Yoga poses used for stretches - not yoga meditation

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Put your faith in charge, not your fears!
Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you know the right answer, why bother him? And risk getting the wrong answer? Granted, you have to know you have the right answer. There is a certain point where it's silly to ask - do you ask your priest's advice about what to eat for breakfast?
How would asking one's priest risk getting the wrong answer?

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The stretches are designed to open the chakras. When the kundulini awakes, it climbs up the spine like a wild monkey. If you don't have the chakras opened, it causes pain and makes you go insane.
That is utter nonsense.
It's reminiscent of the early 19th century doctors who advocated women to commit to self-stimulation in order to avoid going insane or to reduce chance of female hysteria.

Opening the Chakra's invigorates those energy centers that feed and sustain those areas of the body surrounding their area of activation. If they're not opened people suffer ill health. They don't go insane. Otherwise we'd have a world of insane people for the lack of knowledge those people have even of the word, Chakra.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I should also mention that where a local bishop or a Holy Synod has prohibited yoga, it is entirely out of the question, at least for me. I am not an enthusiast of disobeying bishops.
I was hoping someone would address the authority of that Synod. I read part of what they put out as a catechumen, and as I said, there was part I did not agree with, but it wasn't something important enough to me to put over pursuing the Church.

But I had wondered at the implications for the faithful from that Synod, and whether it is universally binding? (And if not, why not - simply because I never asked how such things work.)

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was hoping someone would address the authority of that Synod. I read part of what they put out as a catechumen, and as I said, there was part I did not agree with, but it wasn't something important enough to me to put over pursuing the Church.

But I had wondered at the implications for the faithful from that Synod, and whether it is universally binding? (And if not, why not - simply because I never asked how such things work.)

Well, it was not an ecumenical council; that said I see no compelling reason to ignore the advise of the large number of Orthodox clergy who have spoken out against yoga. It is also extremely wise to discuss this with your confessor, inclusing questions about applicability; you might not be a member of the Church of Greece, but your bishop might well regard that synod as valid or may have issued his own instructions.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is utter nonsense.
It's reminiscent of the early 19th century doctors who advocated women to commit to self-stimulation in order to avoid going insane or to reduce chance of female hysteria.

Opening the Chakra's invigorates those energy centers that feed and sustain those areas of the body surrounding their area of activation. If they're not opened people suffer ill health. They don't go insane. Otherwise we'd have a world of insane people for the lack of knowledge those people have even of the word, Chakra.

Plenty of insane testimonies but I'm not going to look them up and don't care. The source is out there

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Insane testimonies? You realize those aren't credible because the testifier is admittedly insane?

Put the question to the people who've answered in this thread.

How many of you have opened your Chakras?

Those who have not, are you insane?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, it was not an ecumenical council; that said I see no compelling reason to ignore the advise of the large number of Orthodox clergy who have spoken out against yoga. It is also extremely wise to discuss this with your confessor, inclusing questions about applicability; you might not be a member of the Church of Greece, but your bishop might well regard that synod as valid or may have issued his own instructions.
Despite myself not being a part of the Greek Archdiocese, their prohibition is enough to confirm my decision of not joining a yoga class. It is interesting though that a few bishops in another jurisdiction have given their blessing for 'fitness yoga'. Some of those given permission are people I personally know - although not part of my parish.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Asking someone to comment on their own sanity seems to me contrary to the Orthodox Way.
Debate over authenticity and implications of Chakras seems to me contrary to Orthodoxy ...

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Despite myself not being a part of the Greek Archdiocese, their prohibition is enough to confirm my decision of not joining a yoga class. It is interesting though that a few bishops in another jurisdiction have given their blessing for 'fitness yoga'. Some of those given permission are people I personally know - although not part of my parish.

Note that the Church of Greece is autocephalous, and not lart of the Ecumenical Patriarch, like the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North America.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you both for your comments. That is essentially how I took it - I knew it wasn't an Ecumenical Council - though I'm still not sure exactly what it was (as far as exactly who it IS binding on). But yes, a gathering of Orthodox bishops is not something I'd be quick to dismiss in any case.

I would agree for myself that I would ask my priest about applicability if it were an issue. As I said, the part I didn't agree with was minor, and easy enough for me to avoid without having to look into it (which I would have done if it were important enough to me, as I understand we don't simply discard things that ARE binding on us, thinking we "know better" or are above the instructions, or some such).

Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Insane testimonies? You realize those aren't credible because the testifier is admittedly insane?

Put the question to the people who've answered in this thread.

How many of you have opened your Chakras?

Those who have not, are you insane?

Zen don't see 7 energy points, they see 3. To much engeries can drive a man mad.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Note that the Church of Greece is autocephalous, and not lart of the Ecumenical Patriarch, like the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North America.
Thanks for the clarification!

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟23,404.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So, I was at the gym with one of my Orthodox friends, and we were stretching. I have just finished PT for my shoulder and a stretch that really helps is the cat back. I actually thought it was a Pilates move but apparently it is a yoga pose. My friend said that I shouldn't include that in my stretch routine. Now I know meditative yoga is not something I should participate in, but is there something inherently wrong with moving your body in a position just because it is also used in yoga? I always thought the danger was in the meditative state, not the poses inherently. Any thoughts?

Hi Laura!!!

You can see here:

What about Yoga?

:)

I like your name & I love Saint Laura of Cuteclara, Spain!!!

St Laura Oct 19
+ 864. Born in Cordoba, in Spain, as a widow she became a nun at Cuteclara. Condemned as a Christian by the Moors she was thrown into a cauldron of molten lead.

:):):) I wish you the best my sis Laura!!

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Laura!!!

You can see here:

What about Yoga?

:)

I like your name & I love Saint Laura of Cuteclara, Spain!!!

St Laura Oct 19
+ 864. Born in Cordoba, in Spain, as a widow she became a nun at Cuteclara. Condemned as a Christian by the Moors she was thrown into a cauldron of molten lead.

:):):) I wish you the best my sis Laura!!
Thanks for the resource!

I'm glad to hear that you have heard of St Laura! Not too many people are aware of her. I love her too :) so glad to have her as my patron saint!

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, I was at the gym with one of my Orthodox friends, and we were stretching. I have just finished PT for my shoulder and a stretch that really helps is the cat back. I actually thought it was a Pilates move but apparently it is a yoga pose. My friend said that I shouldn't include that in my stretch routine. Now I know meditative yoga is not something I should participate in, but is there something inherently wrong with moving your body in a position just because it is also used in yoga? I always thought the danger was in the meditative state, not the poses inherently. Any thoughts?
Those positions are designed to open the 7 channels to allow the kundulini energy to pass from the base of spine to crown. If you don't do that and awaken the serpent, you will get in very very very big trouble . you can't stop it and it makes you starve, turn evil, homeless, mental illness and ect. When that happens your teacher will run away from you not knowing real yoga. Look up qigong deviation.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can a position invoke a Hindu deity if you have no knowledge that it is doing so? Doesn't there have to be some kind of intention behind it?
Kundulini awakening is like the monkey swinging vine to vine going up. If you have the blockages (not doing yoga) in your body, the monkey can't get past the chakras. Then it becomes very painful. Crazy insane painful you wished you never touched yoga. You don't just ask the monkey to stop swinging. You ask the ambulance to take you to the hospital and then they will lock you up in the mental institution. Jesus warns of that but they don't listen. Same thing happens in penticoastal churches. They deal with it differently and soothes it claiming it's the holy spirit when it's really the demons. Still inspired by lucifer ether way. Zen will tame it better. Japanese are more modern and knows new ways to tame the demons for there own self pleasure.

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟23,404.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the resource!

I'm glad to hear that you have heard of St Laura! Not too many people are aware of her. I love her too :) so glad to have her as my patron saint!

Yes very often I prayer with my prayer rope to St Laura!!!!! I love her so much because when I was 13-23 years old I had a very good penfriend girl from Italy who called Laura!!!! :):):) And now I have a sister called Laura... you! ;) St Laura is our sis & good friend!! :):):)

Your sweetheart sister & best friend Saint Laura of Cordova:

e26ebd077b1cbf8a6b84dba409079a53.jpg

4541392264_6e9c9e724c_o.jpg

icone-72-originale.jpg

:):):);)

Upvote 0