Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I use to have a problem with Joyce Meyers (whom I no longer follow) having flowers in front of her speaking platform. I thought I'm not going to give her any money to waste on flowers in front of her speaking platform of course it ws wrong of me to see things that way. What you have now with your large church paying 6 figure salaries to (2) of it's pastors is called a grudge and grudges are not allowed in the body of Christ. You say you like your church ... fine then stay, but get rid of the grudge. Look at it this way ... when you tithe you are giving to God and He is giving to these two pastors (not you). Get rid of the grudge, but don't cheat God.

If you make your pockets His pockets then He can put some in or take some out :amen:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks

Check out this CF thread here, and this CF thread here.

As for money: Try reading 1 Timothy 6 a few times and ask yourself if a Christian can be rich by the world's standards of today.

Upvote 0

Seventeen76

A long way from 1776 and well into 1984.
Nov 29, 2018
Florida
✟2,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks
Well...that's a FT job if he is truly the leader of that church, but what is 6 figures exactly? If he has a wife who takes care of 3-4-5 kids and helps with ministry, then after taxes and depending on cost of living, paying for healthcare, saving for retirement, etc...$100k would be a modest middle class living standard. If he is making $500k scrutiny would be in order. What is he doing with the money? Is he living a humble life and giving back in service to those in need...or is driving a luxury car, wearing expensive jewelry and preaching about 'prosperity'. Hmmmmm.

The "christian" churches have been hijacked by Health, Wealth and Prosperity bandits. The church members must keep them accountable.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes.
What matters is what they do with it. I will not assume they spend it only for their own families. A pastor can help others in need. Also, a pastor might pay for the pastor's own travel and furthering of education. And it costs more or less to send just one child to college and university. Christian schools can be expensive, and private Christian high school and earlier can cost a lot.

I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out.
Have you looked up the various rules about tithing? One thing I remember is the tithes were gathered so the priesthood people and widows and orphans and aliens and poor, if I remember correctly, could eat and be satisfied. So, I see how tithes Biblical provide for the needy to be satisfied. And the structures and articles for worship were taken care of by free-will offerings of precious materials which the Jews had gotten in Egypt.

In case ones high up are getting more money than they should, and in case their paying for certain people's needs is more politics and for publicity . . . you yourself can do more to help someone, however God guides you :)

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on alot of things. Does he have a big family. Is it a very big congregation. Does he handle a ton of stuff.

For example false preacher Joel Osteen is worth 60 million. So I think thats to much. That money should be going back to help people. If your a pastor with multiple nice cars, a mansion, a pool, even a jet..... somethings not right.

I think there are only about 200 (give or take) members at our church and the pastor gets 35k a year. I think his wife does too. To me thats a good amount.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on the percentage he is getting compared to the church itself. If only half of the congregation gave $20 per week each that’s still 2,080,000 per year. Most likely more than half give at least $20 and half probably give more than $20. So if he’s around $100,000 per year that’s not really a large percentage.

I actually really like that you broke it down into math. I did some simple math like you and saw that even with low calculations of tithing like you did the two pastors are probably taking under 10% of the tithes. Thanks for that perspective

• Friendly
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're right.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get a 6 figure income as well from preaching.
I am always trying to figure out 6 ways from Sunday how I am going to get together the income to pay the next bill.
SIGH!!!!
I cant imagine why someone who makes $600,000 doesnt have enough money. Or is that 60k a year? Am i reading your post wrong?I live on 12k a year. If i had kids i would need more money but not that much.

Upvote 0

jchaudoir36

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Love One Another ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Nov 30, 2018
Amarillo, TX
✟16,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Always stay humble and kind. I think that a lot of people generally agree that the more you make the less tempted you are to stay humble. Humble means "rooted" down-to-earth. It would seem difficult to be humble when you look at the simple fact that we are all sinners, even preachers.

But despite that, we are also born of love and desire for truth. God is in control, not man. So you reap what you sow.

Remember that no matter how cleverly deceiving the people of the world can be (especially with money) true integrity is never hidden from our Lord.

And since Christmas is coming up soon ....Its not about the "getting" ...not even really about the "giving" ...its about the "loving."

Love is the "glue" (holds together)...the "spark" (ignites) that unites us all. Money can help or aide us ...but it is a material thing as well and it cannot carry us and build us up the way "Love" can. For God is Love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I cant imagine why someone who makes $600,000 doesnt have enough money, I live on 12k a year. If i had kids i would need more money but not that much. Or is that 60k a year? Am i reading your post wrong?
I am sorry I was joking friend. I do not make even close to that. I make 12 thousand a year too and I volunteer all the ministry I do. To be honest I was being a smart aleck and I shouldn't have done that.
Bless you and Merry Christmas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Yuppers, our senior pastor's salary is brought up each year at one of our business meetings. We are a church of about 250 members, and his salary/benefits package combined amounts to about $90K (if memory serves). For a pastor with his education (MDIV) and experience, and a congregation of our size, that salary amount puts him on the high side of average for senior pastors in our area of the country (the Midwest).

That said, the Lord clearly intends on us choosing to give .. e.g. Proverbs 3:9-10; Matthew 10:9-10; 2 Corinthians 9:6-7; Galatians 6:6-10; 1 Timothy 5:17-18, and pastors/teachers, as you can see from several of these passages, are an important part of that giving (they are often the very focus of such passages, in fact, so take a close look and consider what the Bible has to say about this if you have not already done so).

Our churches benefit from our giving, of course, as do parachurch ministries and all kinds of missions organizations that all see to the physical, mental, emotional and/or spiritual needs/well-being of many. But there is one other group that I believe has the potential to benefit far more than any other from our giving, and that group is the "givers" themselves :) Jack Hayford wrote an interesting book with a provocative title once called, The Key to Everything. In short, the "key" that he is referring to in his book is "giving", and that most definitely includes the careful and Biblical giving of our financial resources.

Your tithe is a direct financial blessing to many people (including yourself, in the case of your own church anyway ;)), so I'm not sure how withdrawing your tithe because you believe your pastor is overpaid is beneficial to anyone .. including yourself. Instead, why not ask someone about it (perhaps one of your elders or your deacon of finance .. you can do so confidentially)? Or bring it up in a business meeting by asking what parameters were used in deciding how much to pay him. Simply withdrawing your tithe w/o saying anything will change nothing for the better (if such a change is needed), because no one will know why you are doing it, yes?

Yours and His,
David

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I think when I heard that they are making 6 figures I got a root of bitterness in me. They make on the lower end of 6 figures. Even on the lower end that’s almost double what I make in my secular job. I think I have to pray over it and reevaluate some things in my heart. I do think I have to start tithing again because now I’m just using that money for my own selfish desires.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry I was joking friend. I do not make even close to that. I make 12 thousand a year too and I volunteer all the ministry I do. To be honest I was being a smart aleck and I shouldn't have done that.
Bless you and Merry Christmas
Thank you for clearing that up. :)

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yuppers .... your giving is in your own heart. But you can choose to give to whoever you want. you do not need to give 100% to your church. you can give a little to the church, and most of the money to missions if you want.

from all the above comments ... it is clear that by the time congregations (in the USA) pay six-figures to their Pastor, and six-figures to their building fund, there is nothing left in the pot. Almost nothing left for evangelism and missions. During the many years I did missions overseas, the money contributed by my own church was always chicken feed.

The point is not lost on pastors who live overseas. A pastor in Brazil said to me recently ... "America is drowning in prosperity".

Exactly right.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your reply. I think when I heard that they are making 6 figures I got a root of bitterness in me. They make on the lower end of 6 figures. Even on the lower end that’s almost double what I make in my secular job. I think I have to pray over it and reevaluate some things in my heart. I do think I have to start tithing again because now I’m just using that money for my own selfish desires.

Have you considered taking your money directly to those people that need it. I bet you could find four families at your church that could use your tithe money each month to meet some basic expenses. Giving works best if it goes to those in need. Even the Apostle Paul make tents to have money to support those in need.

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think you're right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I think a pastor shows his true colors when, already having sufficient funds to supply for his needs, he agrees to take more. Of course, these pastors throw up all sorts of specious justifications for doing so, spiritualizing and making pious their avarice, but any pastor who could live perfectly well on sixty or seventy thousand, does evil in taking a cent more from the church he pastors.

My Dad pastored a small rural church and never made more than twenty-seven thousand a year in the entire time he pastored there (almost fifteen years). Although he had six children (and then seven) to care for, he never demanded more money. He knew God, who had called him to the pastorate, would supply for our needs. And so God did. Although we were always very near the poverty line, God saw to it that we never lacked for all that we needed (and then some). Because my Dad was not pastoring for the paycheque, he saw God provide in ways I doubt these six-figure pastors ever do. My Dad (and we his kids) developed a history with God that is full of instances where we saw God's faithfulness in fulfilling His promises to us. We didn't have an over-abundance of stuff, and never the newest and best of things, but we still lived very well.

When I see these "pastors" making money hand-over-fist I wonder very much about their motives for pastoring. Jesus was very clear about NOT storing up treasures on earth (Matthew 6:19-20). He warned that it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven (Matthew 19:24). Paul wrote dire cautions to Timothy concerning the desire for money, as well:

1 Timothy 6:5-11
5 ...men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

In light of these things, I have no idea how one would legitimately justify a pastor making $100,000+/year.

On a related note:

Tithing For Toilet Paper: Doing God's Business The World's Way. | Christian Forums

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How many kids do they have? How many postgraduate degrees do they have? Is that their income from the church and ministry alone? If not, what percent of it is from the church and ministry?

A friend of mine went into the ministry full-time. He has to raise support, and doesn't know how he will save for retirement. A coworker of mine used to be a pastor, but with seven kids, and the reward for good work being more work, he had to do something else to provide for his family. This is where a lot of pastors start out. I don't know what either's debt situation looks like, but if your pastors started out like this, they may have some debts to repay and some saving to catch up on. Plus of course there are the temptations that can come with success as well, finding yourself making more money than you ever had can easily distract a person. They're only human.

PS: I'm assuming low six-figures. If it's high six-figures, then I'm more suspicious of profiteering on their part.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

the modern church structure is a cash cow. most resources go into salaries and buildings upkeep. the books of the church should be available for anyone to see, at

if you don't want to contribute then go to a church that makes you happier to give. Your dollar goes further in simpler structures like a house church. My home church has about 200 regular attenders in it and it has 2 pastors on staff. The lead just breaks into a 6 figure income. Why? because it's a well off community and everyone sitting in the pews also make 6 figures. So there is a sense of a evenly yoked lead pastor with the congregants. leading 4k people carried a lot of responsibility and if it were any other organization 6 figures would be justified... why not for pastors?

But I get why you're not comfortable with it, figure out what the purpose of a church is for and then find a church that does it, and become involved... after that it doesn't really matter who gets paid what and you should be happy to give. The NT model is under a house church structure so massive lavish churches buildings are not commented on but I have a suspicion Paul would be writing letters to those churches and telling them what he thinks. They feel to me like the fall under the message given to Laodicea in Rev 3.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="yuppers, post: 73491640, member: 349530"]I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks[/QUOTE
You are partly right (or might be) , and hopefully seeking Yahweh (God) and His Kingdom - as then
if you are seeking the truth, and if you keep seeking the truth, you will find it.

It will set you free, as God Says, as written in Scripture.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some church organizations these days are commercial enterprises, some of these organizations make a fortune.

You cannot serve God and money, but you can try.

Upvote 0