are they responsible for, how many hours are they expected to work?

If those documents aren't available, then the lack of transparency might concern me. But if they are available it might help you to get some perspective on the big picture, and decide whether the way this church does things aligns with your sense of gospel values.

But a salary figure alone probably isn't enough information to go on.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thank you for your reply. I think when I heard that they are making 6 figures I got a root of bitterness in me. They make on the lower end of 6 figures. Even on the lower end that’s almost double what I make in my secular job. I think I have to pray over it and reevaluate some things in my heart. I do think I have to start tithing again because now I’m just using that money for my own selfish desires.

Well whatever you do don't allow bitterness within you. Nothing wrong with YOU evaluating what you're going to do with your increase but keep your spiritual position lovely and strong.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks
The NT never demands "tithing." It specifies "giving" to those in need. It never demands tithing or giving to pay for the monthly salaries of elders/shepherds/pastors. It does however instruct to give to the brethren who have needs. It does instruct to give joyfully. If you can't then don't give as you are not required to do so.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks

I been with a rich church and a poor one. Rich is better. I had to work my [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] off trying to raise money for the poor one all the time. Was struggling with depression at the time and as a new member they gave me chair over the most difficult food item to sell. They said another member who was experience would help and get people who were experienced helping. It was still too much work for a new member. The following year, I recruited another new member to co-chair. There were a lot of these type of work assignments for me. Furthermore, I didn't agree in putting out how the church wasn't doing so well in the newsletter in order to get people to tithe more. What was the last straw wasn't the difficult work so much, but the pastor not having time for my consultations and feeling she didn't have time for my questions. I made several appointments with her, but she always seemed to be in a rush. She always had another appointment to go to for a senior member. People did pass away at this church due to having older senior members. She told me to read Matthew. I found out the hard way what I wanted to know and ended up leaving. I've been fortunate to find a better church where the work isn't so hard, people "volunteer" their time and make more donations.

My point is it depends on what the church does with its money. Is it helping to feed, clothe and shelter the poor and helping people in far away lands? It shouldn't be using the funds since it is a rich church to help the pastor and their family; The pastor makes enough income to support themselves. With the poor church, we donated to help provide free housing for the pastor and her family.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I got a stern lecture on tithing from a pastor after commenting that I am Presbyterian and I have a moth living in my wallet and so I am afraid of opening it too wide just in case it flies out.

Actually my first moth was called Stirling, because when it did get out it whizzed around my light bulb at 250 km per hour! That's why it was called "Stirling Moth!"

It tragically died when a big black spider got into the wallet and saw the moth as lunch. I was alerted by the moth's small desperate voice crying, "Help meeee! Heeeelp meeee!" When I opened my wallet, the spider scuttled out with the moth in its jaws and went up behind the frame of my Venetian blind where I couldn't reach it. So that was the end of my pet moth!

There used to be an elder in my church who used to look at me with a severe face when the offering bag came around and I didn't put anything in it. One morning I told him that next time I would put a photograph of a forged $100 note in the bag. He never worried me again!

That is my view about tithing. I give what the Lord directs, and what I can afford, and not because a church tells me what to give.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want to tithe then give your tithe to a reliable and worthy charity.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
You don't pay them. God pays them by His will through the righteousness of His Son. But most pastors think their will to live a righteous life blesses them.

Upvote 0

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes.

I would say that’s excessive. I would not attend a church where the Pastors make that kind of income. My Pastor makes 50K.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are from Canada I notice. I was surprised that salaries were so high there, in the church, as I thought the whole Mammon worship thing was an American problem.

Also this varies by church. I understand Catholic priests in USA get an average of $33000 a year while those in Ireland are about half that. What priests are paid in Africa is probably a lot lower again. I suppose they often get free housing, free education, expenses paid for , but even so it is clear money is not a motivation at all. Catholic priests also do not have the costs of families and school fees for instance. Some of these big mega churches are completely out of tune with global understandings of the church and its financial structures and responsibilities.

Personally I have a major issue with the whole "running a church like a business model". Yes admin should be efficient and costs responsible but the church is not there to enrich its pastors.

It seems to me that St. Pauls example for instance was that he had a "tent making skill" so that he did not have to rely on parishioners supporting him. His sermons were therefore never bought opinions. Most of the apostles had skills of some sort. Thomas for example was a carpenter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One search committee prayed, "Lord, send us a pastor, poor and humble. You keep him humble, and we'll keep him poor.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know the man in question. That said, ideally a pastor will have a median salary for the area imho. Our parish each year determines the median salary of the area and adjusts his salary accordingly. He isn’t struggling, but isn’t making a bunch of money beyond the average parishioner. In my area, that’s in the mid 5 figures.
I belonged to a church in the 80s somewhere not too far west of the Mississippi. One Saturday at Men's breakfast my pastor was sitting across from me. He said with tears in his eyes "I have never asked for a raise but it is a shame that a pastor has to borrow money to raise this family."
.....I decided then and there no pastor of any church I belong to will ever have to beg for money. Prior to the next business meeting I learned the median salary for that area. It was about double what the pastor was being paid. I think it was $15,750.
.....At the next business meeting I made a motion to raise the pastor's salary. Someone said this should go before the deacon's first. I said the deacons are here if they object let them do so. I informed them of the median salary and I said this is where we start not where we stop. The pastor's salary was increased above the median.
Agreeing with All4Christ the median salary for the area is a good way to gauge the pastor's salary.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get a 6 figure income as well from preaching.
I am always trying to figure out 6 ways from Sunday how I am going to get together the income to pay the next bill.
SIGH!!!!
ah, but this is true for any income level up to quite a lot higher, in that no matter the income, people can find ways to spend it, up to a much higher point. So, it's more about how you spend it. One of the very encouraging things about the ultra rich investor Warren Buffett (long before the very good thing he's doing giving away almost all of the money now) is that over the years he continued to live in the same modest house, even though he had much more income. That says something. Pope Francis had that when he became pope (and may still, I haven't checked), in that he had his little car he wanted to drive for himself, and 2nd that he chose to live in a modest place at the vatican instead of the larger traditional kind of residence there. This is the kind of thing I'd want to see in a pastor -- they are not living much above what is very typical in their place. We cannot serve two masters. When the rich young ruler was told to put God first (in that moment it was to sell everything and literally follow Christ in person), and could not, that's key, but when you think about it, putting God and love for one another first doesn't allow me to live much richer than my average congregants, unless I'm giving quite a lot (not just a small percent) as I go along, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets look at this a different way. But i am still addressing the issue of the OP.

A while back a Christian ministry that I know lost their leader. A tragedy. I told them ... please wait. Give God time. He will raise up a new leader.

What did they do? They put out requests for resumes. They issued a "position to be filled". It was obvious to me that they had not understood a word I said.

Today - Churches and Christian orgs are using business models to make their decisions. I think that the Apostle Paul would be horrified. No-one waits upon the Lord's answer ... they just do what the business model says is the 'correct thing to do'.

The inescapable conclusion is the "God is missing" from processes inside our own churches.

Therefore the post by the OP is not wrong. If pastors are hired according to 6-figure budgets, and their survival is linked to how much the attendance record grows, then how is a "modern church" any different than a football franchise?

Upvote 0

ncc70

Dec 4, 2018
north carolina
✟8,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

you are 100% correct....the same thing happened to me.....a church that large, i could see one pastor in the low 100,000 area...certainly not two.....they are getting rich over the intimidation of the congregants about tithing......tithing has been so mis-used nowadays... it was not meant to strike fear over the people....the tithe was not applicable to the everyday low wage earner in biblical days ...nor is it meant for us today...it was for the captains of war ---the spoils of war---and large land owners and herdsmen back then....not for the factory workers or servants....tithes were paid on the increase of your business, not your salary....but be careful------you may not feel welcome once they find out you are not giving your 10%.....what a joke....this is the aspect of religion that kills.....just keep alive your love for Jesus and for people and give to everyone...and nevermind the false teaching of the 'tithe'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ncc70

Dec 4, 2018
north carolina
✟8,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you consider a secular job....do you consider the salary of the CEO and refuse to work there if it is too much? The job you work now.....If the man at the top made 100k more than you.....would you up and quit because it doesnt seem right?

Do you give tithes to pay salaries or help the pastor, or because you feel is a biblical command?

Im confuse why knowing about someone elses money, would take joy out of doing something for God. And if it does....I would ponder the reasons why we are doing it in the first place.

Is it the one receiving a lot of money who is serving mammon.......or the one who is making decisions based solely on the mention/knowledge of money?

here is the problem-----giving to a pastor is not giving to God, as pastors want you to believe....we have no control what the pastors do with the money....church councils vote on that and they do not want to go against the pastor's wishes...that's a fact..

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The message they preach is what is important, not their income. How is it my business who or how God chooses to bless?

As long as they dont take money from the church that was meant to go elsewhere it is not for me to judge what they do with their money. That is for God to judge them, just as he does each of us by what we choose to to with what He has given to us.

If you dont give 90% of your income to the less fortunate, what gives you the right to judge others that do not as well? Doesnt matter if they make more than you.

Yes, in the eyes of God it is different, but it's the level of faith, not the money. The person that is led to give 99% of their income to help others. (Those led to, not those that put God to the test) it means more because you trust that God will meet your needs rather than putting trust on the money you withhold from helping others.

The act itself remains the same, 90% is 90% regardless of income. Judging others because they dont do what you think they should do, that you yourself do not follow makes you a hypocrite... a modern day Pharisee.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the understandings that came out of the reformation was the abuses of those that were supposedly in charge of the church. The church had become a big business and those at the top had a vested interest in keeping things the same . This was ironically enough the same issue that Jesus encountered at the temple . It was Jewish law that sacrifices were to be made so someone had to sell the pigeons , the sheep and to exchange the money but religion was never to become a "profession ". We are all ministers of Christ or we are not . Attending a service is not worship nor service to God and preaching a theology while not knowing and personally caring for the flock is not ministering . It is a form of religion . ( There is only one half of one verse in the whole bible that says forsake not the assembling of yourselves together. ) What about all the other verses . No where does it say for ministers to conduct weddings , funerals , nor build buildings . Is the Bible even relevant to what we call Christianity ? When Paul told the common everyday believers that they took joyfully the spoiling of all their goods having a more enduring substance reserved for them in heaven , how would that go over today ? How did they send their kids to college ? Were the early Christians to whom Paul wrote this even Christians ? I mean , they were not college educated . Do you see a problem?

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my own church, I do believe the pastors are dedicated to God. They would be distressed if they thought an issue such as 'salaries' would cause a rift between the people and God. And the same goes for many pastors ... they are trying to keep their faith pure and strong.

But there is a great risk that our churches in America are becoming 'business models". No-one is waiting on the Lord for His reply, when important matters are brought before Him. Instead committees make decisions, jobs are advertised, and budgets rule.

I am reading all of Paul's letters now. I agree with the previous reader. Today we are a long way ... from the place where Paul was. Our churches have become comfort zones. Paul never lived or preached in a comfort zone.

Blessings!!

Reactions: harko
Upvote 0