Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm finding it hard to focus on one hobby at a time. My therapist recommends I do this, but I get so distracted easily. One minute I want to play my guitar (if it wasn't in need of a set-up) the next minute I want to get back to writing my poems, and then the next minute I want to draw. not to mention, I don't like being home anyway but I'm tired from work and oh yeah I want to study my Dungeons & Dragons books to be a game master.

what is a scatterbrain to do?? :idea::idea::idea:

@TheRealAriel your dating app feedback comment is :fire:

Miles
Miles
Maybe you're just a multifaceted person. I have lots of hobbies too, and only really happy when involved with all of them. Not necessarily at the same time, but planning time for each. You have the rest of your life to pursue them, so there's no rush.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,000,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doubt I will find the invested time to check it out myself, but, this new Wednesday Addams show on Netflix must be really catching on. I haven't stopped seeing this Jenna Ortega's face all over my Facebook feed for almost a month, now.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟211,043.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Free, unsolicited advice to men using a dating app by a woman frustrated with bumble to the point of deletion in less than 24 hours:
- fill out your bio and questions. You don’t want someone to judge you on looks? Give people more to base their choice on than looks!
- ESPECIALLY with Bumble where the woman is always the first to message- don’t say “want to know something, ask” and nothing else. It’s already hard for me to generate conversations out of a short profile. If you give me nothing else to talk about, don’t expect anything more than a frustrating cycle of “hey, how are you today?”

Coming from the other side of things, I can say that these aren't gender specific. Far too many women don't fill in their bio or have something completely uninformative. The worst I came across was one which said something along the lines of "I could write out a bio, but you can just ask me about myself once we've matched".

We could be well-suited for each other, but how am I supposed to have any inkling if you don't tell me anything about yourself?

• Agree
Reactions: TheRealAriel
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It’s supposed to be our busy season at work but we’ve been sooooo sloooooow. Today’s going to be a loooooong day (& then the 4 hours after work is done this evening is going to be done in 2 minutes).

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟907,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Free, unsolicited advice to men using a dating app by a woman frustrated with bumble to the point of deletion in less than 24 hours:
- fill out your bio and questions. You don’t want someone to judge you on looks? Give people more to base their choice on than looks!
- ESPECIALLY with Bumble where the woman is always the first to message- don’t say “want to know something, ask” and nothing else. It’s already hard for me to generate conversations out of a short profile. If you give me nothing else to talk about, don’t expect anything more than a frustrating cycle of “hey, how are you today?”
-don’t try to turn every conversation to something physical. You might think it’s super charming to talk about wanting to cuddle some girl within two messages of meeting her, but it actually screams “I’m a guy that’s going to instantly pressure you physically” and it ends the conversation every time.
-likewise, if I just asked you a thoughtful question or gave a thoughtful response.. don’t turn the conversation to “wow, you’re really pretty.” It’s not genuine and it’s not helping us get to know each other at all.

Gosh, there’s so many more I might have to make a full video or something about it. You always forget how worthless online dating is until you dip your toe in again to find such laziness and insincerity.

I hear that profile photos holding a fish they've caught is apparently common too haha.

TheRealAriel
TheRealAriel
Haha- it’s one of three things. Holding a fish, a selfie in their car where they aren’t smiling and look like they’ll definitely murder me, or it’s a mirror shot of them at the gym.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟211,043.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I hear that profile photos holding a fish they've caught is apparently common too haha.

I've read that too. I think it's because for many guys that's one of the few occasions that someone takes a picture of them, so that's what they end up using.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I gave up dating sites a couple years ago. You message 1000 girls & are lucky to get one reply that's only one word. Then she doesn't send a 2nd message. Waste of time & depressing. Unfortunately seems to be the new way to get dates but it doesn't work for a lot of guys like myself.

A lot of girls dont' even write anything in their bio so it's like talking to a blank wall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟190,758.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read that too. I think it's because for many guys that's one of the few occasions that someone takes a picture of them, so that's what they end up using.
I think you are right about that. I think most normal guys are not snapping selfies all the time or posing for pictures. Personally, I like the fish pics, haha. It is something that actually gets my attention. That and pictures with a dog :)

I think it shows that a guy is outdoorsy and I like that.

• Wow
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟383,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Dating profiles are, well, interesting is probably the wrong word. Occasionally curiosity gets the better of me and I join free sites just to see what's out there. Even if I don't interact. I've always been struck by how similar the profiles are. The bar photos with ex boyfriends, the selfies taken at strategic angles to hide her figure while simultaneously highlighting her tattoos etc. And those are the better ones. Some of them are probably sweethearts. Decent people who just want to live their best lives and find love, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not my type.

Sounds about right. Most non-selfie photos of me are hobby related or group shots. Those are what I have to choose from. If I fished more often, I'd probably include a fishing photo. Especially, if I was proud of what I caught. When a woman can't tolerate a man's pastimes, she's not the one for him.

Kind of like how at the end of the day I don't mind seeing the bar photos, the tattoos, the shots drinking wine with blurred exes etc. It tells me a little what a relationship with her would be like, and reinforces my desire to hold out for a better match.

For what it's worth, I agree with @TheRealAriel. Although I've never been on Bumble, people in general need to write better profiles. Pictures only say so much. Also, say more than "Hi" when messaging somebody. Maybe read up a little on how to initiate and hold a conversation. There are lots of tutorials online if you're not sure how. These are skills that can be learned.

Upvote 0

pen_and_poetry

Kale Queen
Nov 25, 2022
Orange county, CA
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I gave up dating sites a couple years ago. You message 1000 girls & are lucky to get one reply that's only one word. Then she doesn't send a 2nd message. Waste of time & depressing. Unfortunately seems to be the new way to get dates but it doesn't work for a lot of guys like myself.

A lot of girls dont' even write anything in their bio so it's like talking to a blank wall.

As a woman, I received TONS Of messages on online dating apps years ago. Sooo many were just some variation on "hey" or really rude pick-up lines that were spammed out. That being said, I totally responded to any guy that put in a little effort, even if I was telling him "no, thanks and good luck." So it just makes me wonder how many of these profiles are just bots or fake profiles to fill the search results, so there's no one there to really respond anyway? OLD takes a lot of work and I put a lot of effort into it--I can't imagine just... not responding to real people especially if the profile has been active recently.

I dunno, just my thoughts. I could be totally wrong. I have put off getting back into the OLD scene because I hated it, so maybe things have changed.

Reactions: DragonFox91
sampa
sampa
The short phrases of "hey", I found on particular dating apps. I didn't last long on those or invest much time. Especially the ones that I could see were a lot of fake profiles. Since the pandemic there have been a lot of changes with the different apps. I think 2020 was the height of online dating.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟211,043.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

I wouldn't say it's necessarily the way to get dates, but it is another way as it does widen your potential dating pool. I've had some success this year in that I've managed to get some dates from online dating with women I would never have come into contact with otherwise. Things didn't work out with any of them, but it didn't really have anything to do with how we met. We could have met in person first before going on a date and the eventual outcome would probably have been the same.

sampa
sampa
I agree! I feel it was well worth it for me these past 3 years with off and on online dating. It comes with good and bad, but was worthwhile in masticating me to do the work that needed to be done and opening doors to new opportunities in my life. I'm not the same person I was 3 years ago.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are You Afraid of the Dark used to creep me out so much as a kid! I couldn’t watch it at all! & I was quite the fraidy cat growing up too! I’d believe anything!

Even watching the intro now, it’s still creepy. Wow!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟242,980.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The one I hear people complaining about most is the shameless dog or cat pictures. Like: "look at me, I have a dog, they're cute, and I'm sensitive!" XD

Upvote 0

TheRealAriel

Peach
Mar 27, 2011
✟97,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Was just thinking.. I wonder if we could have a gathering sometime as a group? We could set up a zoom call, enjoy a long distance dinner together, maybe play some jackbox games together. Would be cool to have a virtual hangout with some people we’ve talked to for so long but never met.

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟242,980.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Was just thinking.. I wonder if we could have a gathering sometime as a group? We could set up a zoom call, enjoy a long distance dinner together, maybe play some jackbox games together. Would be cool to have a virtual hangout with some people we’ve talked to for so long but never met.
I'd be down.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,000,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just felt it necessary to show you the most recent desktop image that just flashed through on my PC.

It's epic. ^-^

Untitled90.png

Upvote 0