Woodbury
✟15,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God has commanded us to tithe 10% of our income. This means that 10% of income goes to the church, not just charities or other things like that. The pattern of tithing in the Old Testament was that 10% of the income went to the Levites (eg the priests/pastors of the nation). Their lives were dedicated to service toward God and the work of the ministry, so it was only right to give them a fair share of the harvest of the field. There were additional tithes in the Old Testament (offering to the poor, first fruits offering), but these were in addition to the 10% that went to the Levites, not instead of. So no, we should not stop tithing 10% to the church, even if we disagree with how our church chooses to allocate the funds. If we don't like a particular church, we can always change churches, but it's not an option to stop tithing. Do we really want our pastors to have to live in poverty? Why shouldn't they be able to provide a comfortable life for their family? If pastors have to live in poverty, then so should every other Christian; otherwise, it's hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Reconciliation and Truth

Nov 4, 2018
Midwest
✟19,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I go to a large church. There’s probably somewhere around 4K people that come over 5 services. I found out a month or so ago that 2 pastors in my church make 6 figure incomes. I used to tithe at my church with a joy in helping out. After hearing about the income levels I haven’t tithed in a few weeks. The joy I had isn’t there anymore knowing that my money is just going to our pastor. I’m all for pastors getting paid but not at such a high level. Could I get everyone’s perspective on this topic? Am I “right” in not feeling comfortable with that income level, or is it something that is ok because they are doing God’s work? Also on a side note, I do really like my church and they are doing Gods work. Please don’t talk negatively about it. Thanks

A pastor should live according to the means and lifestyle of his flock. If most people there earn around the same amount I suppose that is justified.

If they are asking you to give them 10% of their income you need to think seriously about how they justify it and look over their finances. There is no justification for giving 10% of your income to a church. Giving 10% to God is great, giving is great. You are in a good place if they encourage you to give more outside your Church for God.

You already know something is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think while Paul asked the churches to give I don't recall him using the Old Testament tithe as a justification for doing so. While he did say preachers are entitled to their wages he himself did not preach the gospel for a charge but had his own profession as a tentmaker separate from preaching.

Upvote 0