Would this be considered an activist judicial decision?

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Both now in NY and in Washington, bans on publicly voted gay marriages have been upheld with the rational of the majority being, and a paraphrased summation; "limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples furthers procreation (and) is essential to the survival of the human race."

Ok all you strict constructionists out there, to me this is a rather weak argument but I ask, is that an activist decision?

ElvisFan42

Senior Veteran
Jul 18, 2006
✟11,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No state's original constitution addresses same-sex marriage. If, at any time between then and now, an amendment was put to the people, to allow or disallow it, and they voted on it and it passed, and it was not deemed unconstitutional, wouldn't it then become part of the constitution? It seems it would be a pretty tough arguement to deem it unconstitutional.

I'm not sure why these judges feel the need to add their opinion, they have a process and precednt to stand on. I'm not sure it's activism, but it's surely leaning towards it.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Doctrine1st said:
Both now in NY and in Washington, bans on publicly voted gay marriages have been upheld with the rational of the majority being, and a paraphrased summation; "limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples furthers procreation (and) is essential to the survival of the human race."

Ok all you strict constructionists out there, to me this is a rather weak argument but I ask, is that an activist decision?
Can I get a link or something to work with, please?

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Sorry folks:

"In a splintered decision, Justice Barbara Madsen wrote that the state's marriage law was enacted to "promote procreation and to encourage stable families."

"The legislature was entitled to believe that limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples furthers the State's legitimate interests in procreation and the well-being of children."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/278896_samesex26ww.html

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Doctrine1st said:
Sorry folks:

"In a splintered decision, Justice Barbara Madsen wrote that the state's marriage law was enacted to "promote procreation and to encourage stable families."

"The legislature was entitled to believe that limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples furthers the State's legitimate interests in procreation and the well-being of children."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/278896_samesex26ww.html
Okay, let's take a look at the very first paragraph of the article, shall we?
article excerpt said:
The state Supreme Court today upheld Washington's law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, rejecting the argument of 19 same-sex couples that they've been unfairly denied the right to wed.
So the state Supreme Court was not writing law themselves, they were upholding an already-existing law that had been put in place by the legislature.

The answer to your OP question is: No. This is not judicial activism. Judicial activism is, for example, when the court basically (or literally) orders the legislature to pass certain laws that suit the current desires of the judiciary.

Reactions: DieHappy
Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Borealis said:
Okay, let's take a look at the very first paragraph of the article, shall we?

So the state Supreme Court was not writing law themselves, they were upholding an already-existing law that had been put in place by the legislature.

The answer to your OP question is: No. This is not judicial activism. Judicial activism is, for example, when the court basically (or literally) orders the legislature to pass certain laws that suit the current desires of the judiciary.
Okay, thanks for your input. :)

So given this ruling and your comment, since the courts are upholding existing state laws, the sumpreme okaying abortion is not judicial activism because they are upholding state legislation?

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think the law in Kelo was nearly as clear as this one seems to be. When a law passes that does not violate the constitution, it is not activism to uphold it. It is activism to either push change where no law exists or to strike down a law for reasons other than it violating the constitution. I agree that procreation is a pretty dumb reason to let the law stand, but the judge should have simply said, "there's no reason to not let this stand."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums