The people in my church are not singing!!!

Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate all of your help, True Believers. Humbly, after asking God about this, please let me know your honest thoughts.

I. I am a Worship Leader of a certain church, for years.

Many pastors and people have told me I sing excellently, I am anointed, all glory and credit belong to our God because He empowers me. I alone am unworthy.
People constantly tell me they cry when I sing, or they are touched or blessed. In my heart, I do my best when singing heartfeltly in church. And my exhortations are brief but I try to make them deep and what the Bible really says (turn away from sin, etc.) and not just "Come on church, let's sing the Chorus!"

But the people are NOT SINGING. (only very few). Is it my responsibility to make them sing?

1. Aren't they so spoiled? They ARE RESPONSIBLE in worshipping God on their own, intimately. It's their relationship with God personally! There are I think many non-Christians allowed to enter the church, by the way. We are a big church.
2. Who knows, they could be worshipping God, just not through singing. I see some people raising their hands, closing their eyes in prayer. Why do I have to make them sing? They can just listen and soak in the lyrics, you know?

II.
So I am a Worship Leader of the above church and it does seem to be an Apostate church.

So days ago, I finally talked to my Pastor and told him everything. Why does the church seem to be so afraid of offending the carnal churchgoers? Is it because they might lose the income? Why are Repentance and turning away from sins not preached?

Why are the exhortations always "feel good", to tickle the itching ears?

I told him the Truth in the Bible against OSAS and that God will be angry at those who continue in the practice of sin...

I told him a person who lusts after a woman in his heart is already committing adultery.

I was shocked! My Pastor listened! He will tell this to the other Pastors as I have detailed their words. And awhile ago at the service, my Pastor repented in front of everyone!!! And his preaching involved holiness and turning away from sin!!!

Also, before him, God was able to use me to convince some people in this very church to turn away from sin and live holy for Christ.

What shall I do? Can I stay in this church? I am happy using my singing abilities and God can use me to lead them towards Righteousness??

Thank you so much Brethren. Be continually blessed. I appreci

I really appreciate all of your help, True Believers. Humbly, after asking God about this, please let me know your honest thoughts.

I. I am a Worship Leader of a certain church, for years.

Many pastors and people have told me I sing excellently, I am anointed, all glory and credit belong to our God because He empowers me. I alone am unworthy.
People constantly tell me they cry when I sing, or they are touched or blessed. In my heart, I do my best when singing heartfeltly in church. And my exhortations are brief but I try to make them deep and what the Bible really says (turn away from sin, etc.) and not just "Come on church, let's sing the Chorus!"

But the people are NOT SINGING. (only very few). Is it my responsibility to make them sing?

1. Aren't they so spoiled? They ARE RESPONSIBLE in worshipping God on their own, intimately. It's their relationship with God personally! There are I think many non-Christians allowed to enter the church, by the way. We are a big church.
2. Who knows, they could be worshipping God, just not through singing. I see some people raising their hands, closing their eyes in prayer. Why do I have to make them sing? They can just listen and soak in the lyrics, you know?

II.
So I am a Worship Leader of the above church and it does seem to be an Apostate church.

So days ago, I finally talked to my Pastor and told him everything. Why does the church seem to be so afraid of offending the carnal churchgoers? Is it because they might lose the income? Why are Repentance and turning away from sins not preached?

Why are the exhortations always "feel good", to tickle the itching ears?

I told him the Truth in the Bible against OSAS and that God will be angry at those who continue in the practice of sin...

I told him a person who lusts after a woman in his heart is already committing adultery.

I was shocked! My Pastor listened! He will tell this to the other Pastors as I have detailed their words. And awhile ago at the service, my Pastor repented in front of everyone!!! And his preaching involved holiness and turning away from sin!!!

Also, before him, God was able to use me to convince some people in this very church to turn away from sin and live holy for Christ.

What shall I do? Can I stay in this church? I am happy using my singing abilities and God can use me to lead them towards Righteousness??

Thank you so much Brethren. Be continually blessed. I appreciate you.
I'm sorry to hear the people in your church won't sing. You can't cajole them to sing. Most of the people in our church sing. Just a few don't and i imagine them in heaven feeling left out while everyone else is singing praises to God.

Gillian

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry to hear the people in your church won't sing. You can't cajole them to sing. Most of the people in our church sing. Just a few don't and i imagine them in heaven feeling left out while everyone else is singing praises to God.

Gillian
Thing u forget, not everyone likes to sing, is not that those who dont dont fear God, God doesnt need our songs, he aint that needy.

Reactions: Rely_942
Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thing u forget, not everyone likes to sing, is not that those who dont dont fear God, God doesnt need our songs, he aint that needy.
You "forgot" to reply to my points though.

God commands us to sing for Him. You are not obeying His command.

It is not about God needing our songs nor worship, so don't make it out to be.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You "forgot" to reply to my points though.

God commands us to sing for Him. You are not obeying His command.

It is not about God needing our songs nor worship, so don't make it out to be.
No, God did not command us to sing for him, there are no bible verses to support this.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, God did not command us to sing for him, there are no bible verses to support this.

Are you sure?

Forced reply?

If singing is not right, then why is singing written throughout the Bible? If Paul, Silas, David, Moses and even God, yes, even God, sang, why should you be exempted just because you think singing is feminine? (Which is a lie).

Zephaniah 3:17
17 The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Ephesians 5:19
speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.

Psalms 95:1

1 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalms 105:2
2 Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.

Acts 16:25
25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

1 Corinthians 14:15
15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

Matthew 26:30
30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Ezra 2:65
65 besides their 7,337 male and female slaves; and they also had 200 male and female singers.

Romans 15:9
9 and, moreover, that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written: “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing the praises of your name.”

Psalms 147:1
1 Praise the LORD.How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!

Exodus 15:1

1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD: “I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. Both horse and driver he has hurled into the sea.

Hebrews 2:12
12 He says, “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters; in the assembly I will sing your praises.”

Psalms 104:33
33 I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

Psalms 5:11
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Numbers 21:17
17 Then Israel sang this song: “Spring up, O well! Sing about it,

Isaiah 23:16
16 “Take up a harp, walk through the city, you forgotten prostitute; play the harp well, sing many a song, so that you will be remembered.”

Psalms 96:1-2
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.

Psalms 98:1
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.

Psalms 149:1
1 Praise the LORD.Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of his faithful people.

Psalms 9:2

2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

Isaiah 30:29
29 And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the Rock of Israel.

Revelation 5:9
9 And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

Revelation 15:3
3 and sang the song of God’s servant Moses and of the Lamb: “Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the nations.

Psalms 18:49
49 Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you sure?

Forced reply?

If singing is not right, then why is singing written throughout the Bible? If Paul, Silas, David, Moses and even God, yes, even God, sang, why should you be exempted just because you think singing is feminine? (Which is a lie).

Zephaniah 3:17
17 The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Ephesians 5:19
speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.

Psalms 95:1

1 Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalms 105:2
2 Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.

Acts 16:25
25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

1 Corinthians 14:15
15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.

Matthew 26:30
30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Ezra 2:65
65 besides their 7,337 male and female slaves; and they also had 200 male and female singers.

Romans 15:9
9 and, moreover, that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written: “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing the praises of your name.”

Psalms 147:1
1 Praise the LORD.How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!

Exodus 15:1

1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD: “I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. Both horse and driver he has hurled into the sea.

Hebrews 2:12
12 He says, “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters; in the assembly I will sing your praises.”

Psalms 104:33
33 I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

Psalms 5:11
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Numbers 21:17
17 Then Israel sang this song: “Spring up, O well! Sing about it,

Isaiah 23:16
16 “Take up a harp, walk through the city, you forgotten prostitute; play the harp well, sing many a song, so that you will be remembered.”

Psalms 96:1-2
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.

Psalms 98:1
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.

Psalms 149:1
1 Praise the LORD.Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of his faithful people.

Psalms 9:2

2 I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

Isaiah 30:29
29 And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the Rock of Israel.

Revelation 5:9
9 And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.

Revelation 15:3
3 and sang the song of God’s servant Moses and of the Lamb: “Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the nations.

Psalms 18:49
49 Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name.
When God command something u have to do it, God did not command us to sing for him, the bible verses u listed doesnt say you have to, it is if u really want to.

Upvote 0

Rely_942

Mar 16, 2024
Ohio
✟1,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't sing when I feel it's designed to be a 'show', when the music & leaders are drowning out the congregation & my voice & everyone else's is being drowned out by the 'leaders'. I also don't sing when the music is just repeating the same 5 words over & over.

I try to avoid churches like that.

But even churches teaching right can have music like that so it's not a sign the church in itself is wrong.

The singing s/ be designed to be for the congregation to sing, not the leaders pretending they're in a band. The leaders should be leading, not the focus.

It is not your responsibility to make them sing. The faithful don't need flashy shows or emotions to sing. You provide an opportunity for them.

Sadly I see many churches that don't teach the real message. I'm so happy you recognzie the church is doing that wrong & approached them on it! I am so happy to hear the church listened! Yes, stay in it. They are repenting. See if they will change the music style to better suit corporate worship & not just be a show & 'tickle the ears' messages.
I like most of what you said. Sometimes repetition can be meditation on the truth. You have a good point though. A lot of churches are meditating on meaningless things.

Appreciate you.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
When God command something u have to do it, God did not command us to sing for him, the bible verses u listed doesnt say you have to, it is if u really want to.
Really? How so? Where does it say that only if you want to?

You're exempted?

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

You're exempted?
And you're exempted just because you think singing is feminine? which it clearly isn't, as many men in the Bible did it for God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God also encourages us to give, but cheerfully, not under compulsion. Likewise with all forms for worship, in whichever form we are gifted.

Otherwise, should one conclude that Paul and Silas sang only because they were commanded to do so - to perhaps secure God's provision? Would God have refused to aid them if they didn't sing?

How far do we take it? Should we expect that all of Moses' praise be in the form of song? Or that all of David's Psalms be shared in our churches only through song? Should we be singing our prayers?

l would offer that they, and we, are called to sing when we are moved by the Spirit. That is, after all, how we are enabled to do ANYTHING for the Lord.

And some are moved to sing in the silence of their heart. Should we be on high alert over whether our brother is worshipping "properly"?

Colossians 3:17 NIV

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God also encourages us to give, but cheerfully, not under compulsion. Likewise with all forms for worship, in whichever form we are gifted.

Otherwise, should one conclude that Paul and Silas sang only because they were commanded to do so - to perhaps secure God's provision? Would God have refused to aid them if they didn't sing?

How far do we take it? Should we expect that all of Moses' praise be in the form of song? Or that all of David's Psalms be shared in our churches only through song? Should we be singing our prayers?

l would offer that they, and we, are called to sing when we are moved by the Spirit. That is, after all, how we are enabled to do ANYTHING for the Lord.

And some are moved to sing in the silence of their heart. Should we be on high alert over whether our brother is worshipping "properly"?

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
So why is it MY TASK then, and why is it the task of Worship Leaders, to make people sing??

Or it isn't? Which is which?

If not, then I'm doing fine in just focusing in the first place on just Worshipping God, and the Pastor's comment that I make the songs more singable for the Congregation is out of place? Because really, if I and other Worship Leaders just FOCUS ON WORSHIPPING GOD, then the people will connect with me and them, and they will be encouraged to worship.

But no, pastors want the songs to be more singable. And they look at the congregation's singing as a guage....

So what gives?

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

But Curiousmind is different. He simply refuses to sing, period. Just because he thinkings singing for the Lord is FEMININE. Now is that right?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So why is it MY TASK then, and why is it the task of Worship Leaders, to make people sing??
It is not your task to "make" people do anything.
If not, then I'm doing fine in just focusing in the first place on just Worshipping God, and the Pastor's comment that I make the songs more singable for the Congregation is out of place?
However, it may be your task to equip, enable and encourage people to sing, if they wish to. Making songs more "singable" may well be part of that.
Because really, if I and other Worship Leaders just FOCUS ON WORSHIPPING GOD, then the people will connect with me and them, and they will be encouraged to worship.
Let's just note that "singing" and "worship" are not interchangeable terms.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It is not your task to "make" people do anything.

However, it may be your task to equip, enable and encourage people to sing, if they wish to. Making songs more "singable" may well be part of that.

Let's just note that "singing" and "worship" are not interchangeable terms.
My point is clear. Of course, singing does not necessarily mean you are worshipping God. God looks at the heart. It is what matters. A singing person's heart may be far from God even if he sings 24/7.

My point is, why is it my task to have to change the songs to Singable level to "encourage" the people to sing, when I can just Focus on worshipping God truly while singing, knowing that the people will connect with that, and thereby encouraged to worship God, whether they raise their hands in worship, or sing or not? This was So Clear in my first post, right? People just respond to the latest. Lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point is, why is it my task to have to change the songs to Singable level to "encourage" the people to sing, when I can just Focus on worshipping God truly while singing, knowing that the people will connect with that, and thereby encouraged to worship God, whether they raise their hands in worship, or sing or not? This was So Clear in my first post, right? People just respond to the latest. Lol
Well, it seems at least part of your role is to provide the support to enable others to join in and sing. Is that really so bad?

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You're exempted?
Again no where in the bible it says that we have to sing to God, nor did God command us that we must sing for Him. All those verses you mentioned are for those who really want to sing. Not everyone likes to sing some songs, because could be because they are too feminine. If you google you see that some churches have become feminine and emotional, you cant expect masculine guys to feel comfortable doing feminine stuff.

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Again no where in the bible it says that we have to sing to God, nor did God command us that we must sing for Him. All those verses you mentioned are for those who really want to sing. Not everyone likes to sing some songs, because could be because they are too feminine. If you google you see that some churches have become feminine and emotional, you cant expect masculine guys to feel comfortable doing feminine stuff.
So why don't you find a more masculine church then? If you truly are focused on God? Why allow yourself to go in such a feminine and emotional church?

And AGAIN, you are not addressing my points. Why are you exempted, just because you feel that the songs are too feminine? You won't worship?

Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟22,029.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, it seems at least part of your role is to provide the support to enable others to join in and sing. Is that really so bad?
To support them to sing, or to WORSHIP? Which as I mentioned, I would be able to do anyway by focusing on Worshipping Him, not necessarily on having to make songs "singable" for this "church", which in reality has many other issues for another thread of its own.
The Church of today is just so far from the church of the Bible... (one-pastoral system, believers mixed in with unbelievers, etc.)

Upvote 0