The people in my church are not singing!!!

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Simplest advice I can offer:

Leave your position as Worship Leader or suck up your pride and deal with it.
of course, the Convenient, easy, CATCH-ALL "you don't like it, then leave" Advice. I've been waiting for this actually. As expected.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Again no where in the bible it says that we have to sing to God, nor did God command us that we must sing for Him. All those verses you mentioned are for those who really want to sing. Not everyone likes to sing some songs, because could be because they are too feminine. If you google you see that some churches have become feminine and emotional, you cant expect masculine guys to feel comfortable doing feminine stuff.
Which are commands of God in the Bible then? We ALWAYS have free will. We always have the choice in everything. But if we truly receive Jesus as Lord and Savior, it's not our will but His already. And not JUST because we think the songs are FEMININE, lol.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Clearly, since you have been asked to make songs more singable, the singing aspect is seen as important.
And isn't that my point?

It shouldn't be. The singing aspect shouldn't be. It is about WORSHIP.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,860.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And isn't that my point?

It shouldn't be. The singing aspect shouldn't be. It is about WORSHIP.
And some people will value expressing their worship through participation in corporate singing. Part of your role is to support and enable that.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
of course, the Convenient, easy, CATCH-ALL "you don't like it, then leave" Advice. I've been waiting for this actually. As expected.
What can I say......you're obviously upset because you're not getting the recognition you crave as Worship Leader. Find something else that'll get your name up in lights.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What can I say......you're obviously upset because you're not getting the recognition you crave as Worship Leader. Find something else that'll get your name up in lights.
Lol. Suddenly, a personal attack, after saying that very convenient catch-all line. Nope, this is about True Worship of God. I don't think songs have to be made singable for people to genuinely worship God. Actually, there are a lot of issues in the modern church. In the first place, Believers should not worship with unbelievers. See 2 Corinthians 6:17 and 1 Corinthians 5.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And some people will value expressing their worship through participation in corporate singing. Part of your role is to support and enable that.
Why should that be part of the Worship Leader's role? Again, people CAN worship God as is, there shouldn't be no need to make sings more singable. You are not responding to my point, actually.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,860.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why should that be part of the Worship Leader's role?
I can't understand why it wouldn't be. Especially in a church which has clearly intended that to be part of your responsibilities.
Again, people CAN worship God as is, there shouldn't be no need to make sings more singable.
Well, that depends. Are the songs too difficult in some way for the average, untrained congregation member to join in? If so, maybe some adjustment is needed.
You are not responding to my point, actually.
I'm not sure I understand your point. I would have thought it was obvious that the function of a worship leader was to equip, enable, encourage, support the congregation in their full participation in the worship (which means more than singing, but, does include singing). I don't understand a worship leader who seems to devalue congregational participation and justifies that by saying "but they can still worship (while I do this thing without them)."

What precisely is your objection to making the songs easier to sing?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really appreciate all of your help, True Believers. Humbly, after asking God about this, please let me know your honest thoughts.

I. I am a Worship Leader of a certain church, for years.

Many pastors and people have told me I sing excellently, I am anointed, all glory and credit belong to our God because He empowers me. I alone am unworthy.
People constantly tell me they cry when I sing, or they are touched or blessed. In my heart, I do my best when singing heartfeltly in church. And my exhortations are brief but I try to make them deep and what the Bible really says (turn away from sin, etc.) and not just "Come on church, let's sing the Chorus!"

But the people are NOT SINGING. (only very few). Is it my responsibility to make them sing?

1. Aren't they so spoiled? They ARE RESPONSIBLE in worshipping God on their own, intimately. It's their relationship with God personally! There are I think many non-Christians allowed to enter the church, by the way. We are a big church.
2. Who knows, they could be worshipping God, just not through singing. I see some people raising their hands, closing their eyes in prayer. Why do I have to make them sing? They can just listen and soak in the lyrics, you know?

II.
So I am a Worship Leader of the above church and it does seem to be an Apostate church.

So days ago, I finally talked to my Pastor and told him everything. Why does the church seem to be so afraid of offending the carnal churchgoers? Is it because they might lose the income? Why are Repentance and turning away from sins not preached?

Why are the exhortations always "feel good", to tickle the itching ears?

I told him the Truth in the Bible against OSAS and that God will be angry at those who continue in the practice of sin...

I told him a person who lusts after a woman in his heart is already committing adultery.

I was shocked! My Pastor listened! He will tell this to the other Pastors as I have detailed their words. And awhile ago at the service, my Pastor repented in front of everyone!!! And his preaching involved holiness and turning away from sin!!!

Also, before him, God was able to use me to convince some people in this very church to turn away from sin and live holy for Christ.

What shall I do? Can I stay in this church? I am happy using my singing abilities and God can use me to lead them towards Righteousness??

Thank you so much Brethren. Be continually blessed. I appreciate you.
Sheesh! It’s always nice to know the singer in Church is judging you! Lol! There are many ways to worship God. The mindset of (the Church is a concert) really irritates me. I do not go to Church to listen to endless performances. (When I attended Protestant Churches) I’m there for the Word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sheesh! It’s always nice to know the singer in Church is judging you! Lol! There are many ways to worship God. The mindset of (the Church is a concert) really irritates me. I do not go to Church to listen to endless performances. (When I attended Protestant Churches) I’m there for the Word of God.
Sheesh too!

Exactly my point. Why is it my task to make songs singable, when the people clearly are worshipping in OTHER WAYS, as I have indicated in my first post, in case you read it.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can't understand why it wouldn't be. Especially in a church which has clearly intended that to be part of your responsibilities.

Well, that depends. Are the songs too difficult in some way for the average, untrained congregation member to join in? If so, maybe some adjustment is needed.

I'm not sure I understand your point. I would have thought it was obvious that the function of a worship leader was to equip, enable, encourage, support the congregation in their full participation in the worship (which means more than singing, but, does include singing). I don't understand a worship leader who seems to devalue congregational participation and justifies that by saying "but they can still worship (while I do this thing without them)."

What precisely is your objection to making the songs easier to sing?
Because it is TRUE. Apparently, the people CAN still worship even without singing. And they do. I see some raising their hands or just listening, their faces in clear worship. These I have already indicated in my first post, clearly so.

My objection? Because I don't see the need to. Because as I mentioned, my WORSHIPPING GOD should be enough. I clearly do all things for the song to be excellent. Now when the Worship Leader worships God sincerely, and the people see this, they will connect and will worship God too. I have seen this happen and happen again, even if the songs are NOT SINGABLE. I really don't see the need to.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And it wouldn't be a performance clearly if the Worship Leader is worshipping God. It will manifest in how he sings... It truly does. It will not seem like a performance even. The Worship Leader would actually not care about the people's behavior, but just focus on worshipping God. And the irony is, the people will connect with him and worship God too in the process.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I went to church for YEARS.....Most people in churches are wonderful people, trying to do their best... BUT we must face the fact. Fellowship ONLY happens with true believers, and WE can't identify who those people are.

Only God knows, that is why Paul says examine yourselves. This is also why Jesus said "NO" when the disciples said should we go tell them to stop, they are not part of us. Jesus said you might pull up the real along with the false.

Now I am at a place in my life, where I do not go to church. What we practice at churches is NOT first century/book of Acts, kind of church. In fact I would ask people to consider Hebrews CH 10:25 and really focus on the word "OURSELVES"

You see fellowship can ONLY happen between 2 or more people who are truly believers..

It's not just a room full of people at a building called "a church", this would be similar to thinking that when you walk into a safeway grocery store. that you could have fellowship with people there.

Fellowship is also not a potluck, a prayer gathering, an all night service. Fellowship is a "spiritual event"

What do I mean believers? (these are ones that God knows, these are not the ones who everyone thinks is a believer, who also do wonderful works in His name, yet God says "I don't know you", to which they reply, "Lord didn't we...")
I liked your post, but now I am quoting it. Because this is exactly one of my points.

One of the true Reasons is, the Modern church is very far from the church of the Bible. So so many issues.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,860.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because as I mentioned, my WORSHIPPING GOD should be enough.
As someone who also leads worship, I couldn't disagree more. We need to do more than worship; we need to enable and encourage the participation of others in the forms of worship (including singing) that our community chooses to use.
I really don't see the need to.
Well, at the end of the day, you are a person under authority. I'd suggest you either need to be open to direction and feedback, or willing to step aside from the role.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As someone who also leads worship, I couldn't disagree more. We need to do more than worship; we need to enable and encourage the participation of others in the forms of worship (including singing) that our community chooses to use.

Well, at the end of the day, you are a person under authority. I'd suggest you either need to be open to direction and feedback, or willing to step aside from the role.

Why so? It is the heart that God is looking at. It is Worship of God that is important, and NOT JUST mere singing. It's not a case of "more than worship". Worship IS THE ULTIMATE. Worship of God, which includes complete surrender of your life. Forsaking everything. Did you know that?

Actually, what a Shocking Twist. Been there and done that already.

Yup. I have long left the role. This is more for discussion purposes already.

Stepped down as Worship Leader, and left this megachurch. But NOT before telling the Pastors and Leaders and many others my presentation of all the wrong and Unbiblical things that they are doing.

True Believers, I strongly encourage you to Study what the Church in the Bible really is. Start with 1 Corinthians 14, 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, etc. What true Worship is. What evangelism should be. We are not to have fellowship with Unbelievers. Do you know that?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,860.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why so? It is the heart that God is looking at. It is Worship of God that is important, and NOT JUST mere singing. It's not a case of "more than worship". Worship IS THE ULTIMATE. Worship of God, which includes complete surrender of your life. Forsaking everything.
I agree that we don't want "mere" singing (or any outward form). But we do express our worship in various ways, including singing; and singing is particularly important as a corporate action, something we do together, something which expresses the unity and corporate identity of the body of Christ. So one person singing up the front in a way which doesn't allow others to participate, undermines the reasons why we sing in worship in the first place.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree that we don't want "mere" singing (or any outward form). But we do express our worship in various ways, including singing; and singing is particularly important as a corporate action, something we do together, something which expresses the unity and corporate identity of the body of Christ. So one person singing up the front in a way which doesn't allow others to participate, undermines the reasons why we sing in worship in the first place.
Really? What's your Biblical basis for this? Our arguments should be based from the Bible.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,039.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think the better topic to post would be, what should I do to expose how the Modern Church has veered so far from the Bible - Believers mixing with a lot of goats or Unbelievers (goat farms instead of churches), the preachings being watered down to cater to unbelievers, having this One Head Pastoral System which is not Biblical, the Pastor's role which is being salaried, the educational requirements for pastors which is not biblical as well, the Fact that we can be righteously offended and Jesus told us to approach the offender privately first, Discipline including for sexual immorality, hospitality (which is being FRIENDLY to strangers, I kid you not, that's the meaning of the Greek term)- and not the elite system we have in churches today, Christmas and Easter and observance of other Pagan holidays, the Gospel's COSTS not being presented - forsake everything for Jesus, and many more.

Upvote 0