Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I’m praying the Rosary daily during Lent except Sundays, which I think were allowed to skip.
Sounds wonderful! Good for you! We always need our Blessed Mother's intercession :)

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love blessed sacramentals. They greatly enhance prayer, but you can never sell them, or they lose the blessing. That is because it would be the sin of simony to attempt to buy spiritual things.

We can buy rosaries and miraculous medals of course, but we must have them blessed after we buy them, and we cannot buy someone else’s blessed item and expect to retain the blessing.

I bought blessed water, oil and salt from the internet once for a steep price because they were advertised as blessed by the Pope.
My priest said, oh boy you got ripped off. Even if these sacramentals were blessed in the Vatican, they lost their blessing as soon as I bought them. I contacted the company and told them, and they offered to classify my money as a donation or refund it. I said no thanks, I cannot accept it because I am the one guilty of attempted simony. I asked them to please stop offering blessed items for sale, as that is false advertising. Sold items cannot retain their blessing
I’ve never heard that before.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I’ve never heard that before.
Neither did I, but my priest told me when I asked him to see the salt, oil, and water that I bought. I looked it up in the Catechism

2121 Simony is defined as the buying or selling of spiritual things. To Simon the magician, who wanted to buy the spiritual power he saw at work in the apostles, St. Peter responded: "Your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain God's gift with money!" Peter thus held to the words of Jesus: "You received without pay, give without pay." It is impossible to appropriate to oneself spiritual goods and behave toward them as their owner or master, for they have their source in God. One can receive them only from him, without payment.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And speaking of rosaries, I bought a new one today. It’s crystal aurora borealis beads with blue Our Father beads and a miraculous medal in the center. I’m having it blessed today after Mass if I can.
Something was wrong with the making of that rosary. It kept getting snagged on everything so I returned it and found another instead. Is it ok to return a blessed rosary?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Something was wrong with the making of that rosary. It kept getting snagged on everything so I returned it and found another instead. Is it ok to return a blessed rosary?
You can always bury it, if you want. But no, it's not wrong to return a blessed rosary.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If it is resold, the blessing is gone.
If it is given away, then no Simony, it remains.

Also I had jewelry tool to bend things back ... usually means the clasp wasn't fully closed and slightly out of line.

Obviously most folks don't mess with such things, but as a former thrift store owner, getting used jewelry, I had to spend time fixing stuff.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes it is. It is not till some one buys it again that it loses the blessing, but since it is defective I don’t think that will happen

I have ALWAYS had trouble with the metal rosaries that have beads held together by bent metal, except a gold one that I had once. The metal is made much too cheaply for daily use as prayer beads, especially with multiple different prayers per day. Other devotions use the beads in addition to the Rosary. I found the best are large wooden beads held together with wound string. I have had mine for three years so far but the beads with the cheap metal only last a few months, even if you pay a lot because they have expensive beads

Upvote 0