Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This analogy needs to be fixed. We are comparing fitness yoga to spiritual yoga, so we'd need a scenario in which one person was using a Ouija board for its intended purpose, i.e. trying to contact the paranormal, and using for something it wasn't initially intended for. So say I use a Ouija board not to communicate with the paranormal, but as a straight-edge for a drawing I am doing. Would that be wrong, or is it only wrong to use a Ouija board for its original, intended purpose?
Yes, that is indeed a better way of asking.

I don't really know the answer to your question. I suspect ... I want to say that we recognize objects as being holy, set apart for particular use within the Church, for example. So, in that case, I can't deny the possibility of other material objects set aside for evil purposes?

However ... while that's a pretty fascinating question, it wouldn't actually answer the yoga question. In that case perhaps we are asking whether certain poses have spiritual meaning. Don't we have these within the Church as well? Crossing ourselves, metanoias? It begins to circle back though. If an unbeliever crosses himself, is it meaningless to him? Failing to provide benefit? What are the implications? However - I also feel a concern with such a method of discerning. Are we to use logic to determine spiritual influences through seeking parallels? Is this "leaning on our own understanding?" It's not my question, so in this case I have to say I'm not comfortable arriving at an answer for someone else, when I really don't know. In the end, I would say, "ask your priest". Because right or wrong, it's better that he answers than that I advise on something I know nothing about.

Interesting thought though. :) Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Put your faith in charge, not your fears!
Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pilates yoga was created as a physical therapy exercise more than the traditional eastern spiritual practice type Yoga.
skeletonyo_v1rat95o.gif

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Incidentally, I just heard about another Matushka that also participates in fitness yoga. Seems like there isn't a universally accepted answer in this.

I'm not planning to join a yoga class, fitness or otherwise, but I am leaning towards thinking that stretching my back that way in the midst of other stretches isn't so much of a problem. Perhaps I'll mention something to my priest when we talk next.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Or not. I mean, you know it works and isn't demonic, and your priest isn't likely to actually know anything about this, so it would be utterly pointless to be forbidden to do it. What do you gain by talking about it with him?

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you know the right answer, why bother him? And risk getting the wrong answer? Granted, you have to know you have the right answer. There is a certain point where it's silly to ask - do you ask your priest's advice about what to eat for breakfast?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you know the right answer, why bother him? And risk getting the wrong answer? Granted, you have to know you have the right answer. There is a certain point where it's silly to ask - do you ask your priest's advice about what to eat for breakfast?
Of course not. But the question seems in some debate here. (Once again, I'm not commenting; I don't know.) But one doesn't come here asking advice for what to have for breakfast either. I don't think that's a reasonable comparison.

ETA: Forgive me please. I'm not looking to debate or go on about it. I was just a bit surprised, that's all. But I think I'll step out of this thread. I never had much to add anyway. Peace be with you all.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
:idea::idea:
What if a person is doing downward facing dog under the experienced direction of a trauma center psychotherapy group, in order to benefit from a somatic (bottom up) intervention in the treatment of trauma disorders?
518YpMDkLvL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Would it be okay in these circumstances?

:idea::scratch:

i'll just stick to DDP yoga. Although that diamond cutter stretch can be taken for an illuminati symbol.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not think any stretch is inherently evil or a gateway to demons.

Stretches alone are not a spiritual act; meditation and purposeful symbolism is. Likewise fasting for an operation is distinctly different to fasting for a deity. The examples are abundant.

Many stretches are not unique to yoga, and are used extensively in sports. Indeed, if we do not stretch the risk of injury is high.

In the context of the OP, stretches that are used for the purpose of stretching are simply that - a stretch.

If you continue to have concerns, speaking to your priest cannot hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And forgive me. If it were the demons the mocking was directed to - no problem. But it felt like one another or some statements made by someone in the Church.

Again, I'm not making accusations. Not my place. But the "atmosphere" in general had that sort of feel. As I said, it's probably not my place to say anything. Please forgive me.

I am interested in the rest of your post and will read it, but this is just a comment on the mocking, or lack of.
I am sorry you thought persons were being mocked. I don't think anyone had that intent.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do not think any stretch is inherently evil or a gateway to demons.

Stretches alone are not a spiritual act; meditation and purposeful symbolism is. Likewise fasting for an operation is distinctly different to fasting for a deity. The examples are abundant.

Many stretches are not unique to yoga, and are used extensively in sports. Indeed, if we do not stretch the risk of injury is high.

In the context of the OP, stretches that are used for the purpose of stretching are simply that - a stretch.

If you continue to have concerns, speaking to your priest cannot hurt.
Makes sense. I'll continue with the stretch advised by my PT. If I feel concerned in the future, then I may bring it up with my priest...but as of now, I don't have plans to do so. Im not going out of my way to find yoga stretches to add into my routine, but I'm not going to stress a lot about stretches that help me just because they are also used by those practicing yoga.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sonetimes random discussions occur during fellowship hour. If something happens like that, I may discuss it. I don't have plans go out of my way / his way to do that though as of this time. I would discuss joining a yoga class before doing so though. I don't have any desire to do that so I don't think that will be a problem.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, I was at the gym with one of my Orthodox friends, and we were stretching. I have just finished PT for my shoulder and a stretch that really helps is the cat back. I actually thought it was a Pilates move but apparently it is a yoga pose. My friend said that I shouldn't include that in my stretch routine. Now I know meditative yoga is not something I should participate in, but is there something inherently wrong with moving your body in a position just because it is also used in yoga? I always thought the danger was in the meditative state, not the poses inherently. Any thoughts?

The stretches are designed to open the chakras. When the kundulini awakes, it climbs up the spine like a wild monkey. If you don't have the chakras opened, it causes pain and makes you go insane.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The stretches are designed to open the chakras. When the kundulini awakes, it climbs up the spine like a wild monkey. If you don't have the chakras opened, it causes pain and makes you go insane.
I have no clue as to what chakra, kundulini, or any of those mean. I'm assuming it is part of practicing yoga, which I am not and do not plan to do. The question I am asking is what makes something truly be yoga, not whether yoga is or is not right. If someone is stretching and just so happens to be in a pose that is also used by yoga - is it really yoga then? I believe that is the core of the matter.

@ikonographics - thanks for the link...definitely clarified that practicing yoga is not something I want to take up. The remaining question, in light of that article, is whether stretching and so happening to stretch in a pose that is in yoga is actually participating in yoga.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no clue as to what chakra, kundulini, or any of those mean. I'm assuming it is part of practicing yoga, which I am not and do not plan to do. The question I am asking is what makes something truly be yoga, not whether yoga is or is not right. If someone is stretching and just so happens to be in a pose that is also used by yoga - is it really yoga then? I believe that is the core of the matter.

@ikonographics - thanks for the link...definitely clarified that practicing yoga is not something I want to take up. The remaining question, in light of that article, is whether stretching and so happening to stretch in a pose that is in yoga is actually participating in yoga.
I would want to clear my mind and condition my body so I can pray better and listen to God better. A chaotic mind is to busy to talk to God. Yoga doesn't interfere with religion.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I would want to clear my mind and condition my body so I can pray better and listen to God better. A chaotic mind is to busy to talk to God. Yoga doesn't interfere with religion.

It does if you are Orthodox.

We have hesychasm and the grand tradition of the Desert Fathers, the Philokalia and so on;
yoga represents nothing less than an intrusion into the Orthodox faith, and a rather surefire method of descending into prelest.

The compelling arguments against it that I have seen are related to compelling arguments against altered states where the mind is in neutral, in general.

-----

Now that all being said, the Orthodox Christian can surely stretch in a non meditative manner, but I think it is not unwise to discuss this with your priest. I would not use yoga postures myself. Rather there are a wide array of medically sanctioned techniques not connected to external religious practice.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0