Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
By some strange electronic quirk, I received the following email. After reading it, knowing that we near the Lenten struggle, I felt it an instructive warning, since during the Lenten season we are subject to increased temptations.

To: Slobglomerus

I am in receipt of your email asking me for particulars on working with your subject during the Enemy’s season of Lent. You appear to have failed to apply yourself to proper studies, seeing that the answer is within your textbooks. Nonetheless, for your edification, and that of other imps who may be equally lazy, I shall respond.

In the Evil Underworld, we depend upon that foundation of all sin – pride – to accomplish our work. Here are the two proven formulae for creating havoc in the human which assigned to you.

If he is lazy, that is, like the majority of those who call themselves by the Enemy’s name, there is little more to do than to encourage his recalcitrance. Spend your time reminding him of how much he despises fasting, how he hates the boredom of a limited diet, and how giving alms deprives him the pleasure of spending money on himself.

However, if you are plagued with a serious Orthodox believer, use his intensity against him by driving him to the opposite extreme. For one who is within the bounds of Lenten ascesis, use guilt on him. When he reads of those wretched saints who opposed us at every turn by their intense fasting, make him feel that he is a failure and the Enemy is disappointed in him that he cannot equal their feats. If he falls into this trap, use the despair he will feel to discouraged him and perhaps to even make him give up the entire effort as a bad show. Then, when all others are rejoicing in that accursed Resurrection, he will lack joy and perhaps be set up for further and deeper temptations.

Or, if you can get him to go to extreme, them subtlety suggest to him that he is a better believer than the rest in his assembly who are not doing the same. Once again, pride works on our behalf. We have had men like this eventually schismate from the Enemy’s church and start their own little assembly, to the glorious ruin of many.

In short, keep his eyes on himself. Do not – LISTEN TO ME – do not under any circumstances, allow him to meditate on the Enemy’s Passion, the love of the Enemy, or any of those other disgusting character flaws the Enemy has. This one area is where we have lost too many souls. To really “see” the Enemy’s love creates saints, and we do not want that. Keeping him self-focused is the key to success in your work of destroying his soul. Once he takes his eyes off himself, you have lost the game.

Now go and apply what I have told you.

I think there is much here to meditate upon as we approach Lent. Let us all look not at ourselves but ever meditate on the Savior’s great love, and in turn, do all we do in love and gratitude to He who alone loves mankind!

Paisios the Sinner.