✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of Yoga:
Wow! No wonder our pastor wanted it to be discontinued at our parish.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean, it's part of nature which God created and delights in. I think he appreciates when we delight in nature too.

It's a symbol in a lot of religions from Christianity and Islam to Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.

Job 40: 21-22​
Under the lotus plants it lies, in the covert of the reeds and in the marsh. The lotus trees cover it for shade​

I'm not a Buddhism or Hinduism expert by any means, I only took a semester of eastern philosophy in college but that barely gives me a rudimentary understanding of the belief system. As far as I can remember, the lotus is just a symbol, it's not something Buddhists believe actually invokes any kind of spirits or harnesses any kind of spiritual power. I think it just serves as a reminder to focus on peace and purity.

I'm open to correction here, but appreciating the beauty of a lotus flower, say, growing in a pond, is not the same as burning sage in your bedroom.

When I said I took yoga I only went for a very short time and I wasn’t good at it. Pietra looks just as hard.

You should check out SoulCore. It's built from the ground up based on the Catholic faith, so there's no stray Hindu or Buddhist philosophy or religion woven into the practices like yoga.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I learned something new from the article. :)

My daughter was telling me this.
Because yoga is exercise but the 'meditation' is so bad.

I posted [in the past] a video of a former wiccan/yoga teacher explaining you can't do yoga and be Christian.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I said I took yoga I only went for a very short time and I wasn’t good at it. Pietra looks just as hard.
This woman I knew went to yoga and she said you have to learn to 'breathe' the correct way.
UM... :scratch::sigh:
She was explaing the right way and I was like, it sounds like you have to be constantly thinking about how to do that.
So if you are constantly thinking about it, well then....

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I mean, it's part of nature which God created and delights in. I think he appreciates when we delight in nature too.

It's a symbol in a lot of religions from Christianity and Islam to Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.

Job 40: 21-22​
Under the lotus plants it lies, in the covert of the reeds and in the marsh. The lotus trees cover it for shade​

I'm not a Buddhism or Hinduism expert by any means, I only took a semester of eastern philosophy in college but that barely gives me a rudimentary understanding of the belief system. As far as I can remember, the lotus is just a symbol, it's not something Buddhists believe actually invokes any kind of spirits or harnesses any kind of spiritual power. I think it just serves as a reminder to focus on peace and purity.

I'm open to correction here, but appreciating the beauty of a lotus flower, say, growing in a pond, is not the same as burning sage in your bedroom.

You should check out SoulCore. It's built from the ground up based on the Catholic faith, so there's no stray Hindu or Buddhist philosophy or religion woven into the practices like yoga.
One of the live classes is held at my childhood parish.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This woman I knew went to yoga and she said you have to learn to 'breathe' the correct way.
UM... :scratch::sigh:
She was explaing the right way and I was like, it sounds like you have to be constantly thinking about how to do that.
So if you are constantly thinking about it, well then....
i used to see a therapist who was always talking about me breathing and mindfulness.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
i used to see a therapist who was always talking about me breathing and mindfulness.
Well this is not mindfulness.

This is breathing a different way entirely. Like breathing out... I cannot remember it exactly but very unnatural.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What are the side effects of yoga breathing?

Serious side effects of yoga are generally rare Some of the common side effects of yoga include musculoskeletal injury, complication with glaucoma, abnormal increase in blood pressure due to forceful breathing, back injury, muscle strain and others.

These five guidelines should be applied to all yoga practices.
  • Inhale when opening the front of the body. ...
  • Exhale while compressing the front of the body. ...
  • If the breath is suspended after inhalation, don't move. ...
  • Only move during breath suspension if it's following an exhalation. ...
  • Breathe deeply and effortlessly.

I tried years ago just a little and was like nope nope. Because her showing me was easier to explain,.

Nope nope.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mindfulness is New Agey too, though, isn’t it?
I'm not sure, but it sounds like it.

You meditate and doing these strange movements help keep you focused on yadda yadda

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Breathing and stretching are not bad. Exercising the body that causes pain is not bad if done to increase strength and flexibility. Nature is not bad. The beauty of the Lotus flower is not bad

What we are to be aware of and mindful of, are these things are of Earth and only temporary. To focus on them can be a distraction. To love them and to say we can’t do without them tempts us to worship the creature rather than the creator who is blessed forever.

We can admire God’s handiwork, but we need a healthy prayer life. Prayer is when we talk to God. Meditating on the scripture is when we listen to His voice. Would you put as much effort into the spiritual exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola as we would do to yoga? I have done the thirty day retreat and I highly recommend it. Would we study the Catholic Faith as much as we would exercise physically? Contact the Marian Catechist Apostolate and learn more of our faith

Mindfulness if we place it on the creature is new age and to be avoided. Study and mindfulness of the Creator is to be pursued as we love Him with our whole heart, whole mind and whole soul. We show Him that by obedience to His commands and His Church. As the scripture says in Philippians 4

6 Be nothing solicitous; but in every thing, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasseth all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. 8 For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things. 9 The things which you have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, these do ye, and the God of peace shall be with you

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What are the side effects of yoga breathing?

Serious side effects of yoga are generally rare Some of the common side effects of yoga include musculoskeletal injury, complication with glaucoma, abnormal increase in blood pressure due to forceful breathing, back injury, muscle strain and others.

These five guidelines should be applied to all yoga practices.
  • Inhale when opening the front of the body. ...
  • Exhale while compressing the front of the body. ...
  • If the breath is suspended after inhalation, don't move. ...
  • Only move during breath suspension if it's following an exhalation. ...
  • Breathe deeply and effortlessly.

I tried years ago just a little and was like nope nope. Because her showing me was easier to explain,.

Nope nope.
Yoga looks easy but it was so hard.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can a Christian Meditate?

Here is a discussion on Catholic Answers about meditation that’s interesting. And after reading this and getting to the part of praying the rosary, Father says that you don’t have to meditate on all the mysteries in order or something like that.
My mom taught me how to pray the rosary and she just prayed the prayers without meditating on the mysteries.

1) How many of you pray the rosary fairly often?
2) When you pray the rosary do you meditate on all the mysteries in order on the assigned day?
3) If not, how do you pray it? Just pray the prayers and think whatever comes to mind about Jesus and how good He is? Or something else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can a Christian Meditate?

Here is a discussion on Catholic Answers about meditation that’s interesting. And after reading this and getting to the part of praying the rosary, Father says that you don’t have to meditate on all the mysteries in order or something like that.
My mom taught me how to pray the rosary and she just prayed the prayers without meditating on the mysteries.

1) How many of you pray the rosary fairly often?
2) When you pray the rosary do you meditate on all the mysteries in order on the assigned day?
3) If not, how do you pray it? Just pray the prayers and think whatever comes to mind about Jesus and how good He is? Or something else?
Anyone?

Upvote 0