Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that was a genuine concern, Christians would be pushing for healthcare for newborns as well.

It's impossible to spreak for them, when they don't have opinions or thoughts or sensory input.

What makes you unaware that Christians do not only advocate for but often provide healthcare for newborns?

You are also assuming, on faith alone I suppose, somethings about the unborn, "don't have opinions or thoughts", that it is impossible to actually know. And another thing, "or sensory input", which is obviously false.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do Christians want to force their beliefs on everybody else?
For the record, putting aside scenarios of rape and life or death of the pregnant woman, the reason I personally would never counsel a woman to get an abortion, is that I believe that if she brings the baby to term, she will come to love that child and be glad the child was born. I don't actually want to judge anyone so as to condemn them.

Having said that, I'm not a legalist who thinks the law is a tool that will prevent sin. But nonetheless I can understand those that point out that at some point an embedded blastocyst develops into a person, and I acknowledge that. To me, all manners of sin are an internal spiritual matter that can only be resolved through Christ. What I try to stay away from, as a Christian, is being a hypocrite in my judgment. So, I think it's ultimately God's place to judge, and I will be judged by how I judge others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do Christians want to force their beliefs on everybody else?
Do you mean like they did when Christians fought to abolish slavery because it was morally wrong? I guess because of the concept of Imago Dei (“Image of God”: 16th Century Latin for “All Lives Matter”).

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What makes you unaware that Christians do not only advocate for but often provide healthcare for newborns?

They neither advocate for it nor provide it. Anecdotes don't count.

You are also assuming, on faith alone I suppose, somethings about the unborn, "don't have opinions or thoughts", that it is impossible to actually know.

It's impossible to have opinions without a functioning brain (though I'm sure some humorous examples will follow).

And another thing, "or sensory input", which is obviously false.

It's obviously true. There is no sensory input without a functioning brain. Mid-second-trimester at the earliest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, whose facts, and which of them? Regrettably, we often can't even agree on these matters.

Best wishes, Strivax.
Well, my statement was meant to be rhetorical. I usually refrain from engaging in this topic. I'm only willing to say that hypocritical judgment is not ethical nor moral.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While liberal individuals, politicians, schools, and media continue to secularize

One small point - It was Thomas Jefferson who asserted that religion should be separated from Government and enshrined that view in your constitution. Your founding fathers thought it imperative that the nation should not be founded as a religious state.

Therefore your opening statement despairing that religion doesn't direct government goes against the very beliefs of your founding fathers.

• Agree
Reactions: Strivax
Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, my statement was meant to be rhetorical. I usually refrain from engaging in this topic. I'm only willing to say that hypocritical judgment is not ethical nor moral.

Forget hypocrisy, if you can. For better or worse, we are all hypocrites to some greater or lesser degree, in that we know from the gospels how Jesus wants us to live our lives, but few of us manage to do so. Yet we still consider ourselves to be Christians. And casting blanket aspersions, while it might make for our own self-satisfaction, is a pretty useless exercise. Better, I think, to demonstrate by our example, than condemn by our words.

Best wishes, Strivax

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forget hypocrisy, if you can. For better or worse, we are all hypocrites to some greater or lesser degree, in that we know from the gospels how Jesus wants us to live our lives, but few of us manage to do so. And casting blanket aspersions, while it might make for our own self-satisfaction, is a pretty useless exercise. Better, I think, to demonstrate by our example, than condemn by our words.

Best wishes, Strivax
In my experience, The Holy Spirit of Truth convicts me of sin by showing me when and where I don't Love others as myself. Being shown where I draw lines for others to meet that I myself don't keep is the hypocrisy I am referring to. So, to reason upon factual events, I can't forget hypocrisy, nor should I want to. In fact, I'm thankful for His Loving correction.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One small point - It was Thomas Jefferson who asserted that religion should be separated from Government and enshrined that view in your constitution. Your founding fathers thought it imperative that the nation should not be founded as a religious state.

Therefore your opening statement despairing that religion doesn't direct government goes against the very beliefs of your founding fathers.
I think this is no small point. To claim to speak for God is not something one should take lightly.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I recall correctly, the Mayflower and its crew set sail to escape religious persecution. I do not for one moment think this persecution was instigated or approved by God. If that amounts to a claim to speak for God, then it is a risk I am willing to assume. As for Jefferson's determination to separate church from state, seen in this context it becomes entirely rational.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I recall correctly, the Mayflower and its crew set sail to escape religious persecution. I do not for one moment think this persecution was instigated or approved by God. If that amounts to a claim to speak for God, then it is a risk I am willing to assume. As for Jefferson's determination to separate church from state, seen in this context it becomes entirely rational.

Best wishes, Strivax.
It is true that every time we decide what is right or wrong about how to treat others, it could be said that we are saying what God would have us do. Some imagery of God must form in doing so and inadvertently we end up speaking for God in that sense.

However, traversing the semantics of terms should not be left to assumptions. For example, how do I know the pilgrims on the Mayflower were not the puritans that were oppressing and persecuting others and felt they were persecuted and oppressed for doing so? I'm reluctant to assume either way. And that's why I think Jefferson wanted separation of church and state, because the devil was in the details.

Upvote 0