Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I was at the gym with one of my Orthodox friends, and we were stretching. I have just finished PT for my shoulder and a stretch that really helps is the cat back. I actually thought it was a Pilates move but apparently it is a yoga pose. My friend said that I shouldn't include that in my stretch routine. Now I know meditative yoga is not something I should participate in, but is there something inherently wrong with moving your body in a position just because it is also used in yoga? I always thought the danger was in the meditative state, not the poses inherently. Any thoughts?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So, I was at the gym with one of my Orthodox friends, and we were stretching. I have just finished PT for my shoulder and a stretch that really helps is the cat back. I actually thought it was a Pilates move but apparently it is a yoga pose. My friend said that I shouldn't include that in my stretch routine. Now I know meditative yoga is not something I should participate in, but is there something inherently wrong with moving your body in a position just because it is also used in yoga? I always thought the danger was in the meditative state, not the poses inherently. Any thoughts?
Your friend is silly. And Pilate killed Christ.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how a stretching pose is inherently religious. Especially if you didn't even know it while doing it. Do Hindus have a monopoly on all the ways you can contort your body?

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've encountered a few posts on this forum about the supposed harmfulness for Christians to do yoga, but never any similar sentiments in my real life. The church I grew up attending actually hosts yoga classes called Soul Flow every week. My secondary school (grades 7-12) has yoga classes, and taking them daily throughout those years was tremendously beneficial for me and actually helped to deepen my faith rather than weaken it. Most of it was purely physical, but there were also poses designed to relax your body and your mind and I would often pray during them. It's a way to alleviate physical and mental stress. The morning exercise felt like a way to gracefully wake up every muscle and prepare me for the day. I also did yoga stretches before and after dance to help warm up and cool down. The Marjaryasana / cat pose is one of the simplest and most relaxing you can do, and it's excellent for your core. It's commonly used in physical therapy and in other therapeutic settings outside of yoga. You do have to be a bit careful with your alignment if you've had neck injuries, so do use care.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've encountered a few posts on this forum about the supposed harmfulness for Christians to do yoga, but never any similar sentiments in my real life. The church I grew up attending actually hosts yoga classes called Soul Flow every week. My secondary school (grades 7-12) has yoga classes, and taking them daily throughout those years was tremendously beneficial for me and actually helped to deepen my faith rather than weaken it. Most of it was purely physical, but there were also poses designed to relax your body and your mind and I would often pray during them. It's a way to alleviate physical and mental stress. The morning exercise felt like a way to gracefully wake up every muscle and prepare me for the day. I also did yoga stretches before and after dance to help warm up and cool down. The Marjaryasana / cat pose is one of the simplest and most relaxing you can do, and it's excellent for your core. It's commonly used in physical therapy and in other therapeutic settings outside of yoga. You do have to be a bit careful with your alignment if you've had neck injuries, so do use care.
The way most people in the US 'do yoga' is completely divorced from its spiritual roots. Most Americans are just stretching and using it as exercise. I worked with a Hindu lady that ran real yoga classes out of her home that was entirely focused on the spiritual aspects. She used to complain about the fake American yoga all the time.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The way most people in the US 'do yoga' is completely divorced from its spiritual roots. Most Americans are just stretching and using it as exercise. I worked with a Hindu lady that ran real yoga classes out of her home that was entirely focused on the spiritual aspects. She used to complain about the fake American yoga all the time.
Completely true. I mean, if you're sitting in some asana and following their instructions to think about some things, that's one thing, but it's simply not the case that merely by getting into a pose, you're somehow making a theological statement about a Hindu deity. That's not how actual hatha yoga works.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is all about intention. If you are doing downward facing dog for spiritual reasons, then there is a problem. If you are doing downward facing dog to get the kink out of your back, you are just stretching.
What if a person is doing downward facing dog under the experienced direction of a trauma center psychotherapy group, in order to benefit from a somatic (bottom up) intervention in the treatment of trauma disorders?
518YpMDkLvL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Would it be okay in these circumstances?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the pose. Some are no big deal, but a lot are to invoke pagan Hindu deities. Tis something to discern with your priest
How can a position invoke a Hindu deity if you have no knowledge that it is doing so? Doesn't there have to be some kind of intention behind it?

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Describe how you perform this particular exercise, if you will.
I'm in the gym or home, getting the kinks out of my back / shoulder, and - among a variety of stretching exercises, for a lack of a better description, arch up my back and invert the arch. I've been using it as part of the post-PT home exercise program.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How can a position invoke a Hindu deity if you have no knowledge that it is doing so? Doesn't there have to be some kind of intention behind it?
Also why would your average priest actually know anything about yoga?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Completely true. I mean, if you're sitting in some asana and following their instructions to think about some things, that's one thing, but it's simply not the case that merely by getting into a pose, you're somehow making a theological statement about a Hindu deity. That's not how actual hatha yoga works.

It is all about intention. If you are doing downward facing dog for spiritual reasons, then there is a problem. If you are doing downward facing dog to get the kink out of your back, you are just stretching.

That's what I've always thought as well. It was surprising to me how strongly opposed she was to stretching that way, just because it is also used as a pose in yoga.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the gym or home, getting the kinks out of my back / shoulder, and - among a variety of stretching exercises, for a lack of a better description, arch up my back and invert the arch. I've been using it as part of the post-PT home exercise program.
Yup, thanks. That is the exercise called "cat tilts" in the twenty exercise program sample given in the book on yoga for overcoming trauma that I displayed above. For trauma survivors, some of these postures can actually trigger the problematic feelings that spring from the initial traumatic experiences that created them. Trauma sensitive yoga instructors are working hand in hand with psychotherapists so that patients can work through and overcome the effects of the trauma. I'd say that practicing yoga by one who is basically emotionally healthy is fine. For someone with troublesome emotional health issues, however, it is probably best done under the careful supervision of their therapist. If it is done by someone who is psychologically healthy as a mere stretching exercise to relieve muscle, joint, and nerve pain and promote this type of healing, then there is no issue whatsoever.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
do the demons respect your free will?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to be argumentative, but I am not so sure intention is a necessary factor. How many people since and before the time of Christ who were plagued by or possessed by demons do you suppose intended for that to happen?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

well, I have a friend who did yoga (actually went to India to teach it before becoming an Orthodox Christian), and he is very wary. sun salutations are just that: they are salutations to the sun, which is pagan.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but without the mantras, pointing in that direction, or even thinking about it... Of course, it's also a series of postures and movements rather than one posture divorced from all the others. None of the individual postures and movements are at all unique to hatha yoga.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0